PDA

View Full Version : GTX 480 Vid.

Leopold Butters
03-06-2010, 09:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpdPSZB8A8E

They use the Unigine benchmark, and it gives you a bit of an idea of what it can do. Enjoy.

Mabyboi
03-06-2010, 10:32 AM
That looks really cool actually, whats this led theyre talking about?!

NaMcO
03-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Why on earth do they leave AA and AF at the minimum values... Meh.

w4tch0
03-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Because, while AMD cards have a dedicated chip unit to do tesselation, nVidia does not. So turning up AA and AF would decrade their tesselation performance.

BeepBeep2
03-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Because, while AMD cards have a dedicated chip unit to do tesselation, nVidia does not. So turning up AA and AF would decrade their tesselation performance.

On an already late card. That actually made me lol... I used to own an 8800GTS 320MB, I love nvidia but there is something wrong with the direction of the company atm.

Leopold Butters
03-06-2010, 10:48 PM

Really? So this card might be right on par with the 5870 with AA and AF turned up.

[DANGERDAN]
03-07-2010, 04:49 AM
very much so this may be closer than we thought to the 5870

Origin_Unknown
03-07-2010, 05:13 AM
lol the first thing that he points out after the card is an LED....:rolleyes: why not just stick 100000 led's on it and hope everyone forgets screw-gate, the lateness etc etc

JohnZS
03-07-2010, 06:42 AM
My nVidia card has an LED too. It lets you know if it is receiving enough power. Green = Good and no power related issues to report :)
480 CUDA cores..and an LED :)
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3544/gtxled.th.jpg (http://img26.imageshack.us/i/gtxled.jpg/)
John

Frag Maniac
03-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Because, while AMD cards have a dedicated chip unit to do tesselation, nVidia does not. So turning up AA and AF would decrade their tesselation performance.It's turned off with both GPUs, so tested equally. Heaven is a stressing test, so it was probably turned off more to example preferable frame rates than anything.

You so easily assume that tesselation hardware built into the GPU vs separate means less capable. That's like saying MMCs and Pci-Ex controllers placed separately on the MB vs in the CPU are more efficient, even though there's obviously more latency.

Moreover, the graph clearly shows the 480 producing twice as many frames when tesselation kicks in, and the card hasn't even released yet and drivers likely haven't even been perfected yet.

There's going to be loads of buzz both pro and con on this GPU. Like many have said it's a future ready design for games that will make full use of DX11. Still though, many will judge it based on old game scripting. Some just can't let go of the past and move on. :rolleyes:

And John, resize your friggin pic for Christ sake. You've made the thread scroll laborious with that monstrosity.

OverShocked
03-07-2010, 05:06 PM
This is really a shame... I was hoping for much higher performance for a card that is so late.
Also, did you guys hear how loud the system at the end was? I lold at that to.

ottoyu34
03-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Nice peak around the office. hehe