PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy replacement thermal pads for BFG 9800 GTX stock cooler?

/\/eutro
03-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Hey guys,

After some extensive tests I just found out that one of my 2 BFG 9800 GTX has a faulty RAM so it needs to be sent back to RMA :(

I changed the stock cooler for a Zalman VF1000 so I need to put the original one back before sending it to RMA.

The problem is that I didn't keep the thermal pads that linked the stock cooler with RAM and mofsets. :am:

I need to buy new ones so it doesn't look like I removed the original cooler.

Here is a picture of the stock cooler and thermal pads:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4528/gtx17.jpg

2 questions :

1°) It seems to me on the above picture that the GPU also has a thermal pad, or is it just thermal grease put in a perfect square?

2°) Where can I buy the needed thermal pads (RAM/Mofset and GPU if you think there is also one on it)?

I already made a search on the forum about this but all the topics I could find are kinda old so links are all deads. Also googled for some time but there is so much different types of thermal pads avariable that I don't know which one to get!

Any help would be much appreciated! http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0092.gif

/\/eutro
03-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Anyone? :(

Frag Maniac
03-20-2010, 04:19 PM
This...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7228/thr-43/Akasa_Thermal_Adhesive_Tape_-_80_x_80_mm_Square_AK-TT12-80.html

...or this should do ya.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5417/thr-33/Coollaboratory_Liquid_MetalPad_Thermal_Interface_P ads_x3.html

It was probably thermal paste on the GPU itself and those white chunks shown in the pic above are thermal tape, which is adequate for RAM and MOSFETs but not the GPU. The same site I linked to above has lots of thermal paste, Artic Silver is a tried and true brand. Newegg also has it, but you may get a better overall price if you can pay one shipping fee at Frozen CPU. I could not find thermal tape at Newegg, but they often ship each item from various vendors, so shipping can add up even if the prices are a bit lower.

If you've little or no paste left on the GPU, I recommended a thermal compound kit that comes with compound remover and thoroughly clean off the old before putting on the new, following the instructions carefully. If you plan to ever remove the GPU shroud again, for the pads I recommend the Akaska, which is the first link above. The other sets up as a liquid metal, which could make removal/reinstall more of a problem.

/\/eutro
03-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your answer Frag Maniac :)

oshimaida
03-29-2010, 06:41 AM
HI,
This may or not be any use to you but:-
Chilled pc can supply the Sekisui brand of thermal tape which in their blurb on their site says its the same as wot major manufacturers use.
Its sold in 1" wide strips some 6" long for the princley sum of one pound english.
Worth a look see at www.chilledpc.co.uk
Check with them as in the info I,ve just read it says do not use on cpu/gpu-chipsets,ram or video card memory are ok tho!!

570091D
03-29-2010, 06:44 PM
i've always used a liberal aplication of ceramiq to replace the thermal pads, if i recall correctly OEM's don't mind you removing the cooler so long as there is no physical damage to the card (xfx being the lone exception) and the original TIM is replaced.

Conumdrum
03-29-2010, 07:06 PM
HI,
This may or not be any use to you but:-
Chilled pc can supply the Sekisui brand of thermal tape which in their blurb on their site says its the same as wot major manufacturers use.
Its sold in 1" wide strips some 6" long for the princley sum of one pound english.
Worth a look see at www.chilledpc.co.uk
Check with them as in the info I,ve just read it says do not use on cpu/gpu-chipsets,ram or video card memory are ok tho!!

It's wayy to thin for replacement Ttape. If they open it up they will see it right away. It's the best tape, but it's adhesive, the stock stuff is thick, almost like paste and is not sticky at all.

So no to the Sekisui. It's the best, but won't work in this case.