PDA

View Full Version : Four 1080p 3D capable displays so far!

Blacky
01-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Like most of us noticed on this year CES, was all about 3D! and this year we have a good start with many companies making efforts to finally push 120hz's displays to HD resolution (1080p for now) we start with:

Alienware OptX AW2310 (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8846) available now!
Acer GD245HQ (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222) is available now!
LG W2363D (http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1263213057) ETA Q2 no word on pricing.
ViewSonic V3D241wm (http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1263457115) ETA Q2 no word on pricing.

So far the viewsonic looks interesting is the only one from the group with LED also Samsung is about to announce their next HD 120hz display as well but theres isn't any details yet! I hope this could help for those looking for other options on 3D displays!

BobyTT
01-14-2010, 03:44 PM
I think ill get the Viewsonic when its up for sale...

AndrewZorn
01-14-2010, 03:58 PM
all TN im sure...
which i used to think was worrying too much, but after owning two, i believe i am done with TN.
if nothing else, large display + bad viewing angles = discolored corners and edges

RPGWiZaRD
01-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Yea I've been following this progress of 120Hz LCDs for quite a while now and was gonna post about these LCDs but you were faster! :D

I think the ViewSonic may perhaps a slight edge in my interest due to LED backlit as my current VX2268wm 120Hz suffers from excessive BLB which I'd rather not have. Then again the LG one also sounds very promissing with this Thru-mode designed to minimize input lag. The Alienware 23" is too expensive to be worth concidering IMO (like $100 more compared to what Acer will cost and Acer is 23.6" but it lacks usb hub + height and swivel adjustments) and I don't have much faith in Acer although reviews tells it should be good in all categories except input lag whit its 50ms max input lag which is a bit too high for me. Hope IPS + 120Hz will be the next step after 120Hz + LED. :D

I'm like a kid at Xmas when hearing news about new 120Hz LCDs. :D Had to buy both 2233rz and VX2268wm to decide which was better for me and ended up with the ViewSonic. Both got their major problems tho, 2233rz suffers from xtremely blue dominated color tint and somewhat oversaturated colors and the stand is very low and crappy. But it's got very great contrast ratio for a tn panel ~950 according to digitalversus and there's very little BLB. ViewSonic got horrible black levels and backlight bleed and contrast isn't the very best for today's standards (769~808 according to digitalversus altho rated as 1000:1 static and 20.000 dynamic just like the Samsung 2233rz) but its colors are really balanced for a TN panel and it's performance like ghosting and input lag is very low and the stand is quite high which I like. The construction isn't the very most sturdy construction ever tho and stand is also wiggling quite a lot like with 2233rz and I'm glad to see the upcoming LED 120Hz from ViewSonic has a lot more sturdy looking design.

YukonTrooper
01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
I have a 2233rz on order (couldn't pass up NCIX's sale price) that should be here tomorrow or early next week. I'm coming from a 24" @ 1920X1200, so it'll be a bit tough with the size transition, but I'm sure 120Hz will win me over in gaming. Although it's a TN panel, the measured contrast is higher than the measured contrast on my L245WP-BN, which sports a P-MVA panel. However, this is expected, considering the 2233rz is fairly new, while the L245WP-BN is a few years old now. There is definitely a blue RGB bias but I can completely calibrate that away with my i1. TN technology has come a long way, you just need to know which model of monitor to buy.

I'll DEFINITELY be grabbing one of the 24" variants when the dust has settled from the reviews. Maybe a Fermi card to power 120FPS @ 1920X1080 as well. :D

Blacky
01-14-2010, 04:45 PM
all TN im sure...
which i used to think was worrying too much, but after owning two, i believe i am done with TN.
if nothing else, large display + bad viewing angles = discolored corners and edges

Yeah they are all TN, obviously these products are intended for gaming IPS are not (though some could be very good for gaming as well) and probably are the most affordable options for 3D surround setups for gaming, however I don't expect a IPS 120hz less than $700 judging by current regular prices $500>

