PDA

View Full Version : do hdmi cat1 cables do 1080p24 or just 1080i30 officially

zanzabar
01-24-2010, 12:24 AM
do hdmi cat1 cables do 1080p24 or just 1080i30 officially

i got a few from comcast and dont really want to buy a new cat2 for video playback from the pc. i know that cat1 and 2 have the same wire and pin configuration but that the cat2 are thicker and tested at much higher frequencies.

Serra
01-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Cat 1 will do 1080i60 officially. Cat 2 does 1080p60.

That said, I would wager that most cat 1 cables were created in factories where they don't test it to cat 2. For the most part in the cable industry a machine is set to make cables rated for ______ and they're only tested for that - so even if they exceed higher specs they'll only be rated at what they were built for. And a lot of padding is built in. The long and short of it is that typically you're good with minor jumps like this, it's just major redesigns that you won't be. That said if you want the peace of mind I wouldn't blame you for going out and getting something else.

zanzabar
01-24-2010, 08:48 PM
i was just woundering since i was getting pixel blocks with 1080p24, but i think that i got a bad cable from comcast since its a thin 10' cable and it only did 1080i30.

and what uses more bandwidth rgb or ycbcr

EniGmA1987
01-25-2010, 09:13 AM
ycbcr uses more bandwidth as it provides more colors.

But I suppose if you arent displaying any additional colors it should use the same bandwidth as the signal in RGB form? Im not really sure on that though.

Serra
01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
ycbcr uses more bandwidth as it provides more colors.

But I suppose if you arent displaying any additional colors it should use the same bandwidth as the signal in RGB form? Im not really sure on that though.

Keeping in mind that I definitely don't claim to have any real knowledge here, but I thought YCC was basically a way of compressing RGB signals and would, therefore, consume less bandwidth. I'm probably wrong about this, but I would be interested in seeing an explanation because a brief Google search just seems to net me a lot of calculations.