PDA

View Full Version : New plated blocks at Sidewinders

taters mcgee
03-15-2010, 07:09 AM
I was just browsing Sidewinder's shop, and i noticed this little beauty: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/hecpure13lie1.html
here's a picture: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/sidewindercomputers_2098_73824147

seeka12
03-15-2010, 07:35 AM
OMG it is 150$ i don't think that it is worth it,i would like to know if there is any crazy one who would buy or bought it :D

squishee
03-15-2010, 07:36 AM
id buy it in a heartbeat..if it works as well as the copper edition i have now..

taters mcgee
03-15-2010, 07:44 AM
id buy it in a heartbeat..if it works as well as the copper edition i have now..

The plating is thin enough that it wouldn't make any difference, but, because of the plating, it won't get all ugly from oxidation

seeka12
03-15-2010, 07:54 AM

Good luck Mr. extravagant:rolleyes:,i think the performance doesn't justify the cost,For half the price you can buy the new EK Supreme HF that would beat it,of course it looks pretty but do you think it is worth 150$:shakes::confused:

shazza
03-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Each to their own ... I think this has been available for several months now. If someone wants to spend the $$, it's their choice.

SoulsCollective
03-15-2010, 07:57 AM
The custom plates ones have been available for yonks. TBPH, I'd avoid in favour of an EK Supreme-HF Nickel version, which will look just as bling while performing better.

millertime359
03-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Yea, nothing new here. They have had these for almost 6 months. They are too expensive too.

voklskier4452
03-15-2010, 08:16 AM
This has been available for quite some time from Gary, I wont name who does the plating since the history between him and this site is rather heated. Personally I find these blocks hideous, I am all for bare copper it doesn't get any better than that.

squishee
03-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Good luck Mr. extravagant:rolleyes:,i think the performance doesn't justify the cost,For half the price you can buy the new EK Supreme HF that would beat it,of course it looks pretty but do you think it is worth 150$:shakes::confused:

well ty for that..:up: um im not a kid and i know how to make my own money and am lucky enough to make lots of it so yea 150 wont hurt my pockets and to think i was gonna get you one too

Waterlogged
03-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Ooo, that's the "FTW" edition.:ROTF::rofl:

:down:

NKrader
03-15-2010, 09:37 AM
I own nickel hk from sidewinder.. also had to buy 775 mounting kit for 15$ and backplate for 7, amazing block really is my fav part of my rig.

NKrader
03-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Long story short. Yes it is worth that much because now I have something that gives my rig character.. not some cookiecutter wc rig.. as much.. lol obviously tons of people have nickel HK.. but still

millertime359
03-15-2010, 09:45 AM

:cool: :yepp:

seeka12
03-15-2010, 10:01 AM
well ty for that..:up: um im not a kid and i know how to make my own money and am lucky enough to make lots of it so yea 150 wont hurt my pockets and to think i was gonna get you one too

well i know that i shouldn't have written my real age because i know that people will always consider me a kid when they know that i am 15 years old but i was really trying to be brave when i decided to confess in my signature that i am just 15 years old really and i was just expressing my idea and being 15 years old doesn't hurt,does it ?

Edit:i have another confession,here in Egypt we have i7s DX11 cards and these stuff but actually out of 85 million person i can assure you that the number of people watercooling their computers here are not more than 20 :D and i am not one of them :( because actually here in Egypt there are no water cooling stuff ,and if you told someone you are going to water cool your computer they will think you are crazy and laugh because they don't know that computers can be water cooled :D (of course there are experienced users who know about water cooling),one day when i grow up i am sure that i will order water cooling stuff and ship them internationally :D

millertime359
03-15-2010, 10:05 AM
LOL

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/hecpure13lie.html --- $120

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/hecpure13lie1.html ----$150

Must be some really good plating seeing it costs $30 to plate the base. :shrug:

I really like Gary, he is a great guy and takes care of his customers. I just don't understand these blocks.

Waterlogged
03-15-2010, 10:15 AM
LOL

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/hecpure13lie.html --- $120

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/hecpure13lie1.html ----$150

Must be some really good plating seeing it costs $30 to plate the base. :shrug:

I really like Gary, he is a great guy and takes care of his customers. I just don't understand these blocks.

I saw something somewhere a while ago where the person that does the dis-assembly and re-assembly mentioned that there was a lot of work involved in taking them apart and putting them back together again.:eh::stick:

ballzD33P
03-15-2010, 10:26 AM

which is much better than the "we paid for red letters" edition.....

millertime359
03-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I saw something somewhere a while ago where the person that does the dis-assembly and re-assembly mentioned that there was a lot of work involved in taking them apart and putting them back together again.:eh::stick:

O yea, silly me. :rolleyes:

shazza
03-15-2010, 10:40 AM
OK folks, let's please keep away from the origins of the block - keep the discussion on the aesthetics / performance.