Yea I've been following this progress of 120Hz LCDs for quite a while now and was gonna post about these LCDs but you were faster! :D

I think the ViewSonic may perhaps a slight edge in my interest due to LED backlit as my current VX2268wm 120Hz suffers from excessive BLB which I'd rather not have. Then again the LG one also sounds very promissing with this Thru-mode designed to minimize input lag. The Alienware 23" is too expensive to be worth concidering IMO (like $100 more compared to what Acer will cost and Acer is 23.6" but it lacks usb hub + height and swivel adjustments) and I don't have much faith in Acer although reviews tells it should be good in all categories except input lag whit its 50ms max input lag which is a bit too high for me. Hope IPS + 120Hz will be the next step after 120Hz + LED. :D

I'm like a kid at Xmas when hearing news about new 120Hz LCDs. :D Had to buy both 2233rz and VX2268wm to decide which was better for me and ended up with the ViewSonic. Both got their major problems tho, 2233rz suffers from xtremely blue dominated color tint and somewhat oversaturated colors and the stand is very low and crappy. But it's got very great contrast ratio for a tn panel ~950 according to digitalversus and there's very little BLB. ViewSonic got horrible black levels and backlight bleed and contrast isn't the very best for today's standards (769~808 according to digitalversus altho rated as 1000:1 static and 20.000 dynamic just like the Samsung 2233rz) but its colors are really balanced for a TN panel and it's performance like ghosting and input lag is very low and the stand is quite high which I like. The construction isn't the very most sturdy construction ever tho and stand is also wiggling quite a lot like with 2233rz and I'm glad to see the upcoming LED 120Hz from ViewSonic has a lot more sturdy looking design.

Lets hope viewsonic can come with a competitive price (<$500) vs other displays!

AndrewZorn
01-14-2010, 08:37 PM
just to make something clear, i think the "gaming" thing (whether it be response time or input lag) has gone way too far.

which do you think is more important for gaming (not "highly competitive counter strike"): beautiful images, rich blacks, accurate representation of color, good viewing angles (not just for 'angles', but on a screen that big, even the edges get distorted)? or less ghosting (though i rarely saw it on my 12ms 2405fpw) (as if recent marketing tricks in that regard dont completely inflate TNs superiority anyway) and usually unnoticeable input lag (which can exist on any monitor)?

it isnt separated into "photography experts on macs" and "PRO UBERL337 GAYMERS"... a good monitor is a good monitor. specific situations are not as clear-cut as they are made out to be. TN has a couple of slight advantages... but not enough to say it is better than a quality IPS panel (with a few very distant exceptions, like HIGHLY competitive games, as in, career-level)

RPGWiZaRD
01-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Well the 120Hz LCDs are the first LCDs I can use without wanting to go back to CRTs, I was using a 19" trinitron CRT until I got this VX2268wm 120Hz in late 2009. After getting used to 100Hz gaming on CRT, 60/75Hz just doesn't feel right and I don't wanna have to adjust to something worse. It's the smooth movements / feeling that's important to me, whatever that's playing online or offline in FPS games or racing games etc, I just want the games to run as smoothly as possible and there is a huge difference between 60Hz / FPS and 120Hz / FPS! For me it doesn't matter how great it looks if the feeling isn't great too, a game can look how beautiful as possible but that doesn't make it feel realistic unless the feeling also is. 120Hz corresponds much more to realistic movements of any kind than 60Hz.

AndrewZorn
01-15-2010, 10:22 AM
well gee, i must be imagining the whole thing, along with everybody else. TN is totally gametastic!

rich blacks are a comparison to a TN panel's blacks (since i was making a comparison to TN panels, see?)

AndrewZorn
01-15-2010, 12:46 PM
right, so a super high quality one would have good blacks for an LCD. it is unreasonable to say otherwise.

i wasnt referring to you with the TN comment. there just seems to be a general belief that
TN = FAST! so it is good for gaming
IPS/*VA = SLOOOWWWW only good for artists!
whereas the difference in speed is not that much - but the difference in quality is great.

