PDA

View Full Version : Fellow cruchers in USA: Here's yer change to win crucher of yer life

s0lid
03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Instead of just posting the link to thread here at XS i'll quote the content of that thread:

OK, I had hinted about this a few times, and here it is:

We are having a contest on "What would you do with 48 cores". The top entry wins a 4P Tyan motherboard, 4 12-core processors and a copy of Windows Server 2008 (Win 7 only supports up to 2 sockets.)

You can send in an entry as an essay, up to 500 words, you can send us a video, or you can write it in your blog. Unfortunately, because contest laws vary so wildly from country to country, this is a US-only contest :(

So think about how you would make the world a better place and let us know. As a tip, figuring out how to overclock this probably won't make the world better, but helping cure cancer would ;) (Just so you know what we are looking for)

The entry form (and 7 pages of rules) can be found linked in this blog:

http://links.amd.com/48Cores

Good luck, and change the world.

Gentlemen, get yer word ready and start filming yer farms and telling what you would do with that rig.

CaptMorgan
03-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Thank you sOlid for the heads up--Wow now to get writing

littleowl
03-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Hum I may have to get in on this one. That would be Awesome!!!!

Movieman
03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Sorry guys but this one has ended and the winner already decided.
So don't even bother entering as it's a done deal ok?

(giggle-giggle..I wonder if they'll swallow that BS line)

artemm
03-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Anyone wanna let me temporarily move in with them so I can claim to be a US resident? Preferably Dave so I can leave with a multi-processor system even if I don't win the contest!

mreuter80
03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Dave is excluded from the contest ... thats what rules say :rofl:

I wonder why ... :sofa:

Otis11
03-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Anyone wanna let me temporarily move in with them so I can claim to be a US resident? Preferably Dave so I can leave with a multi-processor system even if I don't win the contest!

Just send it to someone who lives in the US and let them enter for you... I'm going to try for it, so why not?

And MM - I saw that... :eek:

Mabyboi
03-03-2010, 01:06 PM
simple entry: "so i can own movieman and his dual i9 board!"

And the winner is..... MABYBOI!

Jaco
03-03-2010, 01:42 PM
maybe Maby

NaeKuh
03-03-2010, 02:02 PM
nope...

a dual MC system loses to a straight gainestown.

A dual overclocked gulftown system will rape a 4p MC system.

HE posted this competition also on AT.

For reason i told him... i would drop the most OMGWTFBBQ watercooling system on it, straight from custom blocks down to a custom case, should this system ever fall in my hands.

LOL... lets see if that makes amd go HMM.... which i doubt.

Gamekiller
03-03-2010, 02:12 PM
nope...

For reason i told him... i would drop the most OMGWTFBBQ watercooling system on it, straight from custom blocks down to a custom case, should this system ever fall in my hands.

It would never get finished... so you lose.

Anyways, I send in a small story of what I would do with it. Of course it was all about wcg! (and a little gpugrid/f@h)

Man I would love to crunch on this baby.

SocketMan
03-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Maybe MM can adopt you ? :ROTF:

nope...

What about gay gainstown ? :shrug: :p:

I'll take your word for it,I am no rape expert :eek:

Blauhung
03-03-2010, 02:56 PM

hehe:ROTF:

[XC] flat-four
03-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I am so in. Just submitted my 500 word essay.

I've never won anything worth more than 20 bucks at a slot machine. Maybe my time has come

Movieman
03-04-2010, 05:48 PM
nope...

BUT I'd never live long enough to see you finish it!:rofl:

[XC] gomeler
03-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Composing my essay now. It makes hardened criminals cry.. :p:

Movieman
03-04-2010, 06:10 PM
gomeler;4271069']Composing my essay now. It makes hardened criminals cry.. :p:

PHHHH.. Jack the Ripper,Al Capone and Machinegun Kelly just read mine and now headed for therapy!:rofl:

STEvil
03-04-2010, 06:20 PM
My grandma has dual citizenship.. can I enter for her? XD

NaeKuh
03-04-2010, 07:30 PM

Oh he doesnt know that now does he?
:ROTF:

BUT I'd never live long enough to see you finish it!:rofl:

Well if JF was to give me one.. i think i would actually finish it, just to see how much attention i can steal from ya.

