PDA

View Full Version : PCI noise??

Tim1
02-07-2010, 12:07 PM
So i have this problem of a buz type noise coming from my speakers. This happens whenever there is a load on the GPU, mainly when i enter a game of any kind. What can i do to get rid of this noise? I had this problem before but i solved it by moving out my modem plug from the power rack to a different power source. Haven't changed anything since then but when i changed my GPU recently from a 8800gtx to a gtx275 i got the buzzing noise agian. Any help will be much appreciated.

Im running a stereo setup btw:
HTOmega Claro Halo
Yamaha HS-80m's
PolkAudio PSW505
PreSonus Monitor Station

Serra
02-07-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm guessing it's crosstalk from the PCI-E lanes.... I guess possibly due to increased power draw (?) or increased lane utilization on the part of your new graphics card. If so, your audio card probably isn't causing it so there wouldn't be a lot to do but look for a new motherboard.

Bit of a guess though, someone else feel free to step in and offer better advice.

RoadconeTuning
02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
oddly enough i have a similar problem but im using onboard audio and the buzz went down when i went from a 9600GT to a 5850... now i can just hear the card itself have a minor scream if i have the side off the case.

[XC] Lead Head
02-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I doubt its PCI-E data interference. The more likely thing is that your video card is crapping up the 12 or 5v power rail feeding the sound card. Only real way to get rid of it would be to find another motherboard, another GPU, or if you are feeling brave - to solder up bigger capacitors on the power feed area of your sound card.

Tim1
02-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Lead Head;4233262']I doubt its PCI-E data interference. The more likely thing is that your video card is crapping up the 12 or 5v power rail feeding the sound card. Only real way to get rid of it would be to find another motherboard, another GPU, or if you are feeling brave - to solder up bigger capacitors on the power feed area of your sound card.

I doubt it would be fun to replace my evga classified :(

But I am crazy enough to solder bigger caps on the sound card. Hmm i think were gonna get a project going. Mind talking more about this?

Jokester_wild
02-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Electrical tape up your soundcard's pci bracket. no im not joking, it works.

Tim1
02-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Electrical tape up your soundcard's pci bracket. no im not joking, it works.

Explain that a little more if u can. Don't fully understand what u said

Jokester_wild
02-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Explain that a little more if u can. Don't fully understand what u said

Take your card out, remove the pci braket (metal plate). Take some black electrical tape and cleanly cover the metal bracket with it. Then take a small knife or such and cut the holes needed for the jacks to go through. then put back on the card and install in computer.

[XC] Lead Head
02-07-2010, 03:24 PM
I doubt it would be fun to replace my evga classified :(

But I am crazy enough to solder bigger caps on the sound card. Hmm i think were gonna get a project going. Mind talking more about this?

Bigger caps can help filter out unwnanted noise the card could be picking up from the power rail. You could also get some EMF shielding to put on the back of the card/

Tim1
02-07-2010, 04:27 PM
I'll try the black tape thing tomorrow.
And what kind of exact caps do u reccomend? I have to find a diagram of the sound card and figure out where it's getting power from on the pci lane

EniGmA1987
02-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I hear most people in the audio world recommend metallized film capacitors. I guess they supposedly sound better. Yes everything DOES have a different sound to it, but whether different types of capacitors have a significantly different sound or not I do not know from first have experience. NapalmV5 or ROB might now more, Napalm did a really great looking total recap mod on a sound card.