PDA

View Full Version : More Errors

CaptMorgan
02-22-2010, 02:26 PM
OK I know this is getting old- my purpose for crunching is for the greater good and my growing interest in hardware- Some day hopefully to find breakthrough cures for some of these projects we participate with.
I got errors again on my i7 920/ 260 rig again- I know it could many factors the OC or the way I upgraded the driver? but all I want to do is f'n crunch even if the OC has to be slightly moderate. I know it has been noted that in the end it is better to go error free than have a greater OC. Please I hope screeny is readable- let me know if more info is needed

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/jpvalley547/Errors.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/jpvalley547/GPU-Z.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/jpvalley547/ErrorOC.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/jpvalley547/Errormessage.jpg

PoppaGeek
02-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I know well how frustrating this can get. I fought with a GTX 260 192 shader card for three months before selling it off defeated. I am sure some here remember it as much cussing and whining I did. It can be the price of admission.

One thing I am seeing is the newer WUs seem to be much more sensitive to CPU over clocks. Your OC on the 260 should be ok but I would put it at stock until or unless it is 100% stable, then start trying to OC it. If it is not stable at stock then work on your CPU OC.

CaptMorgan
02-22-2010, 03:10 PM
The irony of me being in this entire forum- not specifically this section is that I have not really OC'd much of anything except my brothers AMD 620, which is another story. But thank you I will lower the OC-or should i question that advice from you:D, jk but I will tone the OC down I just want it stable

PoppaGeek
02-22-2010, 03:18 PM
The irony of me being in this entire forum- not specifically this section is that I have not really OC'd much of anything except my brothers AMD 620, which is another story. But thank you I will lower the OC-or should i question that advice from you:D, jk but I will tone the OC down I just want it stable

Why do you ask? :devil:

Snow Crash
02-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Set core back to stock (or lower) because it does not help you crunch.
Turn the shaders down also. I don't have a 260 but take a look around and you will see that Bob is runing 1.3, Otis 1.35, so what makes you so special you think that 1.65 is going to work for you :rofl: Of course it might and I could be all wet, but until you can get your Boinc Manager, OS, NVidia drivers sorted and returning valid WUs one after the other, trying to OC blind is going to continue to frustrate you. When you are stable we can talk about an OC strategy to see if we can get your PPD up. Remeber ... a card that is running, even if it is running slow, is better than a card that crashes :up:

CaptMorgan
02-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Frustrate is 1 word for it

Snow Crash
02-24-2010, 09:34 AM
So I got Win7 loaded last night in a hurry and tweaked nothing :am:
I woke up this morning to one of those "acemd2 stopped working" messages :shakes:
Yup, sure enough M$ downloaded lots of updates and wanted a reboot.
I rebooted, turned search and indexing service off and went to my day job.
It finished the WU it was almost done with at the reboot
It started and completed another WU.
I'll need to finish a few more before I can compare to Vista,
but looks to be neck and neck, no clear advantage :shrug:
I'll be looking deeper to see what, if anything can be done to improve runtimes.

Cap ... do you want to work on one of the units you are already running or are you in the middle of your dual 275 build?
You know you have the cards to kick my ascii so what are you waiting for??? :rofl:

CaptMorgan
02-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Well I lowered everything to reasonable setting's and this i7 I have been discussing and the Xeon seem to be doing ok(knocks on large, thick piece of wood). I am glad you are doing the OS research- they all have so much crap that is not needed even if we were using some of them beyond crunching. Heck i would use linux if I had the ability to pay attention ling enough to get it all right

Snow Crash
02-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Glad to heare things are looking up.

Right now GPUGrid is having the CPU over utilization problem with Linux just like we saw for a few days at the beginning of the last beta for Windows.
Hopefully when / if they get that straightened out I will take a look at a version of Linux that we have some exprience on the team with.