CPU: I7 920@ 3.5 GHz
COOLER: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 + AS5
RAM : 6GB TRI KIT G-SKILL DDR3 XMP CL7
Video: CrossFireX XFX ATI 4890 XXX 1GB DDR5 GPU: 1 GHz / MEM: 4 GHz
HDD: 1 * 500GB WD Caviar+RAID 0 2 * 1 TB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT
OPTICAL: Sony Optiarc Labelflash
AUDIO : X-FI TITANIUM
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX
CASE: Antec 902I am having a very peculiar issue. When I overclock my I7 920 above 2.8GHz my computer enters a weird reboot loop (it reboots 3 times before it posts). I will explain this in more depth : i enter bios, select my overclocking settings, choose XMP, set the appropriate voltages, save, exit, computer shuts down, applies overclocking settings, turns back on, reboots once, reboots the second time, reboots the third time, post message with my new frequency.

1. Memtest+ on RAM
2. Asked advice on XtremeSystems
3. Tried 20 computer boards
4. Opened up my system on multiple occassions
5. Contacted Gigabyte and they provided feedback.

Today, after months and months of issues, I made a breakthrough. I will attach 4 photos. The first photo, will show my BIOS where my PC is at stock with a x21 multiplier. The memory speed is rated at 1333MHz. The second photo, will show my BIOS post with my I7 rated at 2.8GHz and memory rated at 1333MHz. The third photo, will show an overclock to 3.5GHz. In the same photo you will see that in the BIOS, my memory multiplier has been reduced in order to keep within the rated speed. The photo will show that my memory speed is at 1333MHz. The 4th photo, will show the BIOS POST with the 3.5GHz settings. As you can see, the memory is not at 1333MHz but at 1328MHz. Why did photo number 3 show 1333MHz and photo number 4 1328 MHz? Could this be the issue? Does the motheboard detect this difference in speed and performs several reboots before it boots normally?

Link to find my pictures :

Picture 1 :
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/Integrabyte/Gigabyte%20Support/B1.jpg

Picture 2:
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/Integrabyte/Gigabyte%20Support/B2.jpg

Picture 3:
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/Integrabyte/Gigabyte%20Support/B3.jpg

Picture 4:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/Integrabyte/Gigabyte%20Support/B4.jpg

In addition to that interesting find, I noticed that my BIOS shows one profile for XMP and CPU-Z shows another !!

My BIOS SAYS : 7 7 7 18 2

CPU Z says :

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/Integrabyte/CPU-Z/e.jpg

I think I am getting somewhere. I flashed my mobo again with the latest bios, removed the battery and I made sure to load the fail safe defaults. I installed the latest version of Easy Tune, Gigabyte's overclocking utility, and I tried every available level. L1 takes it to 2.8GHz+turbo, L2 takes to 3.0GHz +turbo and Level 3 makes it an Extreme Edition +Turbo. After each level applied, I waited for my computer to reboot and apply the overclocking settings. My pc turned back on, I quickly entered BIOS to see the settings. I did this process everytime. I am on Level 3 now, at 3.3 +TURBO and my computer is booting normally. No reboot loop, nothing. This is the first time in weeks that I can boot so high without my reboot loop.

What do I do about my memory issues? What do I do about the discrepancy in the XMP profile? I tried forcing the CPU-Z timings in BIOS but my computer did not boot .

GSKILL TECH
03-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Helping you through email...

GSKILL TECH

Wishmaker
03-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Helping you through email...

GSKILL TECH

I think you also gave me a hand on the G-SKILL forums. This memory is broken and not compatible with my motherboard. I know by heart the Gigabyte tutorial on how to clock the I7 to 4GHz. I even ended up with 1.5 QPI/VTT and it still reboots. If I use Easy Tune to read the XMP profile I get the following :

6.7 7 7 18

If I use CPU-Z to read the XMP profile :

7 7 7 19 31 2T

Which yet again is totally different from what my bios detects :

7 7 7 18 2T

No offense, but after 3 months of trying to fix this issue and reading 20 million overclocking tutorials and trying every bloody method of overclocking, I can state that G-SKILL and the UD3R is not compatible. This is my second UD3R motherboard and it does the same.

P.S: Without XMP and with manual input of those bloody timings the computer fails to boot:rofl::rofl:

GSKILL TECH
03-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Try setting Performance Enhance to Standard. These should not need much tweaking as they are DDR3-1333.

Have you tried memtesting each stick individually? Sounds like you may have a bad stick. I would suggest simply sending them in for new replacements.

Thank you
GSKILL TECH

Wishmaker
03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Try setting Performance Enhance to Standard. These should not need much tweaking as they are DDR3-1333.

Have you tried memtesting each stick individually? Sounds like you may have a bad stick. I would suggest simply sending them in for new replacements.

Thank you
GSKILL TECH

I've tested them individually in the first tri-channel slot. They passed with flying colours. I managed to reduce the 3 reboot loop to only one by taking the CPU PLL to 1.88, QPI/VTT to 1.34. I even tried 1.515 for QPI but it does not make a difference. My core is normal with DVID +003750. I tried every possible voltage out there ... surely these sticks have an issue with my mobo but they do not seem to be faulty.

GSKILL TECH
03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Send them in for a different memory package, you should have better luck.

Thank you
GSKILL TECH