PDA

View Full Version : gtx 295 screen tearing?

Mabyboi
02-06-2010, 03:36 PM
I just tried playing crysis on high settings for the first time in 6 months, and through all the cut scenes and the starting of the game there was a rediculous amount of screen tearing.. like 4-5 places at once...

gtx 295 on a 40" sony bravia @ 1080p, high settings.

newest drivers and on water, not overclocked.

any ideas?

joger
02-07-2010, 12:19 AM
V-sync :ROTF:

But on a more serious note, I have a 295 and so far I have found no other solution to tearing or microstutter.

JohnZS
02-07-2010, 04:03 AM
I have :)
To resolve the screen tearing issue you need to create a custom refresh rate.
To do this you need to do the following

1) go into your nVidia control panel
2) Select Change Resolution
3) Click add a custom resolution
4) Add your native resolution, but click on the timing tab
5) set timing to manual
6) change from 60.000 to 60.001
7) Set and Save

This should resolve the screen tearing issue.
With regards to micro stutter a lot depends on the game. For Stalker Clearsky Setting Pre-rendered frames to 2 eliminates the issue. For GTA IV setting it to 1 eliminates the issue. Just experiment with this setting and you will eliminate the problem.
John

Mabyboi
02-07-2010, 08:46 AM
I have :)
To resolve the screen tearing issue you need to create a custom refresh rate.
To do this you need to do the following

1) go into your nVidia control panel
2) Select Change Resolution
3) Click add a custom resolution
4) Add your native resolution, but click on the timing tab
5) set timing to manual
6) change from 60.000 to 60.001
7) Set and Save

This should resolve the screen tearing issue.
With regards to micro stutter a lot depends on the game. For Stalker Clearsky Setting Pre-rendered frames to 2 eliminates the issue. For GTA IV setting it to 1 eliminates the issue. Just experiment with this setting and you will eliminate the problem.
John

thank you good sir, i did this and when i get to playing crysis again ill let you know.

EDIT: even after doing this there is still a fair bit of screen tearing...

JohnZS
02-07-2010, 10:43 AM
thank you good sir, i did this and when i get to playing crysis again ill let you know.

EDIT: even after doing this there is still a fair bit of screen tearing...

Is the situation worse or better? (screen tearing wise)?
Another thing to try is setting Pre-rendered frames to 2

John

Mabyboi
02-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Is the situation worse or better? (screen tearing wise)?
Another thing to try is setting Pre-rendered frames to 2

John

its better, a fair bit actually, its taken the number of screen tears down from 5-6 to abour 2-3.. still noticable though... how would i go about changing that setting?

vlaszlo
02-07-2010, 02:53 PM
To have 3 screen tears you must have 4 x 60 = 240 fps ... in crysis ? something is not right ... ( and enable vsync )

Mabyboi
02-07-2010, 05:00 PM
To have 3 screen tears you must have 4 x 60 = 240 fps ... in crysis ? something is not right ... ( and enable vsync )

not only were there 3 screen tears, there were 6 before. also when im gaming i can see a distinct colour difference between tears... in a jungle level for instance, the top section divided by the tear was darker then the next.

it went:

Darker
Tear
Lighter
Tear
Darker
tear
Lighter.

was sooo messed uo..

vlaszlo
02-08-2010, 06:19 AM
Are you sure that these "stripes" are not some "feature" of the sony display processor ?
How it looks on some regular lcd monitor ?
Maybe you can try to force vsync on (nvidia control panel or rivatuner) and test preprender limit 1 or 0
Very strange problem, at first I thought you were joking.

Mabyboi
02-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Are you sure that these "stripes" are not some "feature" of the sony display processor ?
How it looks on some regular lcd monitor ?
Maybe you can try to force vsync on (nvidia control panel or rivatuner) and test preprender limit 1 or 0
Very strange problem, at first I thought you were joking.

unfortunately im not joking. and theres no tearing for anything else i do, theres a bit in some games, and a fair chunk in crysis....

JohnZS
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
That does not seem right at all.
Usually pre-rendered frames of 2 and the 60.001Hz setting eliminates all stutter and frame tearing.
Are you using HDMI?
If so how long is the cable
Have you tried swapping ends of the cable?
Have you tried a different DVI to HDMI adaptor?
Have you tried turning off any image enhancements/post processing features of your TV?
John

Mabyboi
02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
That does not seem right at all.
Usually pre-rendered frames of 2 and the 60.001Hz setting eliminates all stutter and frame tearing.
Are you using HDMI?
If so how long is the cable
Have you tried swapping ends of the cable?
Have you tried a different DVI to HDMI adaptor?
Have you tried turning off any image enhancements/post processing features of your TV?
John

i havent changed the pre-rendered frames, i dont know how...

yes im using hdmi
its 10ft
ill try swapping out the cable and the adapter...
i have game mode on, and i just fixed the issue with the bravia tv's and the auto dimming...