NKrader
03-15-2010, 10:44 AM

they are charging that much cuz they can. anything they had to do to plate the top is already done. ie tap screw holes out. thats about it.. so it really is 30$ just to get the base plated sence it would be the only associated peice needing to get worked.. :shakes:

ballzD33P
03-15-2010, 10:46 AM
OK folks, let's please keep away from the origins of the block - keep the discussion on the aesthetics / performance.

fair nuff... i think people fail to take into account that everybody lives in different geographical regions with different costs of living.

For instance, i lived in staten island for a few years. 150 dollars was simply a drop in the bucket.

I now live in central pennsyl-tucky, where things are "slightly' different....:shocked:

ballzD33P
03-15-2010, 10:50 AM
they are charging that much cuz they can. anything they had to do to plate the top is already done. ie tap screw holes out. thats about it.. so it really is 30$ just to get the base plated sence it would be the only associated peice needing to get worked.. :shakes:

do you have ANY experience plating copper? 30 dollars to chrome plate something is too much? really? can you plz source me somewhere that does the same quality of work and is cheaper? do you have any idea of the costs involved?

do you have ANY experience with gary of sidewinders?

btw, these are rhetorical

NKrader
03-15-2010, 10:52 AM
do you have ANY experience plating copper? 30 dollars to chrome plate something is too much? really? can you plz source me somewhere that does the same quality of work and is cheaper? do you have any idea of the costs involved?

yes i have worked with metal. yes i have priced getting stuff plated. yes i do have an idea of costs involved. because I have been looking to get all of my ek motherboard blocks coated and I was looking at getting regular HK3.0 plated myself. just got impacient in the end and got it predone..

yes ive delt with sidewinder i got my nickelplated HK from them..

im not some idiot posting nonsence.. if i post it I usually know what i am talking about

ballzD33P
03-15-2010, 10:54 AM
yes i have worked with metal. yes i have priced getting stuff plated. yes i do have an idea of costs involved.

yes ive delt with sidewinder i got my nickelplated HK from them..

im not some idiot posting nonsence.. if i post it I usually know what i am talking about

forgive me if im mistaken, but you said that 30 dollars was wayy to much to have the bottom plate chrome plated?

can you source another example or a shop that would do it for cheaper while maintaining the same level of quality?
b/c if you do, tell me.

NKrader
03-15-2010, 10:56 AM
forgive me if im mistaken, but you said that 30 dollars was wayy to much to have the bottom plate chrome plated?

can you source another example or a shop that would do it for cheaper while maintaining the same level of quality?
b/c if you do, tell me.

want me to post phone numbers? :shrug: got a couple shops that would do one small peice like that for like 10.. also taking into account that it costs them alot alot alot less becuase they are running so much copper thru at once they can fit more in for one run..

EDIT : also i dont think that they charge too much for the block there is a fair ammount of labor and skill involved with doing this I just dont understand why the block didnt come with the bottom plated to begin with.. everyones gotta make their money. i guess i dont mind too much..

ballzD33P
03-15-2010, 10:58 AM
want me to post phone numbers? :shrug: got a couple shops that would do one small peice like that for like 10.. also taking into account that it costs them alot alot alot less becuase they are running so much copper thru at once they can fit more in for one run..

yes, plz PM me with that information if you can, it would be greatly appreciated.

NKrader
03-15-2010, 11:01 AM
yes, plz PM me with that information if you can, it would be greatly appreciated.

alot of times if you call out of state its cheaper i know when getting parts chromed we send em to texas becuase state laws in washington make chroming things very very expencive.. so if you send out of state you will get it cheaper.. try shops in texas. or go to www.google.com and search "plating vancouver wa" and you will find all the shops that I found.

overclocking101
03-15-2010, 11:16 AM
guys we all know the reason for the extra charge and knowing gary he's breaking even on it maybe making $5 if he's lucky. fact is He had to ship all the bottoms out get them plated ad then have them shipped back. do the math. Also says right on it eveythin has been pre worked which means when you plate something it adds dimension not there before so the screw holes the screw taps everything was a bit smaller after the plating and had to be worked in order for the screws etc to fit correctly. You guys wanna do all that yourselfs?? didnt think so. Gary is a good guy and treats his customers well, better than anyone I have ever dealt with. He doesnt just jack prices just because he can, if you were talking performance-pcs I would agree but your not. And thats all I have to say about that.

