PDA

View Full Version : Xfx 250 gts

*hondo*
03-14-2010, 02:09 AM
Hello folks :) I would be grateful of some help please with what you guys will probably consider a really dummy of a question, I'm a very old guy with an avid old guys interest in PCs and there maintenance. I got the 250GTS to up my point score in Folding@Home. :D

I live in a dusty area and keep dogs that shed their coats like dog coats are going out of fashion, because of that I have little alternative to but to clean out both the CPU H/S & PSU every couple of months, & guess I need to do the same with the 250GTS card. I prefer to do this using a small brush after dislodging first, I then use canned air <--- I don't trust this stuff alone in areas that I can't see.

Get ready, because here comes the real dummy question. :(

For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the plastic casing off of the XFX 250GTS to ensure that I've removed all of the dogs coat debris. Any help / advice would be much appreciated thanks

ReverendMaynard
03-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Remove all of the screws on the back and pull the entire front off.

*hondo*
03-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Thank you very much for the reply ReverendMaynard :up:

Wow, that sounds simple enough.

Will doing this disturb the H/S from the GPU?
The reason I ask is ATM I have no thermal paste, which would mean a trip out next week end.

:)

K404
03-14-2010, 10:29 AM
The plastic casing of the HSF is attached to the heatsink itself... so yea, it will disturb the contact. The access screws are on the underside of the heatsink, which is hidden by the PCB.... if that makes any sense. You'd have to remove the lot to get at them... which is kinda why they are where they are.

:)

Flipside... you get to re-apply the thermal paste which might help your temps :)

Welcome to XS!!

*hondo*
03-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks very much for the reply K404 & the welcome :)

:up:

bobmorton
11-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Yes sir just remove all the screws and that's it. But be sure you can get it back again. :D

Bob Morton
WOW leveling product guide (http://www.wowblackbook.com/wow-leveling-guide.php) and Marriage in crisis (http://www.savemymarriagetoday.com/articles/marriage-crisis-management/) blog reader