PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 7.2 receiver turning off after 5 seconds

Telo
02-09-2010, 11:39 AM
HI,

While watching the Super Bowl and drinking, I was running the cables for my 7.2 surround sound. At the last connection I kinda made a short at the wall plate and the receiver turned off. Now it turns on and then turns back off at around 5 seconds. Is this a fuse issue or did more extensive damage happen to it? :shrug:

jason str
02-11-2010, 06:59 AM
If it was the fuse it would not turn on at all, sounds like you shorted out your receiver.

Double check all your connections to make sure no wires are touching or shorted.

Still in warranty ?

PaganII
02-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Most, if not all, receivers have a protection circuit. If it detects a shorted condition a relay will trip and cut power to avoid a fire. Not uncommon for a shorted power amplifier chip (final amp stage) to trigger this event. Solution=replace the bad amp chip. Sometimes catastrophic failure backwards thru the signal path so replacing power amp chip alone may not fix it plus you need to check DC bias after replacing chips. It is usually repairable. If receiver has discrete amp chips (1 for each channel) then just 1 chip to replace. Call a reputable repair shop.

NKrader
02-12-2010, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=PagenII;4239997]Most, if not all, receivers have a protection circuit.QUOTE]

yep check all wires make sure none touching ive had same problem with my onkyo.. had some wires touching in the back.. go thru and make sure all wires are good before calling out for repair