PDA

View Full Version : Best software to monitor Istanbul CPU temps

Chris_redfield
02-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Hey guys I've finally got my DP istanbul build finished and underwater I just have a few concerns about CPU temps. Mainly that I can't see what they are.

I just want to make sure I put the waterblocks on correctly (I have so little faith in my own abilities :rolleyes: )

AOD only seems to supprt certain chipsets (I'm running an nforce one :( )

Real temp which is what I'd usually use is Intel only.

Core temp doesn't support anything past four cores according to the release notes (I also tried using it it seemed to think I had gone sub zero.)

And speedfan, well it crashes every other time I open it but it seems to display temperatures that move up and down in corelation with the CPU's load which is more than I can say for the others. However it reports on as being 22C and the other CPU as being 29C under load. This seems really low to me and there seems to be a massive difference between the two processors. (Both are on a serial loop though, I was expecting the second CPU to be hotter but not by as much as that.)

Does anyone here have any experience with Istanbul opterons and seeing what their temps are?

At the moment all I can think of is to leave WCG at 100% and if it doesn't shut down then I assume its fine.

freeloader
02-14-2010, 02:16 PM
First off, pictures please. :)

Secondly, you can talk to Particle as he has run a Nvidia DP Istanbul setup.

DosDuoNo
02-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Everest should read the temps ok :)

if not get yourself a temp probe :up:

Chris_redfield
02-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Cheers DosDuoNo for some reaosn everest had skipped my mind I am dl'ing and trying that out now.

Pics as requested :cool:

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss350/tomvito1/PC4.jpg

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss350/tomvito1/PC3.jpg

Sorry the quality isn't great I'm not a great photographer and the settings are limited on my brothers digital camera (It doesn't even have a manual focus.)

i found nemo
02-14-2010, 03:27 PM
core temp? should be in everest too?

Chris_redfield
02-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Core temp doesn't support the CPU's.

Everest gives me a bucket load of information thats all correct, but then tells me the CPU temp for CPU 0 is just 20C and CPU 1 is 21C. And the system has been under 100% load now for well over an hour and a half.

If everest is actually correct then the OCZ Hydra Flow waterblocks are the best damned waterblocks ever. They cost me £19 each and came with fittings for everything from AM2 to i7 and even had two sizes of barbs.

karbonkid
02-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Nice :]

Just a little note - if the Speedster2 is the same with memory as the Speedster, you don't have dual-channel enabled. You need adjacent slots occupied. If things have changed on the Speedster2, please excuse my ignorance...

Also, ignore the on-board temp sensor readings. They're waaaay out. Temps from the CPUs themselves should be fine. I was about to say 'lm-sensors should pick it up fine...' until I realised I'm spending too long in Linuxland..

Chris_redfield
02-14-2010, 04:15 PM
So in order for it to run dual channel one stick has to be in a yellow slot and the next in a black?

Cheers for the heads up on the memory Karbonkid I will look into that over the next few days.

Lol, I did think initially if only I were in Linux. But then I soon dismissed that idea because whilst I have a basic grasp linux confuses me and it takes me ten times longer to do anything.

karbonkid
02-14-2010, 04:46 PM
So in order for it to run dual channel one stick has to be in a yellow slot and the next in a black?

Cheers for the heads up on the memory Karbonkid I will look into that over the next few days.

Lol, I did think initially if only I were in Linux. But then I soon dismissed that idea because whilst I have a basic grasp linux confuses me and it takes me ten times longer to do anything.

Yeah, I always wondered why they coloured the slots as they have, makes no sense whatsoever. Check your manual, just to make sure, though. Mine says Slots 1&2 or 3&4 to enable dual-channel. Memtest86+ confirms that this is correct for me.

BeepBeep2
02-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Ditch the hyrdoflow blocks...http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=8&artpage=4162&articID=931

Go back 2 pages and find that the contact to the IHS doesnt even cover all of Instabul's die space.

Mats
02-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Ditch the hyrdoflow blocks...[url]
Go back 2 pages and find that the contact to the IHS doesnt even cover all of Instabul's die space.
Is the CPU longer than 24 mm?
The cooling area is 576 mm^2 (file://localhost/c:/Windows/System32/calc.exe) and the Isthubanople is 346 mm^2 (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/01/amd_launches_istanbul/).
Anyway, a larger base contact wouldn't hurt, like you say.;)

BeepBeep2
02-14-2010, 08:31 PM
It was sort of a joke...

Mats
02-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Me didin't see, me tired.:D