You would have the fastest mp system... while i would have the drop dead sexiest... :rofl:

SoulsCollective
03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Oh wonderful. Another great contest...
...that I can't enter.

Best of luck to you all, though, I'd rather one of you folks here wins it and puts it to good use.

jcool
03-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Ok.. now I'm officially jealous.
I so want a Magny-Cours, to replace my current AMD QuadSocket. Maybe JF will take pity on me if I tell him that my sole AMD cruncher is surrounded by (faster) Intels :D

And NaeKuh, I don't think even an overclocked Dual Westmere would beat that monster in WCG. 48 cores at 2,x Ghz should be equal or better than 12c/24t at ~4,5Ghz.

anubis
03-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Cmoon guys, one of us has to win. Just the fact that we have 289 users returning WUs next to teams at least 4-10 times that. One of us HAS to win :)

NaeKuh
03-05-2010, 03:39 PM
And NaeKuh, I don't think even an overclocked Dual Westmere would beat that monster in WCG. 48 cores at 2,x Ghz should be equal or better than 12c/24t at ~4,5Ghz.

uh huh... and i heard the exact same thing when dave told me his dual westmmeres is greater then my single overclocked gulftown. but we know what happened there right??

Cmoon guys, one of us has to win. Just the fact that we have 289 users returning WUs next to teams at least 4-10 times that. One of us HAS to win :)

jf didnt only post this here.. i can think of a few individual folders on other forums who would rank in the top 5 should they move here... :)

Sparky
03-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Tempted but I haven't written an essay for so long I'd probably suck at it. Especially trying to keep it under 500 words....

For some strange reason I don't feel that motivated to try. Maybe because I never win anything when I do enter :shrug:

Movieman
03-05-2010, 03:45 PM
uh huh... and i heard the exact same thing when dave told me his dual westmmeres is greater then my single overclocked gulftown. but we know what happened there right??

Yea, but that was up against my "slow" 2530mhz westmere's not these monsters and also I think Jcool is right..
That 48 core beast will smoke my 12 core and 4500 is right at the tippity top of what is even possible on air..
4300 might be a more realistic number and even that is high for 24/7 100% load on air.
I wonder what 2-113cfm deltas per heatsink in a push pull will do ?

NaeKuh
03-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Yea, but that was up against my "slow" 2530mhz westmere's not these monsters and also I think Jcool is right..
That 48 core beast will smoke my 12 core and 4500 is right at the tippity top of what is even possible on air..
4300 might be a more realistic number and even that is high for 24/7 100% load on air.
I wonder what 2-113cfm deltas per heatsink in a push pull will do ?

MC is clocked @ 2.2ghz.. and this is an AMD Clock dave.. not an intel clock, which scales higher.
Your westmeres will have at least a 2x clock advantage.

As i said ive seen a full blown 24p dual socket MC system.
And it wasnt doing very good against a full blown 3.2ghz gainestown.

Im not dissing the system, but you guys really have no idea how fast dave's machine will be when both processors are overclocked huh?

Id think at least you would know jcool. If anyone besides dave and i, you probably have the most experience with these chips and know what they do after you pass the 170ish QPI mark.

Watch and wait til dave sets up the machine.. i'll hear you guys say OMG Naekuh was correct... (again).

At the very least @ 4.4ghz on 12p/24t you will tie a 48p MC on WCG + Wprime.
Maybe not a full blown SMP program.... but in the stuff we use... i know dave will.

jcool
03-06-2010, 05:50 AM
I didn't take you for such a fanboy Terry :p:

I calculated 100k PPD on WCG for a DP Westmere @ 4,4Ghz. While that is very impressive, I dare say that a 48-core Magny-Cours will beat that number, even at stock clocks. Hard to imagine what would happen if you could somehow overclock them :eek:

Oh and, I have way more Intel hexas than you do, by the way :rofl:

Jaco
03-06-2010, 08:15 AM
The Intel system will win some benchmarks , but in terms of WCG production the AMD 48 core system will win.

skycrane
03-06-2010, 08:32 AM
well for me, my dual quad socket quad cores average 7800 ppd each on my boinc projects. so that would be about 120k ppd for 32 cores :)

Movieman
03-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd worked out that the westmere system would have to reach a minimum of 4350MHz to get to 100,000PPD..
Now after talking to terry last night and hearing his thoughts and observations and also looking at Fallwinds output of close to 56,000PPD at 4100 on a single socket I may be a bit high on that 4350 number.
Might tip 100K at 4100..We'll see and soon..;)

NaeKuh
03-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Oh and, I have way more Intel hexas than you do, by the way :rofl:

i know!

which is why i said i cant believe you go with that wind.

