PDA

View Full Version : Cooling?..ICD?...Ok..I Believe it now

OldChap
03-04-2010, 01:35 PM
In the past I had a gx2 that was overheating so I re-did the tim and pads with ceramique and got it to within 5 deg of my best card so it runs at around 68degs fully loaded both sides

Yesterday I repeated this process with a card I bought cheap cos it was overheating to 70+ deg idle :eek:

This time I used IC Diamond....Results????

Both sides running @ 58 Degrees

Hopefully this weekend I'll take down my rigs re-do the paste and build so that 10 cards/sides will be folding and the rest will be here on grid after a few repairs

Now here's a question...sell my 2 260 192's add a bit and buy a newer 260 or 275? or am I better off just running these into the ground because I'm too far past the curve for selling old tech?

CaptMorgan
03-04-2010, 01:56 PM
This stuff is not entirely old tech- it is a good cost/point ratio

Edit: didn't want to double post OC IC Diamond works well but was that the thick stuff? I would be interested to see a pic of what parts you are working on next time if you get the chance

Otis11
03-04-2010, 02:37 PM
In the past I had a gx2 that was overheating so I re-did the tim and pads with ceramique and got it to within 5 deg of my best card so it runs at around 68degs fully loaded both sides

Yesterday I repeated this process with a card I bought cheap cos it was overheating to 70+ deg idle :eek:

This time I used IC Diamond....Results????

Both sides running @ 58 Degrees

Hopefully this weekend I'll take down my rigs re-do the paste and build so that 10 cards/sides will be folding and the rest will be here on grid after a few repairs

Now here's a question...sell my 2 260 192's add a bit and buy a newer 260 or 275? or am I better off just running these into the ground because I'm too far past the curve for selling old tech?

If it were me? I'd go ahead and sell the 192's and go for something with a bit more umph like the 275.

I'm actually waiting to see what happens with fermi... Hoping that it'll get some people with 295s wanting to sell cheap...

Snow Crash
03-04-2010, 04:06 PM
OldChap ... did you replace the pads or just put TIM (ICD) on them and reuse?
I've been thinking about doing that with my old style 2 card 295 but don't want to fubar it.

OldChap
03-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Bought a small sheet of thermal pad (1mm) and cut it to fit mem and vregs...used a tiny amount ICD to hold in place then used ICD on the sli and gpu chips

You might want to check the thickness of the pads ....I was guessing/comparing with that supplied in a water block kit

OldChap
03-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Not that everybody has dual cards like the gx2 but I picked up a stock one cheap which has not had any new paste fitted and put it alongside the one I did already with diamond. With summer coming I guess all I need to do is fix them all up