Blacky
01-15-2010, 12:49 PM
current inexpensive IPS (NEC 23", Dell U2410 etc.) are suffering from color uniformity and others from tint (lotery), and dithering issues as well, at this point spending more than $500 with these kind of issues would be a bad idea, until these issues get fixed imo.

zanzabar
01-15-2010, 12:49 PM
tn isnt that fast over ips u can have 4ms or lower ips panels, the PVA/MVA are slow though and the pannels cost more than ips for the same quality image so they are being phased out. even dell quit/is not updating the pva stuff

current inexpensive IPS (NEC 23", Dell U2410 etc.) are suffering from color uniformity and others from tint (lotery), and dithering issues as well, at this point spending more than $500 with these kind of issues would be a bad idea, until these issues get fixed imo.

is that why the new panels are out in a few months were normally they are out right affter ces

Blacky
01-15-2010, 01:03 PM
is that why the new panels are out in a few months were normally they are out right affter ces

hopefully :yepp: NEC is coming a new line as well hehe

RPGWiZaRD
01-15-2010, 04:14 PM
About the different panels, hope you don't stare too much into the manufacturer specs as they don't even tell how they are measured:

Here's an idea of how the different technologies stand up:

* 5 ms TN: 1.1 colour frame, 0.5 transparent frames (for example: Iiyama Prolite E2208HDS)

* 6 ms e-IPS: 0.4 colour frames, 0.35 transparent frames (for example: Dell 2209WA)
* Average 2 ms TN: 0.8 colour frames, 0.5 transparent frames (for example: Samsung T220)
* 8 ms C-PVA 8: 0.95 colour frames, 0.2 transparent frames (for example: Samsung F2380)
* The best 2 ms TN 2 (not including 120 Hz): 0.35 colour frames, 0.5 transparent frames (the Samsung 2253BW).

Taken from Acer GD245HQ 120Hz review http://www.digitalversus.com/article-357-7352-38.html

According to that Dell 2209WA e-IPS is about same as fast 2ms 60Hz TN panels when it comes to ghosting. Not to mention the 75Hz support, makes it a good gaming monitor for any1 with it's also VERY low input lag ~8ms avg and doesn't need the 75Hz+ which I do unfortunately otherwise I would have been all over it.

With the above I'm just saying IPS is ready to benefit from that 120Hz (not to mention the 120Hz in LCDs seems to cut ghosting in half according to digitalversus' tests of 2233rz, vx2268wm and acer gd245hq), it's just something the manufacturers wouldn't think there would be any market for that kinda displays today I suppose and they would be quite costly as well.

AndrewZorn
01-15-2010, 04:16 PM
what is wrong with vsync at 60hz? im a big believer myself...

EDIT and that is exactly what i am saying with the response times, the difference is not that big, and the gap gets even smaller when you use real numbers. dell has historically not faked their info, but cheaper companies have the most fake info.

STEvil
01-16-2010, 12:13 AM
engine programming

AndrewZorn
01-16-2010, 10:17 AM
utterly unplayable? doesnt it just set the max FPS to 60hz, which IS good enough for pretty much everyone? i could see if they just had a terrible engine that didnt do it right, but under normal circumstances...

i was referring to this statement

A refresh rate of 120Hz (in fact anything from 85Hz up) would allow you to enable V-Sync without any significant additional input lag. V-Sync can improve your gaming experience substantially, because not only does it resove screen tearing, it also provides smooth motion that is impossible to gain otherwise.
why would vsync at 60hz have input lag, and vsync at 120hz have no input lag? i dont see the logic.

AndrewZorn
01-17-2010, 01:27 PM
i dont either.
maybe it is just like, on a 120hz display, 120hz+vsync has less lag than 60hz+vsync because of [the incredibly simple] adding of frames [if that even needs to happen]?
i just cannot imagine a technical reason why 120hz display would have less input lag than a 60hz display, all else being equal. youd think the 120hz display would have more 'overhead' and thus worse lag.

