PDA

View Full Version : HELP I think I burned up my xp2200!!

fireandsmoke
08-16-2002, 08:36 PM
:mad: :confused:
UGHHH...
I put my new mobo, ga7vrxp, unlocked xp2200 and 512mb pc3200 into my existing pc.
It booted up at 550mhz, It detected that the hardware was new and detected all the parts and made drivers. I loaded the via 4 in 1 driver set, flasehed the bios and noticed the sys temp said 74c I thought this was ridiculous. So I turned off the machine and set the dipswitches to a multiplier of 10.5 and wala the system was running at 1050mhz. Next I went into the bios and set the fsb at 133, to start with and hit save changes and reset and boom black screen, no reboot. I checked the hs/f for good contact with the arctic silver, all good. I tried it again, nothing, black screen. I swapped my old mobo/cpu/ram back and it works fine...what did i do?????? Please send suggestions!!! The bios sais 110c before it went black, but how could it running at 1050mhz with the volcano 7+ on high (7000rpm)
Any answers????Fire and smoke (not funny any more)

Smizack
08-16-2002, 09:41 PM
Try clearing cmos. It sounds like a bad bios flash to me. You're gettin your Temp. information from the bios screen correct?

TheDude
08-16-2002, 10:06 PM
Damn..I just spent 15 minutes on a reply and now it's lost. Ok..try again.

Need more info..what power supply? Video card? there are known issues with some Geforce4 cards. What revision is the board? 1.0..1.2..or hopefully 2.0. Isn't there a 133 switch on the board? Will it boot after CMOS reset at default settings? What Bios? If below F6..I would go to F7 or F8. temps are high, but it doesn't sound like you fried the cpu. I think rev 2.0 has heat protection. I have read that temps on this board show 5 to 10 degrees over actual temp..also rev2 reports from the XP sensor. What are you using to monitor temps? SIV that came with board or something like MM5? Or Bios screen? Is your CPU, fan and hs installed right? Is the fan connected to correct header? Do you get any beep errors? That's about all I can think of right now..getting sleepy. I hope this helps. When you get it all sorted out, I hope you will consider joing our Folding Team. That board would do some serious folding!:D

fireandsmoke
08-16-2002, 10:09 PM
How do I clear the CMOS? I can't even boot into bios, just the black screen. The monitir says check signal???
thanks
f&s

Smizack
08-16-2002, 10:12 PM
Read the manual. It will show you how. On most it's a jumper close to the battery. You just move it (Check the manual first) and hit the power button> Nothing happens> Move it back and power it up agin.

Note that what I said is generalized info. Your mobo may be a bit differant.

IFMU
08-16-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by fireandsmoke
Fire and smoke (not funny any more)
LoL.. sorry, seems kinda funny to me... I know Im an a__ :D

Ok, now, Im going to have to go with Smiz on this one at least to a minor degree. I think the problem is in your bios, but not as in a bad flash.
IM thinking something in the bios got slightly knocked out of wack some how while you were in there. Dont panic this kinda thing happens all the time.
The best thing to do is set it all back up, reset all the switches back... Get it to where it worked the last time.
Now, go back and set it to 133 first.
Reboot, go all the way into windows. Test it, check all your info, temps most importantly. Once it all looks good in there, then go ahead and reboot. Step it up slowly. Its possible something you have in there doesnt like the speed your setting it too.
Now, as a side question here... The way you worded your first post was like you left your OS on the hard drive and just installed it onto the new motherboard and all that without formatting or anything? Correct? or?

Originally posted by TheDude
Damn..I just spent 15 minutes on a reply and now it's lost.
Man thats gotta suck, I hate it when it does that kinda crap... heh, gotta love opera man, just go back, and about 90% of the time, its still there!!!

fireandsmoke
08-16-2002, 10:16 PM
Thanks I'll check it out. If it was a dead cpu what would it do???

IFMU
08-16-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Smizack
R You just move it (Check the manual first) and hit the power button> Nothing happens> Move it back and power it up agin.

Note that what I said is generalized info. Your mobo may be a bit differant.
What??? I have never heard of doin it like that... Ive heard that could cause motherboard damage.... at least to some motherboards...
The way I have always done it and heard of it being done was to just kill the power, pull the plug.
Switch the jumper, let it sit for anywhere between 10-60 seconds, then put it back in the original position.
Plug it back in and power it up.~?

What would it do? Nuthin at all

fireandsmoke
08-16-2002, 10:19 PM
IFMU,
yes it's an existing o/s with HDD, vid card, etc. But how do I get back into the bio it won't even boot to bios???Just black screen
f&s

IFMU
08-16-2002, 10:20 PM
I would clear the CMOS and give that a try first. If that doesnt work, then we can work on some other possiblities.

sysfailur
08-18-2002, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by IFMU

Man thats gotta suck, I hate it when it does that kinda crap... heh, gotta love opera man, just go back, and about 90% of the time, its still there!!!

It's the forum's fault, not his. Everyone who posted last night lost most of their posts.

fireandsmoke
08-18-2002, 09:59 AM
OK,
The cmos clear worked, but I still couldn't get the machine past 6.5X and 133 without getting blue screen "windows protection error" ans shutting down. Also I think the bios temp is wrong. I put the xp2200 into another mobo and got perfect 29-32C readings, but with the other mobo syill got hte win prot error message at about 1330Mhz...I'm about ready to scrape the silver paintand have a 1.8mhz machine...
F&S