PDA

View Full Version : GTX 275 and some screen issues

Volcanicstrad37
01-23-2010, 12:12 PM
I have, for the last couple months, been experiencing an interesting issue. I do not know if it is monitor related of if it is a graphics card issue. Anyhow, my screen will go blank for about 2 seconds randomly and come right back on with no other problems, when it does this I get my typical box that says "dvi connected" or something like that on the screen once it comes back on. It has happened in both windows 7 and vista, and I cant seem to recreate the event it is very random. Unfortunately I do not have another monitor to hook up to see if the event occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JohnZS
01-24-2010, 10:57 AM
I have, for the last couple months, been experiencing an interesting issue. I do not know if it is monitor related of if it is a graphics card issue. Anyhow, my screen will go blank for about 2 seconds randomly and come right back on with no other problems, when it does this I get my typical box that says "dvi connected" or something like that on the screen once it comes back on. It has happened in both windows 7 and vista, and I cant seem to recreate the event it is very random. Unfortunately I do not have another monitor to hook up to see if the event occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What drivers are you using?
How hot does your graphics card get when this happens?
Have you tried running furmark (http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/) stability test?

It sounds like you might have an issue with your GPU. Do you get any odd graphical issues or stutters just before the black screening?
John

Volcanicstrad37
01-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Right now I am running Windows7 64-bit so I don't think that furmark supports it. At least not according to the download links all saying 32 bit. I have not noticed any heat issues when this happens as it is so random. I may just be surfing the web and such and it will flick off real quick. I am using the 196.21 NVidia driver. I have ran 3dmark Vantage recently and didn't seem to have any issues, I'll have to find my scores and see if they were where they should be.

JohnZS
01-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Have you checked your DVI cable is not lose?
Furmark runs fine on Windows 7 64bt, I think the link means that they .exe is 32bit application as opposed to a 64bit build.
John

Volcanicstrad37
01-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Yeah I double checked the monitor connection and it was fine. Also, I have been toying with the furmark for the past 30 minutes or so and have no problems. I'm still puzzled...I'm beginning to think it is a monitor issue after messing with the (damn just happened again) graphics card.

JohnZS
01-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Indeed it could be the monitor, I had an old CRT that used to do that randomly. Only way to be sure is to test it on another system and to see if the problem persists.
John

Volcanicstrad37
01-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Looks like that it the thing to try. Unfortunately the only other system I have around is my brother old pc from 2004...

JohnZS
01-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Looks like that it the thing to try. Unfortunately the only other system I have around is my brother old pc from 2004...

It's worth a shot after all it would eliminate the monitor from the equation if the problem did not persist :)
Are you able to use the same form of connectivity, for example DVI?
John

Volcanicstrad37
01-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I'll be using a VGA to DVI converter so I can use the same port on my monitor.

Volcanicstrad37
01-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Ok. well after more playing around I was not able to recreate the screen flashes with the other computer hooked up. Also my rig specs are in the sig and I went ahead and ran Futuremark Vantage on "Extreme" because it matched my resolution. I scored a x1670 with a gpu score of 1591.....something is wrong.. I did a Basic 3dmark06 run (free version) and got 4402. That is way too low for what I am running. Again the CPU score was nice and high, where I expect it to be but the gpu was at 3450. Is it RMA time? I would hate to be without a card for a couple weeks, and I gave my 4850 to my brother for his new build....bad move.

JohnZS
01-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I am not sure what a GTX 275 should get in 3dmark Vantage Xtreme settings.
Performance wise I think around 12K should be right? (for overal with Physx enabled) as my GTX 280 used to get around 14500.
GPU score around 8000? maybe 1000?
This is P settings as I have not ran Xtreme settings due to not having a working graphics card. (mine is currently in a protracted RMA process)
John