PDA

View Full Version : XSPC acetal top supposed to look like this.

Delirious
03-06-2010, 10:21 PM
I just go this top and I never owned one so could some one who does please tell what its supposed to look like?

The impeller area looks roughly oval and like it was cut out by hand. Did I just get a reject?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/Typicalsloan/_MG_7905.jpg

stangracin3
03-06-2010, 10:30 PM
i think thats actually how it is supposed to be.

malkiewicz
03-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Mine wasn't like that... I guess as long as it works / doesn't leak your good

stangracin3
03-06-2010, 10:46 PM
well i have the acylic restop and the bottom of mine looks like that.

i know its a bit diffenet, but its based on the same thing.

malkiewicz
03-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Maybe I got the defective one... lol

Utnorris
03-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Uh, no! It should be round, not oval unless I am just seeing it at an angle. Get a replacement.

Captain_Harlock
03-07-2010, 01:30 AM
My guess is that t wll work and it wont leak. I'm sure you can use it with confidence on those two things. But one of the main reason for a new pump top (outside of tube options) is for better performance. I'd bet that even your oddly shaped one would perform better than stock, but not nearly as well as its designed for. I'd send it back for that reason alone. Otherwise it seems like kind of a waste of cash.

Waterlogged
03-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Oooppppsss, looks like someone forgot to tighten the vise before starting the CNC. :shakes:

JASSAF
03-07-2010, 04:36 AM
I just go this top and I never owned one so could some one who does please tell what its supposed to look like?

The impeller area looks roughly oval and like it was cut out by hand. Did I just get a reject?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/Typicalsloan/_MG_7905.jpg

the file does not open :confused:

Conquistador SW
03-07-2010, 06:19 AM
I believe this is the normal shape a XSPC top has. I remember previous threads here with people also concerned, however, if it was found that all XSPC tops are formed like that. If you look here: http://martin.skinneelabs.com/DDC32PumpTopTesting.html , go to the acrylic XSPC top. You will see this sample also has this typical shape (kind of oval). This sample was used by Martin and beat all the other tops. My own XSPC res/top also has this shape and is working perfectly. I think this kind of oval shape is the reason it performs this well.

Edit:
Another picture at watercoolinguk.co.uk http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Laing-DDC-Acetal-Pump-Top-V3-XSPC_753.html . Also same shape. It is part of the design.

Delirious
03-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Oooppppsss, looks like someone forgot to tighten the vise before starting the CNC. :shakes:

That was my thought as well.

I believe this is the normal shape a XSPC top has. I remember previous threads here with people also concerned, however, if it was found that all XSPC tops are formed like that. If you look here: http://martin.skinneelabs.com/DDC32PumpTopTesting.html , go to the acrylic XSPC top. You will see this sample also has this typical shape (kind of oval). This sample was used by Martin and beat all the other tops. My own XSPC res/top also has this shape and is working perfectly. I think this kind of oval shape is the reason it performs this well.

Edit:
Another picture at watercoolinguk.co.uk http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Laing-DDC-Acetal-Pump-Top-V3-XSPC_753.html . Also same shape. It is part of the design.

It definitely looks like my top. If you ask me it just looks rather sloppy and doesn't instill much confidence.

Stewie007
03-07-2010, 07:25 AM
You do realize, that some of these "companies" work out of the confines of what is essentially someone's garage. Maybe not so literally.

You don't believe me? Take some small time Chinese Suppliers.... They actually supply major industry, and they are working out of a shop that basically is someone's garage. Its like a guy got together with his buddies, hired some help, and began manufacturing parts....

So that hastily cut round you've got there wasn't cut by state of the art machinery. Rather, "a guy" with a router.

Delirious
03-07-2010, 07:29 AM
You do realize, that some of these "companies" work out of the confines of what is essentially someone's garage. Maybe not so literally.

You don't believe me? Take some small time Chinese Suppliers.... They actually supply major industry, and they are working out of a shop that basically is someone's garage. Its like a guy got together with his buddies, hired some help, and began manufacturing parts....

So that hastily cut round you've got there wasn't cut by state of the art machinery. Rather, "a guy" with a router.

I don't doubt it; still doesn't mean they cant produce something of quality. Given the few images I've seen and the fact they look exactly like mine I would say its not cut by hand with a router.

Laine
03-07-2010, 07:34 AM
It feels like quite an achievement to make every top look as skewed as that one.

Stewie007
03-07-2010, 07:37 AM
I don't doubt it; still doesn't mean they cant produce something of quality. Given the few images I've seen and the fact they look exactly like mine I would say its not cut by hand with a router.

I'm sorry man, but that isn't CNC.... That's a routher, or at least something very similar..... Using a jig you can produce hand made replicas of little variation.

If that is CNC, then I would never buy ANYTHING from that company AT ALL... That has got to be the crappiest machining I've seen in my life time.

Conquistador SW
03-07-2010, 07:41 AM
I still don’t see what the problem is. That shape is part of the design. Why would you want it to be perfectly round if this shape means better performance?

sirheck
03-07-2010, 07:44 AM
No..... that oval shape will help the water curve in the tubing.
So it will flow faster.

:p:

Conquistador SW
03-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes, that’s what I think. Maybe someone with knowledge of fluid dynamics can give and explanation. How I think this works is the impellor creates a circular flow from the centre outwards. Because of this “indentation” in the circle at the place where the outlet is placed the pressure will build up there and this will lead to better flow / higher pressure.

