PDA

View Full Version : Big temp difference of Gtx 285 sli ? (problem solved thanks to Kibbler)

Kanzy
03-15-2010, 11:19 PM
So I finally put my second 285 into my rig today and turned SLI on. Then when I check with realtemp, I found a huge temp delta between the two card. One of them idle at 38C while the other one is idel at 56c, I am sure the block were installed okay since I been using the old one (which is the higher temp one right now) for sometime now and it used to idle at 36c when on it's own.

It's this a normal thing to happen for SLI? Because one card is on 8X(higher temp) and the other one is on 16X? Why am I have a huge temp raise from single card?

Here is a pic for it, the lower card is the higher temp one, as you can see that both of the top card and the lower CPU(35C) has lower temp and the water block on the card does feel alot warmer, so the card is making alot more heat I assume? The tube on the top and bottom both feel cold.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2803/4436999957_dd045a5e26_b.jpg

billyboy
03-15-2010, 11:21 PM
doesnt sound right to me. Sounds like you need to reseat those blocks. what radiator are you using???

Kanzy
03-15-2010, 11:25 PM
doesnt sound right to me. Sounds like you need to reseat those blocks. what radiator are you using???

I am using a feser GTX 480 with 4*G-FLEX 1950 rpm, the card was totally fine when I had the single card and the new card does have a good temp. As the block itself is alot warmer too thou.

Kibbler
03-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Dead obvious.;)

Just look at the photo for a minute.

Old card is getting no coolant movement, it's shooting straight through to the top (new) card. Move the bottom inlet to the one on the left.

nlancaster
03-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Kibbler is right on. you need to fix that asap. I have seen cards die because of that, just as Darthbeavis.

gergregg
03-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Dead obvious.;)

Old card is getting no coolant movement, it's shooting straight through to the top (new) card. Move the bottom inlet to the one on the left.

:up:

Waterlogged
03-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Dead obvious.;)

+1:yepp:

Kanzy
03-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Dead obvious.;)

OMG, you are such a life saver, five mintures swithed it, and now bottom card 36c and top card 37c, thanks so much, I would have scratch my head all night and blame it on SLI, and had a good chance to break one of the card. :D:clap::up:

NaeKuh
03-16-2010, 09:26 AM
if u were to put another bridge in next to the one u already have, ud make a working F paralell also.

But what u did is almost like what people do when they paralell a tri sli setup. :wasntme:

Vinas
03-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Nice catch guys.