PDA

View Full Version : Bootable Memtest CDROM

bigpoppa
12-12-2003, 01:06 PM
Well i just cant seem to get this done right. Nowhere on the memtest site, or any other site for that matter, does it tell you a step by step on how to do this. I think you have to DL the ISO img file as well as the client. If anyone has done this, please let me know what im doing wrong

IFMU
12-12-2003, 05:32 PM
This link is a direct link to the zip file that has the ISO. (http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.0.iso.zip)
Unzip this (which is an ISO inside), burn it to a CD, it will be bootable by default and run it by booting to it.

Not sure if thats what your looking for?

sjohnson
12-12-2003, 06:14 PM
An ISO is an image of every bit of data on a CD. So, once you get the ISO extracted you need to tell your CD burner to burn as image.

Choose the ISO as the image and burn.

bigpoppa
12-19-2003, 04:04 PM
when i save that zip file then extract, it extracts a folder called memtest86-3.0.iso and another zip file is in that folder called memtest86-3.0. when i extract that i get a folder labled memtes86-3.0 and in the folder is another folder labled "BOOT" and in there, 3 files. The first is labled "BOOT"(which is a security catalog file type), the second is labled "MEMTEST"(which is a BIN file), and the last file inthe "BOOT" folder is called MEMTEST.IMG(which is an IMG file).

ok, so what do i burn.. any ideas?
theres not an actual file that is an ISO. There is a Zip File that is labled Memtest86-3.0.ISO , but its a zip file, not an ISO. so......

sjohnson
12-19-2003, 05:01 PM
I get the iso image from http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.0.iso.zip

Inside that zip file is a file named memtest86-3.0.iso

Extract that file to disk and burn it as an image using your CD burn program.

bigpoppa
12-19-2003, 05:22 PM
ok, dude, look.... youre right, there is a file name memtest86-3.0.iso that unzips from that file from that link. but it is a FOLDER. and in that FOLDER, is another zip file. So youre saying burn that folder named "memtest86-3.0.iso" with another zip file in it? doesnt seem like burning a folder with a zip file in it works, mayube im wrong

IFMU
12-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by bigpoppa
when i save that zip file then extract, it extracts a folder called memtest86-3.0.iso and another zip file is in that folder called memtest86-3.0.

That is exactly what you need to burn. I am going to presume you have some sort of different zipping program if I am right it is winrar right? If so then iso's can be unzipped. However you dont need to do this.

With the part in your post I italizied you open nero (or whatever program) and burn that. It will burn everything that is inside that iso and put it onto the CD and make it bootable.

sjohnson
12-19-2003, 06:33 PM
What the DA sez ;)

bigpoppa
12-19-2003, 06:34 PM
wow this is gay. ive burned like 5 different things and nothing is working. how about someone try to do this themselves and then let me know what you did. Im using winRAR and Nero6 to burn.

sjohnson
12-19-2003, 06:44 PM
If winrar is extracting the iso file to a folder, you'll have to turn that option off. Winrar *has* to extract it as a file named memtest86-3.0.iso - a folder doesn't have the boot block nor any of the structure of the CD.

No winrar here, no $$ for buying it. I'm using Ultimate Zip, free and does rar to boot. http://www.ultimatezip.com/

bigpoppa
12-19-2003, 07:02 PM
ok i have since deleted winrar, and installed ultimate zip. i now extracted the file and on my desktop it gave me just a plain file(like it shud be) called "memtest86-3.0.iso". What from here?

Karnivore
12-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Just download WinZip (http://www.winzip.com/linkfpp.cgi) and install it, save yourself confusion, WinRar is opening the .ISO file as others have said. Once winzip is installed just extract it, burn image in Nero, it WILL be a .iso...

If you don't want to install winzip just open WinRar, choose options/settings, an un-tick the ISO association per screenie. Then unpack the archive to where ever and burn the .ISO with nero...

sjohnson
12-19-2003, 07:17 PM
In Nero (not Nero Express or any other way), but the Nero interface -

in the main interface (titled "Nero Burning ROM"), click on File->Open

Browse within Nero to the folder containing memtest86-3.0.iso

Change "Files of type:" to "Image Files [*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue]"

Double-click on memtest86-3.0.iso, make sure "Write" and "Finalize CD" are selected, and burn.

Karnivore
12-19-2003, 07:20 PM
What SJohnson said, sorry for the redundant post, your sucess came as i was editing screenie..

bigpoppa
12-19-2003, 08:34 PM
w00t

sjohnson
12-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by bigpoppa
w00t I take that to mean your quest is over? :toast:

Tedinde
12-19-2003, 08:50 PM
I used nero to make a bootable CD from floppy.