PDA

View Full Version : Very, slow FPS at startup in all 3D aps, high FPS-major stuttering

Sneil
02-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Ive been having a problem with my 3D aps ever since i upgraded my system to an I7 platform. I have the X58 3X classified, 920 @ 4.2Ghz, 6gigs ddr3 1800 7,7,7,20 and Tri SLI gtx260s, same HDD.

The problem is, whenever I start up any 3d game, my fps are extremely choppy for the first min or so. Say in crysis I have to completely look over all my surroundings so everything can be loaded into the memory it seems before the fps finally smoothen out. If i do the crysis benchmark, the first run is crazy choppy and slow then the next two(3 run loop bench) are all smooth as butter. Seems as if everything has to be loaded into memory and its taking its damn slow time doing it.

This wasnt an issue before with my q9300, 750i and dual GTX 260s. What's going on?

Note it's not just crysis but everything. Including 3d bench aps like 3D mark which is even more frustrating. Please help!

Frag Maniac
02-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Have you checked to see if it happens in dual vs tri SLI too?

Gilhooley
02-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Sounds like either a slow HD or a slow PCIE bus. As you get full speed when the data is loaded on the gpu memory, it can only be one of those faults.

Install the intel chipset drivers and directx again, then test as above dual/single. The MB may limit the PCIE bandwith, broken or borked bios / settings?..

Sneil
02-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Sounds like either a slow HD or a slow PCIE bus. As you get full speed when the data is loaded on the gpu memory, it can only be one of those faults.

Install the intel chipset drivers and directx again, then test as above dual/single. The MB may limit the PCIE bandwith, broken or borked bios / settings?..
Thanks man Ill give that a shot. And yes the same thing would happen in dual SLI as well. Ive reinstalled Oblivion, modded it to the max as far as graphics go with 16x supersampling aa and my FPS are about a steady 45-60 fps on Fraps in the large outdoor areas, however it continues to stutter like you wouldnt believe and feels like 20-25 fps. This is quite frustrating. Ill try installing those two things again and see what happens...

I dont know if it would be the HD, seemed to be working fine on my previous system.

Edit: Settings in the Bios are at default aside from cpu, ram frequencies and voltages. I recently flashed the bios but im pretty sure this problem was occuring prior as well. Ill try a different version as well.

Another thing, in oblivion when things are getting choppy, if I were to suddenly move the mouse really fast to spin the camera around it hangs then crashes to the desktop... Happens, in both dual and tri SLI. Also I reinstalled the chipset drivers and updated dx(dont know how to do a fresh install of dx) and still the same thing.

so, bad mobo perhaps? Any way to properly test this? I'll do a reflash to an older bios and see if that changes anything...

Musho
02-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Do you happen to have the QPI-link in slow mode? That might be causing it? I'm really clueless, it's quite weird as you mentioned. Maybe try and see if you have the same problem with a single GPU?

Sneil
02-14-2010, 09:04 AM
qpi fast mode is enabled :/ ill try a sing gpu and see what happens. Could it also be a psu problem?

dengyong
02-14-2010, 09:27 AM
qpi fast mode is enabled :/ ill try a sing gpu and see what happens. Could it also be a psu problem?

Yes, what psu do you have and how old is it ?

Sneil
02-14-2010, 09:39 AM
I have a PC P&C Turbo-Cool 1K SR, 2ish years old. However it's not Tri sli ready, I bought a Corsair 1000HX that is on its way and I'm selling this one(if its not defective). Ive only had tri-sli since 3 days ago with my new card and Im using Y 6-pin Molex adapters for that card until I get the new psu. however I figured it was all off the same rail so shouldn't be a problem correct? Same problem was occuring in dual sli before and currently so i ruled out the 6-pid adapters as the problem...:confused:

Also, seeing as both my threads are getting fairly active(one in the intel section as well crated after this one,) could a mod merge the two to avoid confusion?

WRC
02-17-2010, 09:27 PM
It seems like the hard drive cannot load the texture fast enough into the memory, so basically it's bottlenecking the whole system. I would try to get a intel x25M 80GB, or maybe a velociraptor before throwing money at a new psu. According to Anandtech reviews SSD's generally improve the min FPS in games, so trying a new drive in your system would definetly be worth a shot.

[XC] gomeler
02-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Try defragging the hard-drive to start. I'd simplify the system with a single 260 at bone stock and the CPU/mem at stock also. See if the problem exhibits itself at stock settings. If it does then that will help narrow stuff down. Make sure you aren't somehow throttling thermally either. Monitor CPU and GPU temps and see if anything is hitting a silly temp.

You mention it is the same drive. In making the switch from Core 2 to Core i7 did you re-install the OS? I switch drives around all the time for testing hardware but going X58 -> P55 and back again typically destroys the OS. Going 750i -> X58 might have borked something.