Its like this jcool... with HT on... do you think daves machine will NOT be able to finish a WU in half the time as a MC?

Because thats all he would need to catch up.

Now ask yourself that question... can a 4.4ghz gulfy with HT finish its work in half the time a 2.2ghz MC would?

Cuz thats all it would take to tie.

jcool
03-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd worked out that the westmere system would have to reach a minimum of 4350MHz to get to 100,000PPD..
Now after talking to terry last night and hearing his thoughts and observations and also looking at Fallwinds output of close to 56,000PPD at 4100 on a single socket I may be a bit high on that 4350 number.
Might tip 100K at 4100..We'll see and soon..;)

My estimation is solely based on granted credit, running cancer projects only - you will get more for certain other projects, I am certain.

And no, Terry, I do not think a 2,2Ghz Magny-Cours will take >10 hours for a WU. You won't get far below a 5h average on HCC/HFCC with HT enabled... and even my old-as-crap 2Ghz Barcelonas do these WUs in 7-8 hours.

INFRNL
03-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Good luck to the winner. I am not good at essays or the like, so I will not enter.
ARe these systems avaiable to purchase? How much would one cost?

@ Jcool's/Naekuh's argument; this isn't apples to apples comparison. you are talking 12/24(Intel) to double(48,AMD). So it takes Double the AMD cores to get what 1/2 Intel can do if I read this correctly :shrug:

Movieman
03-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Good luck to the winner. I am not good at essays or the like, so I will not enter.
ARe these systems avaiable to purchase? How much would one cost?

@ Jcool's/Naekuh's argument; this isn't apples to apples comparison. you are talking 12/24(Intel) to double(48,AMD). So it takes Double the AMD cores to get what 1/2 Intel can do if I read this correctly :shrug:

I wrote in and if I win it's going to a certain guy here that will get the most out of it.
I thought about it and can't think of a better person to work this beast.
Saying this beforehand intentionally.

INFRNL
03-06-2010, 06:24 PM
I wrote in and if I win it's going to a certain guy here that will get the most out of it.

Well I hope that it goes this way. Wish you the best so this guy gets a well deserved gift:up:

D_A
03-06-2010, 10:18 PM

One Intel core with hyperthreading is equivalent to 2 AMD cores UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS (capitals for emphasis, not shouting). Any advantage you see from HTT will evaporate if the core has to completely reload the cache every time it switches threads, for example.
If the threads you're processing are efficiently constructed (let's say they're perfect, just to make it easier) then there is no point in the thread where the CPU is waiting for anything. Adding HTT in this instance will reduce performance as the CPU switches back and forth between threads (even assuming a perfect cache policy with zero misses).
In the real world, where even the best programmed threads have waiting time (due to IO, cache misses etc), being able to switch to another already-loaded thread with minimal penalty (compared to a single logical core) HTT will translate that time spent waiting into useful work.
To put that another way, a given CPU with HTT on will perform better running a given workload with crappy locality of reference (lots of page faults) than the same CPU with HTT off. Run a workload with very few page faults or any other delays in the processing and you won't see nearly as much performance gain, and possibly even a penalty (if for example both threads being run require all the floating point units at the same time).
To illustrate, check the stats between the different projects with HTT on and off. Each one will give different performance variations depending on the exact nature of the workload.

SocketMan
03-06-2010, 10:25 PM

He is not in Nashville is he? ;)

BTW Canadiens can submit as well:

hh,
worth mentioning:

so most of Canada goes too,

waiting for a vs 2*5640 test :).

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246477&page=4