PDA

View Full Version : Chaintech 7vjl

12Bravo
08-16-2002, 05:44 AM
Sup yall, I am a complete n00b to oc'ing but am looking to get alot of great info from this and other bb's. I guess the main thing that I have been wondering about is mobo's... I keep seeing Abit and Epox being thrown out there as some of the most used, but I have also heard alot about the Chaintech 7VJL. Has anyone here had any experience with this board, or Chaintech as a whole?

SPQQKY
08-16-2002, 06:23 PM
I would stay away from that board. Not that it is a bad product, but you will not find it to be what you expect if you are going to be overclocking. It looks like that Apogee overclocking is strictly software induced through Windows. I have seen that with boards from QDI. I would stick with the better known boards (that's why they are better known :p).
Look for EPoX, Abit, Soyo, MSI, Shuttle and Asus. The Abit's and EPoX are the best of the best. Overclocking is done through BIOS on these boards and they offer vcore and vdimm adjustments as well as a lot of tweaks.

12Bravo
08-18-2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by SPQQKY
It looks like that Apogee overclocking is strictly software induced through Windows.

I beg to differ (http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/Chaintech/7VJL/page3.htm)

Originally posted by SPQQKY
Overclocking is done through BIOS on these boards and they offer vcore and vdimm adjustments as well as a lot of tweaks.

Specs for the 7VJL (all adjustable through the BIOS, just check out VR-Zone's review linked above)

VCore up to 2.0V
VDIMM up to 2.95V
VAGP up to 1.95V
VChipset up to 2.95V

I dunno, it just seems to me like this board has all the guts in all the right places and VR-Zone's review (http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/Chaintech/7VJL/) seems to agree.

Tweaked!
08-18-2002, 06:16 AM
Choose what you think best fits your needs, but SpQQky is right, Abit and Epox rules for the moment. The rest of the brands he named are also very good. If you're looking for actual results, look over at places like madonion.com and check out the current ruling scores and that'll give you a good idea of which combinations are working the best together. Me personally, I would'nt touch the chaintech board. If I'm going to be putting any money out at all, it will go towards the boards I know work great rather than taking a chance on a long shot and getting dsisapointed. Thats kinda like deciding on which chip to purchase, 1.6 going for 150.00 versus a 1.9 going for 155.00, I think I would go the extra 5 bucks and get a faster chip. ;)

SPQQKY
08-18-2002, 06:30 AM
Sorry for any misinformation, but it does include Apogee overclocking software. I would still stick with the better known boards. I especially like EPoX because of their excellent support.

Camelot One
09-07-2002, 08:41 AM
Actualy, it doesn't INCLUDE the overclocking program. You have to download it. Not that it matters, it doesn't do anything you can't do in the bios.

I just got this board, and so far it, and the company, are a nightmare.

Wildone
09-28-2002, 08:39 PM
I got 2 of the apogee's both have been great to me,got my 1600+ to 1880,a fsb of 220 and a 3d mark increase of 1000 points,9316 with a mildly overclocked gf3 ti 200.

The apogee overclocking utility does have a few things not available in the bios,but only a few things like the ability to undervolt.

wildone