PDA

View Full Version : How to remove mosfet screws

Kenjiwing
03-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Guys.. I cant get the black push pins off my mosfets on my asus p6t deluxe.. someone please tell me how to get this damn thing off..

pic
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1531/p5qdlx11ws7.jpg

Conquistador SW
03-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Turn the board around. You should see the black tips of these push pins sticking trough the board. Just squeeze these pins together and push the pin through the board.

Kenjiwing
03-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Turn the board around. You should see the black tips of these push pins sticking trough the board. Just squeeze these pins together and push the pin through the board.

I tried this but I will try again thanks.

Conquistador SW
03-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I normally use pliers when these things wont let loose. However, you have to be very careful not to hit the board and damage it.

Boulard83
03-06-2010, 01:06 PM
+1, small plier. Just squeeze the pin from the back of the mobo.

H2O
03-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Nailclippers work well too.

bentleya
03-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Put masking tape around the pin on the underside, Then use pliers like all of the above have. You can easily slip thats why you mask the area off :).

gergregg
03-06-2010, 02:15 PM
small needle nose pliers work the best.

Utnorris
03-06-2010, 04:16 PM
I took an IC chip remover tool and dremeled a notch in it so that it would grip the pin, works like a champ, but sadly I haven't had to use it in almost a year. Tweezers also work well, but before I made the tool I used small pliers. Those pins are just a PITA to get out.

Conumdrum
03-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Sometimes they are a PITA. If your new at it it's terrible. In the early days I just got frustrated and cut them off. They are easily replace with screws and bolts. The teeny springs don't give enuff pressure for an aftermarket watercooled block anyway.

Captain_Harlock
03-06-2010, 06:05 PM
While its been already been said that needlenose pliers are the way to go (the fine tip type, not the type with the boxed end), the secret is pushing the pin through first, getting a good grip with the pliers at their very tip and then carefully pushing it into the hole. Now sometimes, the pin will just fall right out, other times it will kind of stick in the hole. As long as the gripping part of the pin is inside the lip of the hole, you can go ahead and pull the pin out and it wont harm it or the board. Just dont yank it through the heatsink.

I agree with Conumdrum about the nuts and bolts thing. Just head on over to the hardware store and pickup a supply of them. You might want to get some small plastic washers for the underside of the mobo though, as the nut can make contact with something it shouldnt. You will get a much stronger and even mounting pressure with the nuts and bolts vs the little pen springs on cheap plastic pins.