PDA

View Full Version : Gaming and GPUGRID

CaptMorgan
02-06-2010, 06:44 PM
So ya I game some are not as graphically intensive as others but I was wondering heat&stress wise should I stop or lower GPU grid? I know with WCG there have been a few instances where it was best to suspend activity while gaming-my plan is to move gaming to a new rig with some of these nice cards I have acquired recently:up: + it's about time I got to have a bit of Direct X above 9:cool:

PoppaGeek
02-06-2010, 06:51 PM
You won't hurt the card. Game may/may not be effected. Try it. I have done it and it went ok but I stopped doing it mostly to game, MMO, and Boinc hitting hard drive at same time caused game lag.

lkiller123
02-06-2010, 06:52 PM
So ya I game some are not as graphically intensive as others but I was wondering heat&stress wise should I stop or lower GPU grid? I know with WCG there have been a few instances where it was best to suspend activity while gaming-my plan is to move gaming to a new rig with some of these nice cards I have acquired recently:up: + it's about time I got to have a bit of Direct X above 9:cool:

Well for me I occasionally play FPS, one thing I noticed is not about heat or stress, but it actually lags when you game.

So if you want lag-free gaming, you can snooze GPU when you need it.

Otis11
02-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I haven't noticed many problems of gaming while running GPUGrid...

But if you're playing a fast paced game where every second counts you might suspend it. Mine will rarely lag for a second or 2 tops every couple hours, but as that normally doesn't affect my game i don't care much.

Hope this helps! :up:

MikeB12
02-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Right click the systray icon and "snooze" if you're gonna need the video card.... it's complicated to explain and varies according to the app and video card.. for example, I had to snooze my gts250 gpugrid while playing videos in VLC (otherwise the video lagged), but I dont have to on the gtx 285 (the vlc videos play fine with gpugrid running on the 285)... media center wtv files played fine on the 250 and 285 while gpugrid was running. so it's a "as needed basis".. but if you want the full video power for the app, then snooze gpugrid. it's not so simple we can say yay or nay. you need to play with it yourself and see. it's not something we can tell you yay or nay on this forum, you need to do it yourself and see.

it might also be noted that "snooze" resumes after a certain time period. maybe an hour... so if you're in a long time period app, it might be best to exit boinc. then restart after you're done.
I've snoozed boinc on my 250/quad amd htpc machine, and watched a movie only to realize it starts lagging and staggering before the movie is over.

Kingcarcas
02-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I stop everything when gaming, i don't want any problems.