Nickel020
03-07-2010, 07:56 AM
It's supposed to be oval, but yours does look a bit fishy. XSPC always had issues with quality control, you'll find that every one of their tops looks slightly different from the next. It's hard to tell if it will impact performance.

lvcircuit
03-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Mine has the same oval shape. Performance has been great.

Stewie007
03-07-2010, 08:38 AM
As long as it isn't interfering with other parts, which it probably isn't, it will be fine.

Warpcore
03-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Wow that does look a bit fishy.I don't know if oval is part of the design.But that looks like someone did it by hand using a Dremel tool with a grinding stone.I just hope it works like it's supposed to.

irenedakota
03-07-2010, 09:07 AM
My XSPC DDC bay res looks exactly like that as well. I think it is part of the design

jetroho
03-07-2010, 11:21 AM
That shape is XSPC's feeble attempt at creating a volute (google centrifugal pump or volute ) That shape will make the pump more efficient . Instead of an oblong lumpy hole it should look more like a snails shell . A smooth curve expanding from round to getting larger at the outlet of the impeller . It appears that they are made on a completely worn out tracer mill . If you look close at the bottom of the hole you can see alot of 1/4 inch or so circles in a pattern . These circles and the hole are made from the mill starting and stopping as it traces a pattern . Sho ain't no cnc .
Even though the machining is crude that top will work ok . I have three of them running in pc's I own .
Its funny though due to some space issues I needed two pump tops where the outlet was straight out the side . Instead at the angle xspc uses . So I got two EK v2 tops . The machine work is superb and they have a proper volute cnc'd into them :up::up: But the biggest surprise was when I fired up the EK topped pumps to leak test the loop , the damn pumps barely vibrate :shocked: I think that XSPC's lumpy hole in some way makes the water pulsate in the top . Causing the pump to vibrate . I could be full of it , but what else other than changing the top would make the same pump vibrate less :shrug: Who knows ?
I you can return that top and get an EK or other top I would do it . If not then I would not worry about and just use it . I'm not going to replace the three I have . But I will not be using any XSPC,s in future builds .
j

atomic ferret
03-07-2010, 11:41 AM
All right guys, there have been threads on this before.

It is not supposed to be perfect.

A lot of people freak out when they see that it isn't perfectly round, but it's really okay.

skinnee
03-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Of all the XSPC tops that I have, not a single one is "perfect". They all have the drunk shop worker look to them. Crazy, I know... but they still perform very well.

:idea: I need to finish up that DDC write-ups and release it already.

Alexandr0s
03-07-2010, 12:16 PM
*Pokes Skinnee*

"You pwomised us something :(. We want kewl charts :(!"

Stewie007
03-07-2010, 12:18 PM
All right guys, there have been threads on this before.

It is not supposed to be perfect.

A lot of people freak out when they see that it isn't perfectly round, but it's really okay.

I dont think its the oblong shape....rather the clearly amateurish appearance of the routing..... I don't think its panic....but rather an expectation of a certain quality of a product on which you're spending $$. Other companies can make products with professional finishes....This looks just dumpy.

I wonder how well it would "perform" if it weren't so shoddy.... probably better.

Alexandr0s
03-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Well, that's always a question in this industry: how much am I willing to pay extra for that bit of extra performance gain.
Because clearly that inside wasn't designed for aesthetic reasons, but performance gain. And I wonder just how much of an improvement we would have seen if the inside was milled better. The manufacturers are just trying to save some money by making things that can be produced easy. If you want more detail it's going to cost you. Same thing with lapping. At a certain point, lapping your CPU/block is all about aesthetics, and not performance gain.

Delirious
03-07-2010, 03:11 PM
That shape is XSPC's feeble attempt at creating a volute (google centrifugal pump or volute ) That shape will make the pump more efficient . Instead of an oblong lumpy hole it should look more like a snails shell . A smooth curve expanding from round to getting larger at the outlet of the impeller . It appears that they are made on a completely worn out tracer mill . If you look close at the bottom of the hole you can see alot of 1/4 inch or so circles in a pattern . These circles and the hole are made from the mill starting and stopping as it traces a pattern . Sho ain't no cnc .
Even though the machining is crude that top will work ok . I have three of them running in pc's I own .
Its funny though due to some space issues I needed two pump tops where the outlet was straight out the side . Instead at the angle xspc uses . So I got two EK v2 tops . The machine work is superb and they have a proper volute cnc'd into them :up::up: But the biggest surprise was when I fired up the EK topped pumps to leak test the loop , the damn pumps barely vibrate :shocked: I think that XSPC's lumpy hole in some way makes the water pulsate in the top . Causing the pump to vibrate . I could be full of it , but what else other than changing the top would make the same pump vibrate less :shrug: Who knows ?
I you can return that top and get an EK or other top I would do it . If not then I would not worry about and just use it . I'm not going to replace the three I have . But I will not be using any XSPC,s in future builds .
j

I think I'm going to just return it and try to work the pump into the setup using the stock top and buy some 45 deg compression fittings.

Waterlogged
03-07-2010, 03:59 PM
j

This is the key word here guys. A volute should be a smooth, progressive spiral...and what the OP has is far from a volute.

Delirious
03-07-2010, 04:22 PM
This is the key word here guys. A volute should be a smooth, progressive spiral...and what the OP has is far from a volute.

I looked at the stock top a little better and its shaped more like a volute then the XSPC top is.:(

It's interesting though that it performs better than the stock though, maybe due to the bigger fittings.