PDA

View Full Version : Need NIC recommendation

KruncH
08-16-2002, 05:10 PM
I'm building a new system and I'm thinking about what brand of NIC 10/100 to use for my cable modem. Realtek, 3Com, SMC, etc...

What do you guys recommend. Non-network, just home use.

Thanks for your $.02

TheDude
08-16-2002, 05:37 PM
I just bought my 1st belkin...cheap and works fine.

Tweaked!
08-16-2002, 06:05 PM
I've got Netgear and smc and they both perform flawlessly. My netgear costs around 15 bucks and the SMC was installed by the calbe installer (and he didn't screw anything up either...) so either of those are fine choices in my book. I also use Smc at work and they work good.
At home, my Netgear w/ Road runner cable gives me 3.3 - 3.8 mbits down. Can't argue w/ that :)

sjohnson
08-16-2002, 06:34 PM
From personal experience, stay away from Intel NIC's. I toasted an expensive Pro 100+ at 190 FSB. Replaced with a nice $10 (on sale) Dlink that's gone to 206 NP...

Smizack
08-16-2002, 09:26 PM
I've tried almost anything you can think of and Netgear makes very good networking equipment. I also reccomend Linksys just as highley.

One thing on Belkin. I've tried for a week to get a customers Belkin router on, and it just won't do it. It sees the other comps, and can swap files, but it just will not get online.
And I can truthfully say that thier tech support sucks! They told me that my isp (Ie. ME), uses static IP's... And left the problem at that...

stompah
08-18-2002, 05:48 AM
I think teh cheapest you can find is always the best. I once bought a $30 Linksys NIC. I was installing my new DSL and I did not want to have any troubles with the NIC so I decided to go the expensive route. Since then I have learned that cheaper really is better.

I picked up a SMC NIC for less than $8 at Microcenter. I have had 0 problems with that.

I can also confirm that my Netgear works under Mandrake 8.2. Just in case you wanna Xperiment in da future.

TheDude
08-18-2002, 06:58 AM
Smizack
Thanks for the Belkin warning. I use a linksys router...but just got an 8 port linksKEY switch that I am very impressed with. Plug and play and auto sensing...no upload port...you can use any port and it senses speed and direction..$29 at Newegg.

Smizack
08-18-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
Smizack
Thanks for the Belkin warning. I use a linksys router...but just got an 8 port linksKEY switch that I am very impressed with. Plug and play and auto sensing...no upload port...you can use any port and it senses speed and direction..$29 at Newegg.

Well, I actually had heard good things of Belkin before hand.
It's a possibility that it's just a bad router.

JBELL
08-18-2002, 01:31 PM
anything using realtek chipset is what to get....

or if you are working on a server - intel NICS that are trunkable is the way to go.

Weedo
09-08-2002, 05:49 PM
I use a Netgear RP614 and Linksys nics. They work.

Smizack
09-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by JBELL
anything using realtek chipset is what to get....

or if you are working on a server - intel NICS that are trunkable is the way to go.

We just picked up some realtek nics. They seem great so far and another good thing is they work with Red hat.

Also, tried some Belkin wireless, and no luck.