PDA

View Full Version : RAM water block UK

Spazloy
01-27-2010, 04:15 PM
hey ive seen a few worklogs (usually expensive ones) which have a really nice ram coolers (usually parked ontop of corsair dominators) and currently my ram is red hot. so i need something more than passive fans to cool it down and as ive just watercooled my pc is there a waterblock available in the uk that can cool some ram modules.

also how much do they cost (in £s) and what ram are they avaliable for?

Spazloy
01-27-2010, 04:26 PM
i would also like to know if anyone knows a website or a place where you could get a big sticker or vinyl of the ATI logo, i want one for the side of my case which is currently pearl white.

Duniek
01-27-2010, 04:31 PM
I can do both for you ;)

urgrandpasdog
01-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Koolance makes some RAM blocks (http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/cat/RAM-|-Other-Blocks_33.html), though they are a single block per module type deal, rather than the one cooled plated that attaches to the top of the modules that I think you are talking about. I believe that setup is made by MIPS, I just don't know where you can buy it from.

Utnorris
01-27-2010, 08:07 PM
You should be able to order it directly from MIPS if that is the block you want.

woffen
01-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Here is MIPS international site where you can order to the UK from:

http://www.mips-computer.com/

Onoff312
01-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Lol just had a look at their site classic english here
" - absolut stable Operation of your RAM Modules because they get not so hot, as aircooled

- longer Life of your RAM Modules, because they get not so hot as when aircooled

- more OC Potential of your RAM Modules because they run not so hot as when aircooled"

coolmiester
01-28-2010, 02:30 AM
You can order direct from MIPs (http://mips-computer.com/) who are based in Germany or from Aquatuning (http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/index.php/cat/c59_RAM-waterblocks.html) here in the UK.

Prices start at around £40 but it all depends what RAM you have.

Alexandr0s
01-28-2010, 06:02 AM
I have to agree with WL here. Just as unneccesary as LC'ing your HDD's, or even worse, trying to LC a SSD (wtf? XD).

But if you really want to do it, follow coolmiester's link. MIPS makes great blocks.

coolmiester
01-28-2010, 06:24 AM
The OP says his RAM is currently running red hot so i don't know what the fuss is about tbh

The RAM on Skulltrail runs ridiculously hot to the extent you can physically burn yourself on it but a MIPs RAM Freezer took care of that no problem and i currently have two more on the way for an S5520SC build.

:shrug:

Waterlogged
01-28-2010, 09:32 AM
The OP says his RAM is currently running red hot so i don't know what the fuss is about tbh

The RAM on Skulltrail runs ridiculously hot to the extent you can physically burn yourself on it but a MIPs RAM Freezer took care of that no problem and i currently have two more on the way for an S5520SC build.

:shrug:

I did a bit of background checking before posting what I did cm. The OP has 2 W.I.P. in the work log section and neither 1 is using anything special like a Skully.

Foxconn Blackops (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242891)

MSI SLI P6N (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242536)

I'm also not certain what the OP considers "red hot" as no temps are given and poking through his other posts didn't reveal any attempt to resolve the problem prior to this RAM block request.

Elpy
01-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Well atleast on my last PC which was still air cooled. I had some 1066mhz crucial ballistix ram and those ran freaking hot. It was the only part inside my PC that I could really burn finger with, and I did actually. So I dont think water on those would really hurt if you have the money for it :shrug:

TadZilla
01-28-2010, 09:54 AM
+1 to Elpy and coolmiester

The OP states that his RAM is running red hot. Granted, people have differing opinions on 'Red-Hot'. However, if the OP sees the need to watercool RAM and has the money that is his business. He asked where he could get the blocks.

I just received my MIPS Corsair edition block and it looks great. I haven't had a chance to test it yet though.

-TadZilla

Waterlogged
01-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Well atleast on my last PC which was still air cooled. I had some 1066mhz crucial ballistix ram and those ran freaking hot. It was the only part inside my PC that I could really burn finger with, and I did actually. So I dont think water on those would really hurt if you have the money for it :shrug:

. . .and that can be attributed to any number of factors including (but not limited to), not having a fan pointed at them, weak airflow through the case, poor airflow design (sitting in a hot spot), if OC'd-excessive volts, etc...

