PDA

View Full Version : No work available for ACEMD-GPU molecular dynamics

CaptMorgan
02-15-2010, 11:10 AM
So I finally:rolleyes: got my GTX 285 up and runnin on my Tyan board late last night and now GPU grid is telling me they " reached daily quota of 17 tasks"? I had also error'd a WU but I figured I was pushing something to much so I lowered my setting's. So whats the dealio- I got my settings so if there is no other work in a particular project it would pick up other stuff

Snow Crash
02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
You err'd and reported 17 tasks within a few hours. GPUGrid (like most other projects) has limits on how many WUs it will let you download in one day. I thought they were at 15 WUs per core but it looks like you have definately reached their pain threshold:shocked:

When I bring a new card online (or just goofing with settings) I 123Bob-It
1. Turn BOINC off completely.
2. Backup all of the BOINC data files (depends on your OS were these are)
3. Fire up BOINC Manager (make sure Suspend Network Activity is on).
4. Now play all you want. If you crash just close BOINC completely again, restore the files you backed up earlier, make a new backup copy, rinse and repeat until you have some super dealio high shaders :up:

CaptMorgan
02-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Thank you- I will assume this particular computer will accept new projects @ the start of the new day

Snow Crash
02-15-2010, 02:46 PM
So that's the machine your gonna finally bury me with right :D:

They use UTC all over their website to track tasks so I think you will get reset in a couple of hours.

I know the BOINC framework has calculations that some projects use to track your "reliability" factor and limit the number of WUs until you can prove yourself again but I doubt (don't know for sure) that GPUGrid is using any of that.

You doing some major damage at WCG with that beast???

CaptMorgan
02-15-2010, 03:26 PM
So that's the machine your gonna finally bury me with right :D:

They use UTC all over their website to track tasks so I think you will get reset in a couple of hours.

I know the BOINC framework has calculations that some projects use to track your "reliability" factor and limit the number of WUs until you can prove yourself again but I doubt (don't know for sure) that GPUGrid is using any of that.

You doing some major damage at WCG with that beast???

Yes I am, well for me anyways it has gotten me in the top 20. I can't believe that I waited this long to get that card installed onto that setup though:shakes:. I have never had any problems of that sort getting a new card on the grid before and was excited for this card to start cutting WU's like a blowtorch through butter:D
I did try restarting BOINC but last communica with the GPUGrid server was @ 3:52? Since then my other rigs have received new projects so hopefully I will get some luvin soon again:cool:

Thanks for all the input:up::up::up:

UPDATE= grabbed the latest driver and rebooted and it has grabbed new WU's so hopefully I am good to go! got the shaders @ 1700 and seems ok so far

Snow Crash
02-15-2010, 03:48 PM
1700 is higher than my 285 can handle (1656 no volt mods yet) ... I hope it works for you!
I can't wait to see what Bob brings once he sees you eating up his pie :up:

CaptMorgan
02-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I am not sure what this means now- I am trying to take a screeny and post it but this is a stripped down rig. I had the 2 WU's that BOINC received when I restarted now there is only 1? So I hope I did not error again; specifically an error from an OC'd GFX card would end up where? On the users side with the computer or in BOINC with the GPUGRID wu's?

MikeB12
02-15-2010, 04:05 PM
here's what I run my gtx285 at... and it's production... (btw: you'l get more work tomorrow, you returned too many bad wu's apparently and they turned off the faucet on you)

http://i46.tinypic.com/o5t2li.jpg

CaptMorgan
02-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Lol I've been shut off and I don't even drink anymore:rofl:

MikeB12
02-15-2010, 04:14 PM
don't worry, they'll turn the faucet back on overnight... just make sure you're not set too high and send a bunch of errors again once they turn you back on, otherwise they'll shut you down for another 24hr cycle.
I've done that to myself quite a bit too when I get new cards trying to find the max oc gpugrid projects will run stable.. maybe the settings I posted will wrok on your card too. mine turns about 20k/day once it runs for a month 24/7 and the average catches up. my oc, driver and client version, and ppd average is listed in the screenie. good luck

CaptMorgan
02-15-2010, 04:20 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/jpvalley547/Boinc-1.jpg

I hope this aint too big and it is readable

MikeB12
02-15-2010, 04:25 PM
yeah, that's what it looks like when they turn the faucet off on you... just turn your settings down to stock, make sure you have a good driver and let it run overnight. you'll be back up and running tomorrow.

then you can oc it and watch the project closely. if you see errors. stop the client and reduce your oc. like I said try my driver and client ver, and oc setting. I'm on stock voltage.

if you have it set too high, or are using a bad driver or client and dont catch it before you hit the faucet wall. then they'll just turn it off again. then you'll be set back another day.

