PDA

View Full Version : LC Noob Here!

Nigel
03-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Hey, total liquid cooling noob here so forgive me. I’m looking to begin a LC or possibly chilled liquid setup. I don’t believe in budgets they only hinder results so what it costs is what it costs and feel free to go wild with suggestions.

My current setup is in my sig and I’ve come up with a basic list of components that I’d like to see in my build (unless better ones exist). I wanted to use is EK Nickel Acetal 5970 full cover blocks for the GPU’s, a full board block for the mobo (if possible) and an EK Supreme HF for the CPU. I was hoping to use one or two Iwaki RD-30 pumps depending upon how much flow I’ll need. My idea for radiators is to have a GTX 360 in the top of the case and a separate radiator box with 2 9x120 radiators and another GTX 360 with a big reservoir.

Temps wise I’d like to not see any more than 40C in the loop and I will add components where necessary to make this happen, my only need is that my system stay inside of the 800D.

Thanks!

Nigel

millertime359
03-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Let me get this clear. You don't mind having a seperate watercooled box. The 800D is a great case, but I really doubt it will hold any of the stuff you want it to hold.

A seperate case for your watercooling gear is best anyways. It allows you to get the best airflow you can and not have to worry about any heat dump from the components in your comp.

I like where you are going here though. I'm not certain if you need 2 RD-30s, I think 1 should be fine. You also might be over doing it with the rads. I think a couple of 480s would be plenty.

The size of the res doesn't matter. It's mostly there to aid in bleeding the loop.

Nigel
03-16-2010, 09:55 AM
All I need it to hold is one rad and my motherboard which is why the separate case will be necessary. Will two 480's allow me to hit my desired load temps?

millertime359
03-16-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm not positive. I hope some other vets will get in here.

If you want to do a separate case, I would put all your rads in it. There is still heat in the case which would effect the heat dissipation of the rad.

Vinas
03-16-2010, 10:30 AM
You will only need one RD-30. It's the little brother of the 20RLT (318GPH vs 420GPH) and I use the term "little" very loosely. Make sure you're using compressions because these pumps make clamps leak all day. Basically it's like having a firehose in your loop.

Nigel
03-16-2010, 10:54 AM
How many rads would be required to allow me to hit my target temperatures @ 4.0GHz (I hit 4.0GHz with a 1.35vcore which is a tad high for air IMO). I'd also like to clock my so that they are equal to Crossfire 5870's. I'm guessing ill need at least 1000W of heat dissipation for this stuff but I'm still unsure of exactly how heat wattage is calculated with computers because obviously not all the wattage your computer uses turns into heat. From what I've read a 360 rad will dissipate 250-300watts of heat with maximum fan speeds around 1500 RPM so by that standard I'd need 4 triples or 3 quads so twin 9x120's seems slightly overkill for my application but would work better.

And yes Vinas compressions were what I wanted to use for fittings.

Nigel
03-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Alright well I've decided to go with the RD-30 for sure but does anyone know the limit of its power (how many rads I'll be able to get through on 3/8ID tubing)?

Also is Tygon always the best option or is there manufacturer that makes a coloured similar if not better product because I'd like to avoid using dye in my fluid.

Thanks again!

Stealth42o
03-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Also is Tygon always the best option or is there manufacturer that makes a coloured similar if not better product because I'd like to avoid using dye in my fluid.

Thanks again!

No dye, your learning fast.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_413_292

Church
03-19-2010, 12:44 AM
I'd say no-no for RD30. Almost noone needs it's power in generic L/C loops, and certainly most don't need it's increased noise and heat dump compared to Laing's D5/DDC. Why not dual or tripple head with DDC-s?

Waterlogged
03-19-2010, 01:22 AM
I'd say no-no for RD30. Almost noone needs it's power in generic L/C loops, and certainly most don't need it's increased noise and heat dump compared to Laing's D5/DDC. Why not dual or tripple head with DDC-s?

Not to mention that I really doubt that your going to get 3/8" I.D. tubing onto the fittings of an RD-30, those things are huge. A dual DDC 3.25 setup will be very close to a RD-30, they have a good deal more pressure than any other current DDC's.

Vinas
03-19-2010, 05:22 AM
The main reason you might consider not running a RD-30 is because of the 24v power supply. If you already have a meanwell then don't be put off by supposed noise and heat dump. These pumps are near silent operation once all the air is bled from your loop. Heat dump is very little as well because the housing isn't attached to the impeller (magnetic). If you put a 80mm fan blowing on the housing then your RD-30 will run pretty cool. Like others have said, RD-30 is a bit overkill, but then you don't have to worry about it and you'll enjoy superior flowrate even with restrictive blocks and multi rad setups. So it's got its pros and cons. For first time water my instinct is to tell you to stay with the DDC. It's a great pump and will do what you're looking for it to do without the meanwell, extra fans, and fitting problems.

seeka12
03-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Maybe he can go for 2 loops and get dual DDC 3.25 with XSPC Premium Laing Dual DDC Clear Acrylic Top :D,i think this would be an overkill but that's also what the RD-30 is

Nigel
03-19-2010, 06:52 AM
The RD30 fittings are 5/8's apparently and there are adapters for 1/2 but I don't see anything about a 1/4's which is presumably what I'll need unless its a talking about 5/8ID tubing which is ridiculous. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm also in need of 2 Crossfire connections so I'd like to use the Bitspower SLI connectors for it but im not sure what size ill need as I have to skip 2 PCI sockets.