...oh, and it is possible to have 10 fans on a case and still have poor airflow. ;)

+1 to Elpy and coolmiester

The OP states that his RAM is running red hot. Granted, people have differing opinions on 'Red-Hot'. However, if the OP sees the need to watercool RAM and has the money that is his business. He asked where he could get the blocks.

I just received my MIPS Corsair edition block and it looks great. I haven't had a chance to test it yet though.

-TadZilla

Have you read the links I posted? Sounds like the OP doesn't have the money and is likely leeching money for their projects.

gmat
01-28-2010, 10:23 AM
. . .and that can be attributed to any number of factors including (but not limited to), not having a fan pointed at them, weak airflow through the case, poor airflow design (sitting in a hot spot), if OC'd-excessive volts, etc...
.. or OC'd watercooled and silent computer ;) silence = less fans, if we can eliminate 2/3 fast spinning fans (such as those on hot RAM modules usually) it's a lot better.

Spazloy
01-28-2010, 02:01 PM
right first off, Ram is Geil DDR3 (1gb atm but soon to be 4gb) 1066mhz, i want to Over clock it with my cpu however the reason i am making this post is that the temps are enough to burn myself on when its running stock speeds.

and yuh my case is going for silence and watercooling. which means no fast spinning fans and all fans are pushing air through a hot rad. so any passive cooling will not be enough.

Put it this way, the ram gets soo hot atm that it shuts down the pc so it doesnt damage it. Now thats a large problem.

and no im not "leeching money" im just 18 and earning slowly.

so yuh just need a cheap block avalible in the uk. And a large ATI sticker for the side of my case. and about my build log, havent updated it recently but ill get on it tomorrow. ive been at my other halfs for a while so not doing much.

anyway i hope that clears everything up.

oh and jsut for conformation. My motherboard is the Blackops (loverly board i must say) so would you be able to close that "Stealth Ruby" Build log coz thats evolved into my current one so has no relevence atm.

gmat
01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm afraid outside of MIPS you wont find anything decent or reliable out there ?
I think Corsair made a special WB for their dominator series, maybe that one is cheaper.. but most i've seen have aluminium, which is a big no-go.

Farmerbrown
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
here is a link for a web site where i got my ram cooler from....they are really cheap and good people....:)

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=9440&cat=1204&page=1

zanzabar
01-28-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm afraid outside of MIPS you wont find anything decent or reliable out there ?
I think Corsair made a special WB for their dominator series, maybe that one is cheaper.. but most i've seen have aluminium, which is a big no-go.

corsairs block is also aluminum

Waterlogged
01-28-2010, 09:55 PM
right first off, Ram is Geil DDR3 (1gb atm but soon to be 4gb) 1066mhz, i want to Over clock it with my cpu however the reason i am making this post is that the temps are enough to burn myself on when its running stock speeds.

and yuh my case is going for silence and watercooling. which means no fast spinning fans and all fans are pushing air through a hot rad. so any passive cooling will not be enough.

Put it this way, the ram gets soo hot atm that it shuts down the pc so it doesnt damage it. Now thats a large problem.

and no im not "leeching money" im just 18 and earning slowly.

so yuh just need a cheap block avalible in the uk. And a large ATI sticker for the side of my case. and about my build log, havent updated it recently but ill get on it tomorrow. ive been at my other halfs for a while so not doing much.

anyway i hope that clears everything up.

oh and jsut for conformation. My motherboard is the Blackops (loverly board i must say) so would you be able to close that "Stealth Ruby" Build log coz thats evolved into my current one so has no relevence atm.

Thanks for clearing some things up. :up:

If your interested in finding the actual cause and a remedy for the high temps instead of just slapping a block on them, let me know via PM because this will be the last time I come into this topic. . .and on that note I'll leave with a simple, but oh so true acronym that sounds to me like it wasn't done.

PPPPPP

:2cents:

PiLsY
01-29-2010, 12:38 AM
That ram should not be running that hot on that board at that speed. You have a problem somewhere dude :). Even a gentle breeze (corsair or ocz ram cooler @ 7v) is enough to cool DDR2 and DDR3 at pretty much any speed and voltage on desktop chipsets. Faulty board, faulty ram or ram voltages set WAY too high I'd say. As previously stated, outside of server boards ram should not and does not need watercooling.

Just so you know, the leeching money comment referred to pulling money from your other projects to spend on this ram block - I don't think it was intended in any other way :). FYI Waterlogged: "leeching" can be quite an offensive turn of phrase in the UK if not used carefully ;).