Snow Crash
02-15-2010, 05:43 PM
I like the Bob-It method I mentioned above so I can try to home in on my OC attempts for as long as I want and not trash the rest of my day's production.

<OT>Mike ... have you switched your GPUGrid preferences to use the new ACEMD2?
It runs the same experiments 60% faster ... more work gets done, more points get earned !!!</OT>

MikeB12
02-15-2010, 05:49 PM
<OT>Mike ... have you switched your GPUGrid preferences to use the new ACEMD2?
It runs the same experiments 60% faster ... more work gets done, more points get earned !!!</OT>

I haven't messed with it, but it was already set when I looked. maybe the benchmark set it for me...

http://i50.tinypic.com/axbqqf.jpg

Snow Crash
02-15-2010, 05:59 PM
I know when they first put it up it had both selected.
Did you uncheck the old version?
and Yes to the next parameter (send work from other app if none available ....blah).

MikeB12
02-15-2010, 06:04 PM
I know when they first put it up it had both selected.
Did you uncheck the old version?
and Yes to the next parameter (send work from other app if none available ....blah).

tbh, I've never even looked at that page before tonight... and this is how it is set...

http://i45.tinypic.com/2gsem1e.jpg

Snow Crash
02-16-2010, 05:29 AM
I know you are a set it and forget it kinda guy ... serious numbers without the nonsense :up:
When I saw you post I figured I had one opportunity to catch you. I am at work and they have the pics blocked so I can't see your screenie, I'll check back tonight.

CaptMorgan
02-16-2010, 08:22 AM
I upgraded 2 of my rigs to driver 196.21- 1 of the 920's and the Xeon. I got errors on the 920, I caught the message early this morning before I went to bed something about the driver failing?

Snow Crash
02-16-2010, 06:37 PM
@Mike ... I unchecked the first app in the list ACEMD as that is the old version that takes much longer runtime to process and I also checked the box in the next section that says
If no work for selected applications is available, accept work from other applications?

It says that your default location is Home but I can;t tell if your machines are really set to use Home and if so are the application settings the same as you dispayed here for that profile?

@Captain :shrug: I am running 196.21 on Vista 64 Ult with no issues.

PoppaGeek
02-16-2010, 06:54 PM
I upgraded 2 of my rigs to driver 196.21- 1 of the 920's and the Xeon. I got errors on the 920, I caught the message early this morning before I went to bed something about the driver failing?

Are you uninstalling old drivers and running Driver Sweeper before installing new drivers?

MikeB12
02-16-2010, 07:34 PM
here's my machines Snow... I'm still on 195.62, haven't upgraded recently... and I'm using the client listed on http://www.gpugrid.net/join.php (for gpugrid and wcg)

http://i48.tinypic.com/4j82sn.jpg

btw< if it helps when I change drivers:
1-exit boinc
2-uninstall drivers with windows uninstall (control panel) for ALL nvidia entries.
3-then reboot (exit boinc on boot) and install the new driver.
4-then reboot and let boinc run.

and it usually picks right back up.. no fuss, no muss.
but if I have an oc, I have to select it in evga precision tool on the final boot boinc start.

My 260 is a oc model so I let it run stock, same with my 2xgts250... but my 285 is a stock clock model and I have a profile #1 set for it in evga precision tool. so I have to select it on the final run boot. (see above post of it)..

that's all I really do..

123bob
02-16-2010, 07:40 PM
1700 is higher than my 285 can handle (1656 no volt mods yet) ... I hope it works for you!
I can't wait to see what Bob brings once he sees you eating up his pie :up:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/123bob_bucket/680i%20install%20pics/3more260-216s.jpg

......three more 260-216s caught on sale today at Fry's. $179 each. :rofl:

It really doesn't have anything to do with anyone catching me, just that I caught them on sale and still have plenty of empty spots in my rigs. That's my story and I'm sticking with it....:ROTF:

Regards,
Bob

Otis11
02-16-2010, 09:34 PM
......three more 260-216s caught on sale today at Fry's. $179 each. :rofl:

It really doesn't have anything to do with anyone catching me, just that I caught them on sale and still have plenty of empty spots in my rigs. That's my story and I'm sticking with it....:ROTF:

Regards,
Bob

:shocked:

Very nice! :clap: