PDA

View Full Version : Are full cover GPU blocks supposed to leak in this manner?

Fatfool
01-31-2010, 12:40 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Fatfool/Dangerden5870Internalleak.jpg

Yeah. I noticed there's liquid in between the channels where the liquid is supposed to go after running the loop for a day or so. (no I didn't take off the block just because of that. My card conked out soon after I put the block on and I've gotten it exchanged.

Onoff312
01-31-2010, 12:50 AM
I can't really see anything wrong with it from the picture where exactly is it going that is so bad? out of the oring area or something?

Fatfool
01-31-2010, 01:47 AM
I can't really see anything wrong with it from the picture where exactly is it going that is so bad? out of the oring area or something?
yeah. it's getting into the middle triangle. (the purplish portion)

if it leaks internally, does it leak externally as well? :shocked:

Onoff312
01-31-2010, 01:58 AM
Hmm that is weird but i don't think it would be anything to worry about you could pull apart the block and reseat the oring quite easily.
But would that not be where the core is anyway and would want waterflowing there?

Fatfool
01-31-2010, 02:05 AM
Hmm that is weird but i don't think it would be anything to worry about you could pull apart the block and reseat the oring quite easily.
But would that not be where the core is anyway and would want waterflowing there?
Yeah.. I suppose I could do that though it apparently 'voids the warranty'. then again, there's no distributor for DD here and I got this from the US. but I've just been through a week of hell with this water cooling loop (you won't imagine the number of leaks and subsequent changes, RMAs and breakdowns and so, I can't bring myself to do that. I'm not out of the woods yet. my wireless card has yet to be RMAed and my chipset fan is toast.) I've mounted and removed this waterblock about four times now. One 5870 broke down and that's why I noticed this problem..

But, no that part where it's pooling is not the core. the core is at the fins area.

Onoff312
01-31-2010, 02:07 AM
Well i don't understand how they could ever figure out you took the block apart unless they use a microscope on the threads or something.
I have had a hellish time with my watercooling redoing it almost considered giving it up but it is worth it in the end.

Waterlogged
01-31-2010, 02:26 AM
Yeah.. I suppose I could do that though it apparently 'voids the warranty'. then again, there's no distributor for DD here and I got this from the US. but I've just been through a week of hell with this water cooling loop (you won't imagine the number of leaks and subsequent changes, RMAs and breakdowns and so, I can't bring myself to do that. I'm not out of the woods yet. my wireless card has yet to be RMAed and my chipset fan is toast.) I've mounted and removed this waterblock about four times now. One 5870 broke down and that's why I noticed this problem..

But, no that part where it's pooling is not the core. the core is at the fins area.

It does not void the warranty. It only voids the leak free warranty that DD blocks come with as they are tested for external leaks with compressed air before they are shipped.

Fatfool
01-31-2010, 02:37 AM
Well i don't understand how they could ever figure out you took the block apart unless they use a microscope on the threads or something.
I have had a hellish time with my watercooling redoing it almost considered giving it up but it is worth it in the end.
yeah.. you got a point....

Fatfool
01-31-2010, 02:39 AM
It does not void the warranty. It only voids the leak free warranty that DD blocks come with as they are tested for external leaks with compressed air before they are shipped.
OHhhh. well, that wouldn't have helped for internal leaks so... well, it should be fine to run like that right? myabe i'll take it out and resit the O ring once i get some replacement tubing.

Waterlogged
01-31-2010, 02:45 AM
Personally, I don't think trying to re-seat the o-ring will help much. The center of the acrylic is bowed due to the pressure from the o-rings and the screws, there are bound to be a few spots were the seal isn't all that great. Taking it apart will only increase the chance of an external leak. . .besides, pretty much all blocks have that problem in the dead center area regardless if they're sealed with a rubber o-ring or are flat against copper. . .there's always a small amount of seepage.

Fatfool
01-31-2010, 02:58 AM
Personally, I don't think trying to re-seat the o-ring will help much. The center of the acrylic is bowed due to the pressure from the o-rings and the screws, there are bound to be a few spots were the seal isn't all that great. Taking it apart will only increase the chance of an external leak. . .besides, pretty much all blocks have that problem in the dead center area regardless if they're sealed with a rubber o-ring or are flat against copper. . .there's always a small amount of seepage.
I see. okay then. better not mess with it...

Stewie007
01-31-2010, 05:57 AM
This happens because of a little bit of absence of attention to detail in design. Its not really a bad thing, as it won't be leaking around the edges.

What is happening here is due to the lack of any securing screw to compress the plastic against to o-ring in the center of the piece. Because of the flexibility of plastic, without any screws there to secure the plastic piece here, it will bow, ever so slightly and unnoticeable to the naked eye. This prevents proper contact with the o-ring in that location, allowing your leak here. Perhaps if any DD folks are looking they will take this into account in making a new revision.

Fatfool
01-31-2010, 07:20 AM
This happens because of a little bit of absence of attention to detail in design. Its not really a bad thing, as it won't be leaking around the edges.

What is happening here is due to the lack of any securing screw to compress the plastic against to o-ring in the center of the piece. Because of the flexibility of plastic, without any screws there to secure the plastic piece here, it will bow, ever so slightly and unnoticeable to the naked eye. This prevents proper contact with the o-ring in that location, allowing your leak here. Perhaps if any DD folks are looking they will take this into account in making a new revision.
They did have the summit for both the 5850 and 5870. Same design there....