PDA

View Full Version : repair options

thedan55
02-25-2010, 08:40 AM
hey lads i have a big problem here

i was upgrading my system and the new boards pci-e slot was lower than expected and was also obstructed by the case. when i installed my nvidia gefore 8800 gtx one of the capacitors got caught and broke off.

ive contacted xfx and they told me that they can not repair it and an electronics store will do but i dont really trust them so thought i would come here for some expert advice before doing anything.

is there a company that will be able to repair this for me at a decent price?

i have tried to solder it myself but it didnt stick to the board and i am experienced in soldering.

any help is greatly appreciated

kind regards

Frag Maniac
02-26-2010, 08:52 PM
..i have tried to solder it myself but it didnt stick to the board and i am experienced in soldering.Then you are probably only experienced at soldering parts onto a fresh CB socket and/or desoldering, but there's also such a thing as defluxing. The left over flux residue is what probably kept it from sticking.

You can desolder with copper braid, bulb vac, etc, but if the sockets aren't good and fresh it may be necessary to swab them with a suitable solvent. There are commercial ones available of various types for defluxing, including new ones made to be "green", but something as simple as thermal compound remover, or acetone may suffice.

Try and not spill it anywhere, just dab where you see brown flux if any in the mounting holes. Probably a good idea to swab with something like denatured (pure) alcohol after. Radio Shack used to (don't know if they still do) carry a product called Zero Residue, which is basically denatured alcohol in a spray can.

It's also best to not reuse the cap that broke off if the cap itself looks physically damaged and/or it's mounting wires are not suitably long enough. If this is the case, just try and find one of identical spec and type (electrolytic, solid state, shape, size, etc).

thedan55
02-27-2010, 05:37 PM
hey thanx i fixed it in the end!!!

thanx for all the help!