Exactly what would I need for a very powerful dual or triple DDC setup? Do they work in together or are they meant for multiple loops.

seeka12
03-19-2010, 07:13 AM
why don't you want to go with the DDC's ?IMO if you went for dual loops one for the cpu and the other for the GPU and the full cover block with dual DDC 3.25 with an EK or a XSPC top for each loop,2 Black Ice GTX480 one for each loop with high CFM fans like the Panaflo's or Delta's fans and i think you will be able to hit these temperatures

Edit:till now no answer on why you don't want to use DDCs instead of the Iwaki RD-30,BTW Iwaki's pump noise might sound high to you also

Nigel
03-19-2010, 07:18 AM
I'd rather go with a single loop and very large radiators rather than two small delta powered hovercrafts

seeka12
03-19-2010, 07:21 AM
I'd rather go with a single loop and very large radiators rather than two small delta powered hovercrafts

you can go with a 2 feser 480 or 2 XSPC RX 480 with Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM fans if noise is an issue

shazza
03-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Still trying to figure out the allure of the RD30.

Nigel
03-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Edit:till no no answer on why you don't want to use DDCs instead of the Iwaki RD-30,BTW Iwaki's pump noise might sound high to you also

I'm just unfamiliar with them so I sourced the biggest pump I could find for our application.

seeka12
03-19-2010, 07:31 AM
The RD30 fittings are 5/8's apparently and there are adapters for 1/2 but I don't see anything about a 1/4's which is presumably what I'll need unless its a talking about 5/8ID tubing which is ridiculous. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm also in need of 2 Crossfire connections so I'd like to use the Bitspower SLI connectors for it but im not sure what size ill need as I have to skip 2 PCI sockets.

Exactly what would I need for a very powerful dual or triple DDC setup? Do they work in together or are they meant for multiple loops.

well there is XSPC Dual top which allows you to use 2 DDC pumps in series for one loop,XSPC triple top that allows you to use 3 DDC pumps n series for one loop,actually if you have the money using 2 or 3 DDC 3.25 with XSPC dual or triple DDC top might not be a crazy idea,or you could go with 2 loops and use 2 DDC 3.25 with an XSPC Dual DDC top for each loop,IMO for the whole project you won't need more than 2 DDC 3.25 and everything more than that will be considered an overkill and i don't think it will help in decreasing temperatures

Kurz
03-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Still trying to figure out the allure of the RD30.

I think the problem of understanding lies with the difference between the X and Y chromosome.

shazza
03-19-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm just unfamiliar with them so I sourced the biggest pump I could find for our application.

The biggest pump is not necessarily the best. Ideally, you want enough pumping power to give you decent flow, but not so much that you generate unnecessary heat or noise. Plus there is the extra power requirements to consider.

I have no experience with the RD30, so I'm not saying to get it or not get it. What I can say is the more commonly used pumps work quite well. A dual DDC (e.g. MCP 355) setup will handle just about anything you throw at it.

seeka12
03-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Also Tygon isn't the best,the best would be Primochill tubings and yes they are colored

Delirious
03-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Also Tygon isn't the best,the best would be Primochill tubings and yes they are colored

I think tubing is highly subjective because as long as the tubing doesn't spring a leak, holds a seal around the bards, and is easy to work with its good tubing IMHO.

I've been using 7/16" masterkleer for years and think its the best tubing because its so cheap and works great. :)

Waterlogged
03-19-2010, 08:53 AM

The O.D. on inlet and outlet is ~.71" (that's almost 3/4"). Read this topic on DDC's (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245795), you'll see a single DDC 3.25 will likely be more than you'll really need. If you still have the need for obscene power, just get a second 3.25. ;)

Nigel
03-24-2010, 06:23 AM
Alright so I've ordered all my blocks
EK Supreme HF Nickel Acetal
EK 5970 Nickel Acetal x2
EK Mosfet Nickel Acetal
EK NB/SB P6T Block

Still lost as far as pumps go and since I've heard nothing good about Magicool's NOVA 1080 I've decided to go with the MO-RA2's for my exterior rad box but haven't ordered them yet. For the interior of my case I've ordered a Black Ice GTX 360 and a GTX 140. Plumbing will be dealt with with Bitspower fittings and Primochill tubing (hopefully it'll bend into some Malik style magic). I tried to stay away form the 90's but had to get one for my GPU's. Will it significantly slow down the flow?

I'll have to start a worklog soon. How close do you think a setup with 3 MO-RA2's will get me to my desired temps at load >40C.

