PDA

View Full Version : P5B-Deluxe very very weird problems

Jimbwlah
01-20-2010, 07:11 AM
I'm desparate for some help here, could anyone give me any ideas?

... So I've been running the rig in my signature for about 2 years now without any issues, its been solid as a rock until recently. I started getting issues when turning it on, it would not post the BIOS but hang like it had a bad overclock. Flipping the power switch on the PSU until the LED's went out, then powering it up again forced the BIOS to reset and go to default values. If I let it boot correctly and then reset it, it would then happily reset and boot at 3.6GHz.

So I had a play with the bios and to no avail, it would always do this, even on the standard setting with all bios settings reset to normal. As I continued to live with this the computer developed a new problem where it randomly cuts off during operation and instantly I thought, "right I have a power supply issue here". This was 3 days ago, last night, the computer refused to boot at all, the power led is on but when you attempt to boot, the motherboard starts to boot but in literally under a second, cuts off. Trying 4 power supplies, they all do the same thing, and my one has been tested in another computer and works fine.

It sounded like a short to me so I've cleaned the whole motherboard with Ispropanol and was able to get it to boot with 4 sticks of ram, processor and graphics card but as soon as I plugged in any other PCI device or PCI-E device, it refuses to boot. Now, it wont boot at all with the initial setup I had working.

Has anyone got any ideas at all? I've replaced the battery, tried it with one stick of tested ram in all 4 slots, cleared the CMOS and I'm getting no consistency in faults. Dead motherboard?

Cheers

graysky
01-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Replace it. The P5B sucks... mine just went bad. No POST, just fans.

In-Fluence
01-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Your CPU or northbridge temps could be too high, this is a common cause for shutdowns. I assume you've remounted the NB sink as well?
Check your loop is running ok (mine used to shut off because the pump stopped due to a loose connection, causing the CPU to quickly reach 100°C and cut out).
If all that is ok, then your board is likely to be the culprit.

My P5B deluxe served me well for a few years, but overclocking quads is always more of a strain on the motherboard's power regulators. Mine always ran quite toasty.