PDA

View Full Version : Power supply question

Otis11
01-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Ok... So sorry I missed the updates yesterday. I got banned from the internet by the university. Long story, but getting it fixed one step at a time.

But the question I had - I have an extra GTX 260 sitting next to me for the next week or so... I have a corsair 650, could I run it along side my current 260 or would it damage something?

If you don't think it could support it, what would be the potential consequences if I tried?

Thanks for all the help, and I should be back to normal in the next few days... But will only be on sparingly for the next while. :up:

INFRNL
01-23-2010, 09:08 PM
that psu will easily run 2 GTX 260's

Otis11
01-23-2010, 09:59 PM
So... I put it in and turned it on. It's up and running as I am typing on that system, but while starting up the screen blinked a few times and BOINC is refusing to run correctly... Possible PSU issues?

:shrug:

PoppaGeek
01-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Corsair 650 has 2 PCIE power plugs and each GTX 260 requires 2. How are you doing this?
I do not think the 650 can do it.

Otis11
01-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I have 2 Molex to PCIE adapters... And it's currently running. Screen blinks when I start GPUGrid but runs fine afterward.

In my mind it works because it has the ability to put in 2 8 pin PCIEs which can each put out 150W where the 6 pin only put out 75 iirc... So that's just like using both 8 pin correct?

Just want some second opinions... What's the worst that's going to happen if I leave it run like this for the next week or two?

Naja002
01-23-2010, 10:26 PM
W/o knowing the other specs of the rig it's actually pretty hard to guess. But, Yes, it should run it no problem. I ran my i7 920 @4.0 with 2 max OCed 8800GSs without an issue for months on a Corsair 550TX.

Both of the current Corsair 650s have a single 12v 52amp rail, so balancing should not be a problem.

The initial flashing was probably windows installing the driver for the 2nd card. After that I have no idea....:shrug:

The "worst" that could happen? Umm, probably not good at all. :D All I know is that Corsairs are solid psus and I ran the crap out of the 550TX for 6 months or more. It still works fine...I just upgraded the PSU with the ATI upgrade.

Otis11
01-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Ok sweet. It's up and running full blast. Just restarted it with no blinks - naja must have been right.

Thanks guys!

CaptMorgan
01-23-2010, 11:01 PM
First- no need to apologize for the lack of updates your always on the case:up: Second good luck with the new card and the PSU- I better get that other card of mine installed and running can't have you passing me:sonic:

PoppaGeek
01-23-2010, 11:38 PM
I don't know why i made such a blunt statement, I know better. Keep in mind I spent years in a production environment where a down server meant $$$$ per minute lost. I tend to be conservative.

I do not like to over stress my hardware. A PSU at 75%-85% 100% of the time AND some heat is stressed. Corsair is a good PSU, I have 3. It can probably handle the stress but no idea for how long. Since most people here push their hardware as much as they can I am sure I am in the minority. When summer comes I like my PSUs at 50%-60%. I live on Social Security and cannot afford to replace my hardware very often, hard enough to get it to begin with.

I hope it works ok for ya :up:but if ya can ya might might want to get a 750 come summer. Or not. :D

Otis11
01-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah, if I had this permanently I'd probably step up a PSU... But as I only have it for a week, two at best, I thought i'd try it.

And because of that, I don't think you have to worry Capt'... Sadly enough this burst is going to be short lived.

MikeB12
01-24-2010, 02:14 PM
I've been running 2 gts250's on a HX520 with a 3.3ghz Q6600. LOL! for a year.. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you load it down with hd's, fans, etc... or try to max oc it..