PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air dying... again?

Mabyboi
01-27-2010, 09:41 PM
I understand that it is a small laptop, and im not expecting to game on it. But seriously?! this thing comes to a halt while watching youtube videos, typing word documents, surfing the web. It just slows down, heats up like crazy, and becomes unusable.... after 5 minutes of use?!

is this normal for a macbook air? (please say no)

Or should i be taking it in to the apple store?

lowfat
01-27-2010, 11:18 PM
What are you temps like?

tbone8ty
01-27-2010, 11:22 PM
could be dust in the heatsink fan, blow it out with a compress air

Mabyboi
01-28-2010, 08:13 AM
could be dust in the heatsink fan, blow it out with a compress air

did this. no change.

Nano2k
02-06-2010, 02:55 AM
There is a paying OSX CPU undervolting app that some people have been using with success to prevent their Macbook Airs from crashing or slowing down due to heat.

http://www.coolbook.se/CoolBook.html

trekie86
02-08-2010, 09:34 AM
There is a paying OSX CPU undervolting app that some people have been using with success to prevent their Macbook Airs from crashing or slowing down due to heat.

http://www.coolbook.se/CoolBook.html

Seems pretty crappy if you have to undervolt your CPU just to make stock settings work.

Mabyboi
02-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Seems pretty crappy if you have to undervolt your CPU just to make stock settings work.

thank you for posting the link to that anyways, i was kindof tempted to get it... but i do agree that it kind of sucks if i have to undervolt in order to have a properly functioning laptop...

BeepBeep2
02-09-2010, 06:46 PM
It cant hurt though, you get better battery life too...

...as long as the undervolt is stable.

Mabyboi
02-09-2010, 08:17 PM
It cant hurt though, you get better battery life too...

...as long as the undervolt is stable.

this is true, and im not critisizing the responses, everything here is helpful.

but my question is: Why is it that i have to modify my hardware, and undervolt a 1.6ghz c2d in order to get my laptop to even run properly?

why do i have to modify a consumer product to get it to run like its supposed to to begin with?

BeepBeep2
02-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I dont know, this is why I hate apple.
The 1.6 Ghz Atom in my Acer netbook idles @ 55c...

It folds all day and all night w/ slow but good results with temps of less than 65c. None of the casing gets near-warm.

That's the way a laptop should be built, so it doesn't overheat/become instable.

Mabyboi
02-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I dont know, this is why I hate apple.
The 1.6 Ghz Atom in my Acer netbook idles @ 55c...

It folds all day and all night w/ slow but good results with temps of less than 65c. None of the casing gets near-warm.

That's the way a laptop should be built, so it doesn't overheat/become instable.

exactly my point, and exactly why i am pissed.

ajaidev
02-14-2010, 04:51 AM
My Macbook Air is gen 1 and while it has the x3100 and a bit slower than the new Air's it has only gone back to be fixed once.

My friends Macbook Air with 9400M "2009" had dyed 2 times and its mobo has been changed once by Apple. Now this means that there is a fault with either the nvidia mobo or the 1.9Ghz intel cpu.

Mabyboi
02-14-2010, 10:32 PM
My Macbook Air is gen 1 and while it has the x3100 and a bit slower than the new Air's it has only gone back to be fixed once.

My friends Macbook Air with 9400M "2009" had dyed 2 times and its mobo has been changed once by Apple. Now this means that there is a fault with either the nvidia mobo or the 1.9Ghz intel cpu.

Yeah, i wish i had the 9400M version, or a macbook pro 13"... crap..