Anyhow thanks lot!

Church
03-24-2010, 08:22 AM
One 90 will not make much difference. Of course, it's better without, if it's not big number of those, not so mega important.
Rather think that 3 MO-RA 2's = lots of restriction. no. LOTS of restriction (more restriction then 9 and more 3x120mm rads). Use dual or even tripple DDC top with those, with DDC's big head pressure. I doubt that iwaki rd30 can be considered here. mo-ras work best for passive or slow speed fans, so why would one use powerful and loud pump with those. Well, if you put one Mo-Ra per loop, then again it's not that bad and one DDC per loop should do. If you want to go high airflow route, better choose some high-finned rads, eg. Black Ice GTX 140mm ones.
I am guessing that you'll have those on passive cooling? or bying 3 x 3x3 (27) 120mm fans? :)

Nigel
03-24-2010, 09:05 AM
I was thinking 27 low speed fans and the RD-30 is out of the question I was hoping my loop would look something like this:
Res> Dual Top Pump> GTX360> Pump> MO-RA2> Pump> MO-RA2> Pump> MO-RA2> Mosfet> Mosfet> CPU> RAM(maybe)> NB/SB> GPU> GPU> GTX140 >.

I don't know whether that many pumps is overkill maybe I can do with 3 or 4 but I know for a fact I will FOR SURE need one in my rad box. I don't necessarily need to use the MO-RA2's but I'd like to use some sizable radiators maybe adapt/buy a vehicle sized radiator from a Volvo VH series truck (copper cores). lol The closer I get to ambient on this build the happier I'll be. And will a large res in my rad box (4-5L) decrease my temps (more water = longer it takes to heat up therefore longer it has to dissipate heat?).

Can you suggest a specific dual top (preferably black) and everything I'll need to put it in my drive bays (sans murder mods).

Church
03-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Pump location in loop wont change anything regarding flow. Flow and pressure (and mostly temp too) is same everywhere in loop (except maybe insides of reservoir :) And 5 pumps per loop is overkill as much as rd30 is :)
If you want to go single loop with all those monstrosities in it, imho tripple ddc top will do, and will be _way_ simplier to find place in case for it, then place for one dual top and three extra pumps :)
If you specificly ask for black dual top - EK dual ddc rev2 is one of them. IIRC xspc also made dual and tripple tops, see through acrylic ones though.
But in general .. why don't you split loops at least in two? one with one Mo-Ra and cpu, another one with two mo-ra-s and dual pump top? Or kill liquid cooling addicts who suggested MOAR RADS 4TW!
(slowly hiding to not get beating myself)
So at the end i'd say, that one Mo-Ra with fans should be enough to cool everything. And one or two ddc pumps to pump loop with it and all the blocks in loop.
Two Mo-Ra-s .. only if you plan on passive cooling. Three? - If you plan to donate third to someone :) (quickly jumping out of hiding spot). I'd calculate something like 3x120mm rad area for one overclocked i7, 2x120mm per each gpu, if you use fans on rad. 1 Mo-Ra 2 with fans (even slow speed) = enough.
P.S.
I'd suggest to go with rads with slow fans route. Silent enough, but even with veery slow air flow rads dissipate much more heat then in passive mode. I might be wrong, but it could be 4 times more. Also - less rads = simplier to mount them/find place for 'em.

Toolius
03-24-2010, 09:31 AM
This is looking very very interesting !
Sub'd :)
someday id love to do the same.. i work in the audio industry and silence to us is golden :)
Kicka** stuff.
Cheers!

Waterlogged
03-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Alright so I've ordered all my blocks
EK Supreme HF Nickel Acetal
EK 5970 Nickel Acetal x2
EK Mosfet Nickel Acetal
EK NB/SB P6T Block

Still lost as far as pumps go and since I've heard nothing good about Magicool's NOVA 1080 I've decided to go with the MO-RA2's for my exterior rad box but haven't ordered them yet. For the interior of my case I've ordered a Black Ice GTX 360 and a GTX 140. Plumbing will be dealt with with Bitspower fittings and Primochill tubing (hopefully it'll bend into some Malik style magic). I tried to stay away form the 90's but had to get one for my GPU's. Will it significantly slow down the flow?

I'll have to start a worklog soon. How close do you think a setup with 3 MO-RA2's will get me to my desired temps at load >40C.

Anyhow thanks lot!

:rofl::ROTF::rofl:

You want to use 3 Mo-Ra's, that have something like 19 180° bends each, but your worried about a handful of 90° fittings.:ROTF::ROTF:

There are a couple of dual DDC tops I'm aware of that are black, one is made by Aqua-computer, and one by EK. If you use one dual top in the system and use more pumps, I would recommend using 2 dual tops because there is a definite pressure increase compare to want a single pump can do. Personally, I think 2 single DDC 3.25's spread apart half way through the loop ought to be sufficient.

Nigel
03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Okay so from what I gather DDC's are pretty "cookie cutter"/lego and you can add any DDC to any top. Am I correct in this assumption?