JohnZS
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
To change pre-rendered frames do the following.
1) Enter your nVidia control panel.
2) Select Manage 3D settings.
3) Select Maximum Pre-rendered frames
4) Change value from default of 3 to 2

I find that 2 tends to work best for the GTX 295, a value of 3 tends to work best with the 285. However this value can vary from game to game. Setting it to 0 can cause crashes as some games just don't like that value, 1 is good for reducing mouse lag, yet can have an adverse effect on performance. 3 for me has a bit of stutter or shudder and some mouse lag
John

Mabyboi
02-14-2010, 10:34 PM
So ive done everything, and im still having these issues... new games: portal and BFBC2 also tear... new monitor... changed the stuff in the control pannel... im starting to get really pissed off... i hope to god its not the gtx 295...

CryptiK
02-15-2010, 01:46 AM
How did it start or has the card always done this? Sounds like it used to be ok, then since you started playing crysis again on the 40" it started. Are there any games that don't tear? Does it work fine with a normal monitor at say 1920x1200?

Tried rolling back to some old drivers?

Andrea deluxe
02-15-2010, 01:50 AM
I just tried playing crysis on high settings for the first time in 6 months, and through all the cut scenes and the starting of the game there was a rediculous amount of screen tearing.. like 4-5 places at once...

gtx 295 on a 40" sony bravia @ 1080p, high settings.

newest drivers and on water, not overclocked.

any ideas?

enable v-sync

set pre-rendered frame from 3 to 0

enable triple buffering

disable trilinear optimization

force anisotropic filtering to 16x

application controlled anti aliasing

ensure ful screen setting in the game by press ALT+ENTER during the game.

please try and post result.

JohnZS
02-16-2010, 12:11 AM
This might be just an issue localised to me, but I find Pre-Rendered frames set to 0 can cause some instability and crashes to the desktop. 2 is ideal for performance and 1 can help eliminate micro pauses which 2 does not remove.
John

CryptiK
02-16-2010, 07:27 AM
To the suggestion above about enabling triple buffering - this will only actually work if the game has the setting and you enable it in-game. Just using the nvidia control panel does not enable it for all games afaik, you'd have to use rivatuner's d3d overider for that.

In theory vsync or triple buffering where applicable should work to solve this.

[DANGERDAN]
02-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I researched this for 2 months and i can say there is no real fix except for vsync which removes all tearing but in result gives some sort of a mouse lag and that inturn has no fix either.

Mabyboi
02-16-2010, 08:42 PM
To the suggestion above about enabling triple buffering - this will only actually work if the game has the setting and you enable it in-game. Just using the nvidia control panel does not enable it for all games afaik, you'd have to use rivatuner's d3d overider for that.

In theory vsync or triple buffering where applicable should work to solve this.

there is a small increase, anything helps, thank you.

;4246258']I researched this for 2 months and i can say there is no real fix except for vsync which removes all tearing but in result gives some sort of a mouse lag and that inturn has no fix either.

well thats dissapointing...

JohnZS
02-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Do you have PCI-E Spread Spectrum enabled within the BIOS?
IF so you might want to disable this as by design this feature fluctuates the PCI-E clock by a small amount to reduce the risk of EMI. (Electro Magnetic Interference).
Lastly, this one might not do your Carbon Footprint any good, but have you tried disabling the nVidia Power Management Feature?
You can do this by:

1) entering the nVidia Control Panel.
2) Clicking Manage 3d settings
3) Ensure you are on the global tab
4) Look for "Power Management Mode"
5) Change from Adaptive to "Maximum Performance".

Best of Luck
John

Kin Hell
02-18-2010, 10:00 PM
@ MaByBoI

Try another Display Device. Even an old but fully functional CRT will do. If the tearing stops, your 40" Sony affair is either shot or not upto the job. From what I have read, this Sony Model is not capable of doing a Full 1080p display & that's probably why you're seeing the garbled mess. You could always try 720P to see if the mush disappears. Tbh, anything over 720P on anything less than a 50" display is a waste of time. Google is your friend if you can't swap Display Devices. ;)

If you're dying for 1080P & can't swap devices, drop the AA to 2x & I bet the tearing stops.

Kin

Mabyboi
02-19-2010, 05:13 AM
@ MaByBoI

Try another Display Device. Even an old but fully functional CRT will do. If the tearing stops, your 40" Sony affair is either shot or not upto the job. From what I have read, this Sony Model is not capable of doing a Full 1080p display & that's probably why you're seeing the garbled mess. You could always try 720P to see if the mush disappears. Tbh, anything over 720P on anything less than a 50" display is a waste of time. Google is your friend if you can't swap Display Devices. ;)

If you're dying for 1080P & can't swap devices, drop the AA to 2x & I bet the tearing stops.

Kin

I tried on my 40" tv, and also on my 24" benQ monitor here at home, both at 1080p. ill try knocking down the AA though.. thanks!