PDA

View Full Version : Athlon II x4 620 OC problem

Player1
03-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Hi there
This is my first post here and I am new to OC so forgive me any stupid questions I might be asking.
My rig:
cpu: Athlon II x4 620 cooled by Noctua NH-U12P
Mother board: DFI Lan Party DK 790fx with the latest bios from the DFI website
RAM: DDR2 800 MHz 2x1 GB OCZ Reaper 3-4-4-15 @ 2.4 V
PSU: Pentagram Silent Force 620 W (a mid-range PSU quite popular in some parts of Europe, no so popular in others, should be more than enough)
GTX 260
2 x HDD
5 x 120 mm fan
All packed into a Cooler Master 690 Dominator case
So I can't push my cpu beyond 3354MHz even though I've set memory timings to 5-5-5-15 and lowered the memory divider to be sure there is headroom for OC. I've lowered HT frequency not to exceed the stock HT link value too much and the NB frequency is kept low as well (slightly above 2 GHz). I've disabled Cool and Quiet and Spread Spectrum. Increasing cpu voltage does not seem to be helping, since I tried to go as far as 1,57 V and the rig would not boot with bus speed above 260, which surely is not the limit for the mother board (i guess). I've run out of ideas. It is stable @ 3,3GHz @ 1,44V but it won't go further. Please advise.

BeepBeep2
03-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Hi there
This is my first post here and I am new to OC so forgive me any stupid questions I might be asking.
My rig:
cpu: Athlon II x4 620 cooled by Noctua NH-U12P
Mother board: DFI Lan Party DK 790fx with the latest bios from the DFI website
RAM: DDR2 800 MHz 2x1 GB OCZ Reaper 3-4-4-15 @ 2.4 V
PSU: Pentagram Silent Force 620 W (a mid-range PSU quite popular in some parts of Europe, no so popular in others, should be more than enough)
GTX 260
2 x HDD
5 x 120 mm fan
All packed into a Cooler Master 690 Dominator case
So I can't push my cpu beyond 3354MHz even though I've set memory timings to 5-5-5-15 and lowered the memory divider to be sure there is headroom for OC. I've lowered HT frequency not to exceed the stock HT link value too much and the NB frequency is kept low as well (slightly above 2 GHz). I've disabled Cool and Quiet and Spread Spectrum. Increasing cpu voltage does not seem to be helping, since I tried to go as far as 1,57 V and the rig would not boot with bus speed above 260, which surely is not the limit for the mother board (i guess). I've run out of ideas. It is stable @ 3,3GHz @ 1,44V but it won't go further. Please advise.

Hey, I happened to glance over this...I'm about to go to bed, it's 1AM atm. You'd probably be better reposting this in the main AMD section (not this subforum) as thats where it will actually be read by people. (This section just gets no attention...) I will be glad to help you out when I wake up in the morning. :up: :D

Welcome to the forum also...;)

Sincerely,
BeepBeep2 :)

EDIT:
Going to 1.57v and stability testing like that may hurt you CPU by the way.

There are some things we can do as to tweaking, but I'd highly suggest you move off that motherboard. I love DFI, but I'm already moderately sure it's the culprit.

Player1
03-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks mate, I know 1,57 V is way too much for 24/7 use, I was just trying high voltage to see if it helps. As far as the mother board is concerned it is my first DFI and I thought it is quite good for OC. I can't affort a new mobo just for extra MHz on the cpu, which I might not get too many anyway.

uncle john
03-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Drop the CPU multi down to 10 or so and then see if it'll boot past that 260ht mark. I'd have to imagine that the CPU is the limiting factor.

Here's the link to DFI's forum, may be worth a gander.
http://csd.dficlub.org/forum/index.php

B-Shot
03-18-2010, 08:18 AM
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5640/screenshot015x.png
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8530/screenshot003ww.png
Loosen up your ram timings like 7-7-7-24 and keep the NB close to 2000 and just try to find your max fsb/HTT first then tighten up your ram timings and bump up the NB to find the max oc on each(just one thing at a time)
My 620 had more GHz but I hit the peak on the ram@320 fsb, better DDR make for a better OC on CPU's with a locked multi.