NKrader
03-15-2010, 11:18 AM
guys we all know the reason for the extra charge and knowing gary he's breaking even on it maybe making $5 if he's lucky. fact is He had to ship all the bottoms out get them plated ad then have them shipped back. do the math. Also says right on it eveythin has been pre worked which means when you plate something it adds dimension not there before so the screw holes the screw taps everything was a bit smaller after the plating and had to be worked in order for the screws etc to fit correctly. You guys wanna do all that yourselfs?? didnt think so. Gary is a good guy and treats his customers well, better than anyone I have ever dealt with. He doesnt just jack prices just because he can, if you were talking performance-pcs I would agree but your not. And thats all I have to say about that.

yea i know that it is a reasonable price for the whole package.. im just saying that adding the bottom to the mix does not cost him anywhere near 30$ because hes already doing the tops..

i dont really care as im not a tight a$$ with my money and dont care about it that much. i just think its funny that he adds 30$ for somthing that should have been done to begin with.

and yes everyone keeps saying all the stuff involved with plating.. yes i know ive gotten motorcycle parts chromed before.. ive tapped screw holes.. its not that hard its just scary.

taters mcgee
03-15-2010, 11:28 AM
For anybody questioning why these cost so much, the fact is, that the plater does amazing work(Jay Leno uses him), and all of the blocks receive buffing and polishing prior to plating(nickel won't just absorb those machining marks)
edit: here's a picture of the base of a gpu block done with nickel/chrome/buffing/polishing: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/sidewindercomputers_2096_12226325

squishee
03-15-2010, 11:35 AM
well i know that i shouldn't have written my real age because i know that people will always consider me a kid when they know that i am 15 years old but i was really trying to be brave when i decided to confess in my signature that i am just 15 years old really and i was just expressing my idea and being 15 years old doesn't hurt,does it ?

Edit:i have another confession,here in Egypt we have i7s DX11 cards and these stuff but actually out of 85 million person i can assure you that the number of people watercooling their computers here are not more than 20 :D and i am not one of them :( because actually here in Egypt there are no water cooling stuff ,and if you told someone you are going to water cool your computer they will think you are crazy and laugh because they don't know that computers can be water cooled :D (of course there are experienced users who know about water cooling),one day when i grow up i am sure that i will order water cooling stuff and ship them internationally :D
My intent wasnt to belittle you for being young.Sorry if i did.Your original question was who would buy it.I said i would and was then called extravagant. ..if me buying a 150 dollar block puts me in that class so be it..You would really not like that i have a 1000s in parts for what ?Just something that entertains me.Im all for young people in this hobby .Soon you will get old have more dispensable income too. I just hope you stay in the hobby long enough to look back at the time you thought a 150 dollar block was frivolous..

seeka12
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM
My intent wasn't to belittle you for being young.Sorry if i did.Your original question was who would buy it.I said i would and was then called extravagant. ..if me buying a 150 dollar block puts me in that class so be it..You would really not like that i have a 1000s in parts for what ?Just something that entertains me.Im all for young people in this hobby .Soon you will get old have more dispensable income too. I just hope you stay in the hobby long enough to look back at the time you thought a 150 dollar block was frivolous..

Actually i was just joking when i said extravagant and i knew that people buy these extreme parts,at least Xtremesytems's users do and actually i think that i will stay long in this hobby because i am really obsessed with everything related with computers since i was 10:)

millertime359
03-15-2010, 12:00 PM

I don't think anyone here is trying to "bash" Gary. He is one of the preferred vendors on this site. Many people use him and he is recommended to all new comers to the site.

When these first came out, some of the vets came on and were discussing the costs of plating. Many could get the plating done for cheaper and still have a quality job done.

If you find a shop you want to use and find they have a volume discount, post it here. Many of the people here would probably be willing to add their blocks to the order to help with that cost.

overclocking101
03-15-2010, 12:48 PM
nice pic of that gpu base!

JASSAF
03-15-2010, 01:36 PM
I write you not to talk about the price of the chrome...but of its utility :yepp:

the NICKEL is a bad heat conductor and Chromium is worst, besides de layer for the galvanoplasty is not as thin as the niquel one...that might lead to loose some few tenths of a degree in his performance . this reminds me of a thread regarding degree of tenths that was made about the EK_HF revison trough VAPOR. :rolleyes:

Gary can tell us if this comparative test has already been done :confused:

the final look mirror type canīt be achieved using Nickel nor Chromium: that can only be achieved with sanding and polishing

The following is my final prototype with nickel: :up:

rge
03-15-2010, 03:15 PM
I am just glad companies are offering more choices like this. If that block was available when I bought my HK, no question I would have paid $150 for it. Used to be performance or price, often best performing parts were ugly. I have yet to build based on aesthetics, but after seeing some of shazza, malek, and many others builds, I now want to try a build with performance and aesthetics. Powder coating is expensive, so is nickel coating, but more choice is never a bad thing. Want just bang for buck, it is there. Nice to see we have some high performance aesthetic choices now as well.

mcj3871
03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
This air HSF is close in price how come no one complains about it? I know for a fact it will not work near as well. Cooler Master V10 TEC CPU Cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103056)
I own one of the chrome plated HK 3.0's that didn't get the base plated and I'll be buying one of the bases if he gets just the base on the site too. As well it is worth it if you don't have to worry about crap growing in your block. I'll also be looking in to the $300-$350 pure silver block talked about on that site as well. If you have the money to water cool your computer why not go all out and do it with some bling.