PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy another GTX 4x0 for 3 screen support?

ajaidev
03-11-2010, 04:11 AM
Ok you bought a GTX 4x0 and you have 3 monitors laying around would you buy another GTX 4x0 to take advantage of the 3 monitors?

Or is 3 screen gaming not interesting to you , but since people say its great there must be something great in it...

Actually this is a dilemma i am facing, seems GTX 470 performs around 5870 and GTX 480 will perform 15-20% better than the GTX 470.

Hopefully GTX 480 will not cost a lot and i am sure that i would either get a 5870 2GB or a GTX 4x0. I do have 2 monitors that are of no real use and i was planning on getting a 3rd one to attach to the new gpu but GTX 4x0 does not support more than 2 monitors.

So my question is simple would you spend more than $500 for another GTX 4x0 to play 3 screen games or not :shrug:

iTravis
03-11-2010, 04:21 AM
To answer the question, NO. Unless you plan to get better performance to run them in SLI, it doesn't make sense to me to buy another card just to run the extra screen. I would think of another solution like getting a bigger screen or might be consider ATI. I wouldn't count on Nvidia price either, and even if you can afford it, it might be hard to get those card at launch as nobody knows the exact quantity will be available. As for gaming with 3 screens, I'd rather play on dual big screen like 24" and above than having 3 monitors, I'm not a big fan of racing sim so I don't know how people actually like it as I can't stand the vertical line between the monitors.

Elmy
03-11-2010, 04:16 PM
With 2 monitors the area where you aim down your sights is in the bezels between the 2 screens. Gaming with 3 monitor is where its at. The ppl that say they cant stand the bezels are the ppl that have not played on an Eyefinity system. I have not heard from one person going to an Eyefinity system say they hated it and returned back to a single monitor.

Here are a few videos of mine to show you 3 monitor systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Q5xdSmOHE&feature=channel this video shows a video of what I see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GepgRbUMxp8 this video was taken with fraps in game which I dont do often because of the fps hit I get.

Also while your there you can check out my other videos on my youtube page that shows MW2 and COD4 Eyefinity as well.

But really 480 GTX's are rumored to be 500 a piece at least and you need 2 of them for Nvidia's 3D surround ( triple monitor setup ) so you need approx. 1000.00 to go in that direction. But if you can afford it I would do it. I myself will be looking into it when they do get released.

trn
03-15-2010, 06:04 PM
I would have too. Once you go Eyefinity theres no going back to a single monitor setup :(