PDA

View Full Version : Looking for pictures of a watercooled setup in a Silerstone TJ-09

Airbrushkid
03-13-2010, 03:50 AM
Looking for pictures of a watercooled setup in a Silerstone TJ-09. I just got a Silverstone TJ-09 Black case with window. And plan on water cooling my cpu, video card, I want to leave the Rad outside the case and like to see some pictures of what others with this case have done. The system is not the one in my sig.

SoulsCollective
03-13-2010, 05:02 AM
Currently running sig-rig, which is a modded TJ-09 with full internal WC - which doesn't quite sound like what you're after, being internal. Would be happy to take pics tomorrow when the light improves, or answer any questions.

Airbrushkid
03-13-2010, 05:13 AM
Yes that would be nice. Thank you and cannot wait to see those pictures.

Currently running sig-rig, which is a modded TJ-09 with full internal WC - which doesn't quite sound like what you're after, being internal. Would be happy to take pics tomorrow when the light improves, or answer any questions.

SoulsCollective
03-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Right. You'll have to excuse picture quality, I've been too busy to unplug and take outside into natural lighting so I've had to use flash to counteract CCFLs, plus of course compression needed due to non-paid Photobucket size restrictions.

Anyway.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u80/collectiveLAN/TJ-09%20WC/DPP_0001.jpg

Rough layout. You can see everything here except the front bay reservoir and the top-mounted MCR-320. Res -> pumps -> MCR-120 mounted in mid-intake -> EK mobo block -> MCR-120 mounted in exhaust -> EK-Supreme -> MCR-320 mounted at top -> res.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u80/collectiveLAN/TJ-09%20WC/DPP_0002.jpg

Detail of pump area. 2x MCP-355 with XSPC Dual-DDC top, resting on gel. Pump inlet is coming down from bay reservoir, outlet is feeding to the mid-intake mounted MCR-120 via one BP rotary 90 fitting coupled with one BP 45 non-rotary elbow.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u80/collectiveLAN/TJ-09%20WC/DPP_0003.jpg

This is the mod I made to the top of the case. Took the existing mesh cutout and extended it forwards, made up my own mesh out of marine-grade Al. If I was to do it again I'd choose mesh with a little more airflow, but it does look really great in person. The rad is held in place with some brackets bent up for the purpose, held on by three screws each side.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u80/collectiveLAN/TJ-09%20WC/DPP_0004.jpg

Detail of the bracket screw area, showing two out of three screws.

Tubing used throughout is Primochill Pro-LRT 7/16" ID 5/8" OD, fans are all Scythe S-FLEX "F" models running at about 5V. This loop has enough heat dissipation capacity to deal with CPU, mobo and VGA, but because I'm rather partial to a quiet PC and am therefore running fans far out of efficiency bracket I'm only doing mobo and CPU at present. Future plans are to purchase an Aquaero to handle fan speed control, so when I'm gaming or stress-testing I can have the fans be a little more powerful to keep temps under control and can therefore throw the 5870 under water as well, and replace the S-FLEXs with some 1850RPM Gentle Typhoons.

Any questions?

Airbrushkid
03-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah why 3 rads? You got a 320 and two 120's. The 320 should be more then enough. I am using a Thermochill PA-120-3 For my cpu right now and in the new case the same accept I will be adding in a EK waterblock for my GTX 285.

bobruto
03-14-2010, 12:50 AM
SoulsCollective, have you considered turning the pumps/top assembly 90 degrees so that both inlet and outlet are pointing upwards?
That would make those tube bends a little less tight

SoulsCollective
03-14-2010, 01:03 AM
Yeah why 3 rads? You got a 320 and two 120's. The 320 should be more then enough. I am using a Thermochill PA-120-3 For my cpu right now and in the new case the same accept I will be adding in a EK waterblock for my GTX 285.Well, keep in mind you have an old s939 Opty, whereas I'm running an i7 920 at 4.1GHz. TDP of an Opteron 185 was, what, 100W? Maybe hitting 150W when heavily OC'd? TDP of an i7 920 is about 130W stock, will hit 200+ when OC'd. These suckers put out a lot of heat. The more radiator surface area I have, the lower speed I have to run the fans - at 5V, these S-FLEXs are completely inaudible :)

Furthermore, you won't fit a PA120.3 in the TJ-09 at top. There's simply not enough room. An MCR-320 is 34mm thick, a PA120.3 is 61mm thick. Pair that with 25mm fans, and you arrive at a ~6cm thick sandwich for the MCR-320, but ~8.5cm thick for the PA120.3. There's about half a centimetre of wasted space at the top of the TJ-09 due to obstructions meaning you can't strap a rad flat to it, so that means we arrive at a total of 6.5cm for the MCR-320 but a whopping 9cm for the PA120.3 - and nine centimetres overhangs the motherboard and obstructs the CPU and DIMM slots on a standard-layout board. I looked into this back when I first got this case and was investigating building a WC loop inside it, and only thin rads like the Swiffy MCR series or the HWLabs BI/SR series will fit.

However, as you want to do an external loop, you could well hang the PA off the back (although the orientation of the back 120mm exhaust fan means you're going to be obstructing the back I/O ports and expansion card slots somewhat) and then mount a 240mm rad at top (Silverstone sells a radiator support bracket meaning no cutting or modding necessary) for the GPU. I LAN far too much for external rads, though, and internal WC is so much cleaner-looking IMHO :p:

SoulsCollective, have you considered turning the pumps/top assembly 90 degrees so that both inlet and outlet are pointing upwards?
That would make those tube bends a little less tightLooked into it back when I moved to the dual-DDC setup. Decided against it though, as in that orientation you see more of the pumps jutting up into view through the window, rather than just the top of the pump top and a little of the impellers (which looks quite nice), and the pumps can't rest on the gel. This way is actually a fair bit quieter (plus, I imagine, easier on the impeller shaft). Due to judicious use of elbows, the bends made are sweeping enough that the flow-rate impact is negligible within my ability to measure (ie. due to lack of sophisticated testing equipment, a bucket and a stopwatch was used :p: ).

Airbrushkid
03-14-2010, 01:22 AM
I am mounting the PA 120-3 on top of the case. You said you lan with it. Well I think the TJ-09 would be way to big to drag around to lan parties.

SoulsCollective
03-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Heh, you'd be surprised. Most of my mates have even larger cases, like LiLi 2000 series, CM Cosmos', Corsair 800Ds, Tt Armour/Kandalf etc. Even mounted on wheels, my 09 only comes up to my knee, which is plenty small enough for me, and being made mostly of Al means it's not actually all that heavy.

Airbrushkid
03-14-2010, 01:48 AM
Well if I was into lan parties I would build a small and very powerful set up that could be carried with one hand. When my TJ-09 showed up, the box it came in had me thinking it was really huge. But when I took it out of the box it was still huge but small enough to put on my desk.

Ketzer7
03-14-2010, 08:09 AM
When I went to the Nor'easter LAN in 2007, I dragged my TJ09 there and it wasn't that bad. Granted that system was entirely on air, but was still manageable.

I'm planning on going to Nor'easter again this year with an 800D so we'll see how that goes. I registered for one of the "extra elbow room" premium seats though :)