PDA

View Full Version : Custom wood case - Concept stage

Xander
01-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Hi. I've been on here before but I haven't posted in ages... too many computer repairs to do.

Right I've recently moved back to air cooling after my third watercooling leak (still not sure what gave out but it cost me a graphics card and a sound card so I'm sticking with air until I've more disposable income to replace parts!!). Now I'm bored. I figure I've got some wood and CAD skills so why nto make myself a case to satisfy all my requirements.

1. To me a case should keep everything quiet. Hence I intend to use like 1/2" thick MDF for most of the infrastructure... and perhaps sound proof it further.
2. It needs to keep everything cold, not just kinda cold but as good as I can get it without making a sound.
3. It needs to be different. I want to try something that the common case builders haven't tried.
4. It needs to be cheap. I'm hoping to spend close to nothing on all of this though I know I'm going to need things like a harder wearing wood veneer and some paint.

So you guys know well everything about PCs so I thought I'd toss a few ideas into the mix and see what you think before modelling it all up.

What about positioning the drives perpendicular to the motherboard? I tend to have my case side on to me under the desk and I'm fed up with reaching around to the CD drive and power buttons.

While I'm at it what about cooling the case not front to back like common cases but side to side?

What I'm thinking is with a big fan mounted next to the side on optical drives and some vent arrangement behind the motherboard and possibly above it I could end up with being able to push air through all the coolers on the motherboard and then drag the air out behind it making sure that the air has to pass over all the components before exiting the case. Wouldn't that ensure there's no dead spots?

Now that wouldn't be my only challenge to current thinking. I'm thinking of mounting the PSU side on behind the motherboard (a bit like the Tt Mozart) if for nothing else than keeping all the cables out of the way and also making the optical drive and fan controller disappear behind a soundproofed panel so that once a CD is in the drive I don't get that annoying whir all the time.

What do you think?