PDA

View Full Version : Sleeving PSU Cables Advice

iceredwing
03-08-2010, 09:10 PM
which size do you guys use? better to sleeve each individual cord or just sleeve them in groups? i am curious if sleeving them individually would make them stiff

Prozium
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM
well, go here (http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/systems-2009/murderbox/008/murderbox.htm) to see an example of the 24pin sleeved individually. as to size IDK, will it make it stiff?... I don't think so, a bit messier? yes, it will require more to make it look clean, but dang does it look good IMO.

well with that given...if you have warranty on the PSU, you might not want to sleeve it individually as it requires you to take the plug apart, thus voiding your warranty...

also....wrong section :)

iceredwing
03-08-2010, 09:34 PM
oh crap, wrong section indeed. I was looking at a worklog with a sleeved PSU and i just posted haha my bad

Sage88
03-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I use 1/8 for individual wires. It will make them a little stiffer. I believe some people wrap the wire in electrical tape before sleeving, this will make make them a bit stiffer and easier to make em do what you want em to. It can also hide the colour of the wire if you use the same colour leccy as the sleeve (if you are using a loose weeve)

iceredwing
03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
so removing the pins will void the warranty? how will they be able to tell?

Prozium
03-08-2010, 09:59 PM
the fact that the wires are sleeved individually, they can check and see if the plugs have been altered in some way...

they may not notice, but if they do they have the right to refuse warranty work and then if you wanted the PSU back you would have to pay shipping back to you whether you pay to have them fix it or not... it's a risk, you can e-mail the company to see what they say but most will say it voids your warranty.

iceredwing
03-08-2010, 10:09 PM
well thanks for the link, i think i will attempt it. It is just too sexy to pass up

Zigosity
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
You can also buy pre-sleeved 24 pin extensions for like 10 bucks. Use those and hide the ugly PSU wires behind something for an effortless clean look with your warranty still intact :P.

Captain_Harlock
03-09-2010, 10:17 AM
No reputable PSU maker will void a warranty from redoing the pins in a molex/floppy/sata connector. That is as long as the correct wire is placed back in its correct position. I'm sure they wouldnt consider damage to a pin duing sleeving as part of the warranty, but they wouldnt void the warranty outright from that. However, to do a propper sleeving job you will probably want to sleeve and tube the built in harness (which most modular PSU's do have) all the way into the PSU case. That means opening the PSU. More often than not, that WILL void your warranty.