AndrewZorn
01-17-2010, 01:31 PM
i dont either.
maybe it is just like, on a 120hz display, 120hz+vsync has less lag than 60hz+vsync because of [the incredibly simple] adding of frames [if that even needs to happen]?
i just cannot imagine a technical reason why 120hz display would have less input lag than a 60hz display, all else being equal. youd think the 120hz display would have more 'overhead' and thus worse lag.

Bodkin
01-18-2010, 07:36 AM
I am just looking foward to full hd 3d, hope ati comes out with a solution. Il get the acer if the reviews dont slam it to much, cant wait for an in depth one

One_Hertz
01-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Ordered the Alienware. The Acer looked good too, but it is a bit less bright and I really like brighter monitors...

STEvil
01-18-2010, 06:38 PM
the alienware is an acer going by the previous marketing..

Bodkin
01-19-2010, 12:20 AM
^ wells its specs say its brighter, has a wider colour garmut and has 3ms response time instead of 2

Serpentarius
01-19-2010, 12:34 AM
could someone explain how a 3D tv works?

built-in image splitter?

gillll
01-19-2010, 12:42 AM
i hope that 3d games will take another direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

using the wii remote to make 3d without glasses
this is awesome !

AndrewZorn
01-19-2010, 02:52 AM
could someone explain how a 3D tv works?

built-in image splitter?
same way your 'old' TV makes a 3D image. they all require glasses. the whole thing is an epic scam, and people are just eating it up.

Jamesrt2004
01-19-2010, 05:40 AM
same way your 'old' TV makes a 3D image. they all require glasses. the whole thing is an epic scam, and people are just eating it up.

not all require glasses

One_Hertz
01-19-2010, 06:13 AM
^ wells its specs say its brighter, has a wider colour garmut and has 3ms response time instead of 2

Yeah I bought the Alienware based on those differences, however due to the differences in measuring standards between manufacturers it may very well be that the screens are identical and I wasted $100. We'll see I guess.

Yep, there is nothing special about 3D displays others than the refresh rate... 90% of the reason I bought one is so I could run 120hz and turn on vsync with my 5870 CF. 60hz + vsync = unplayable for me (lag) and no vsync + CF is also lame because of microstutter.

AndrewZorn
01-19-2010, 06:48 AM
not all require glasses
i must be missing something...

Yep, there is nothing special about 3D displays others than the refresh rate... 90% of the reason I bought one is so I could run 120hz and turn on vsync with my 5870 CF. 60hz + vsync = unplayable for me (lag) and no vsync + CF is also lame because of microstutter.
yeah, but that is just a 120hz, not a '3D' display. 60hz displays have been doing 3D for years. i really want a 120hz display myself, but i want an IPS display more, so that will be what i buy in the next month.

is 60hz really 'unplayable'? and what do you mean by lag? you know if you cant get 120fps+ that vsync at 120hz will just do the exact same thing as vsync at 60hz...

One_Hertz
01-19-2010, 07:13 AM
is 60hz really 'unplayable'? and what do you mean by lag? you know if you cant get 120fps+ that vsync at 120hz will just do the exact same thing as vsync at 60hz...

60fps is too little for FPS games + the extra input lag from Vsync makes it a really bad experience for me. I can't aim at all unless it is perfectly snappy.

Vsync at 120hz will allow for more than 60fps? At least that was my understanding. And can I not set the refresh rate to whatever I like? For example 85hz? Am I super confused?

gillll
01-19-2010, 07:27 AM
60fps is too little ? it's very very good.

Bodkin
01-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah I bought the Alienware based on those differences, however due to the differences in measuring standards between manufacturers it may very well be that the screens are identical and I wasted $100. We'll see I guess.

Not wasted at all my friend, you get the vastly superior dell warranty. If your screen breaks, they bring a new one to your door, plus the stand is much better and you get a usb hub :P

STEvil
01-19-2010, 05:26 PM
yeah, but that is just a 120hz, not a '3D' display. 60hz displays have been doing 3D for years. i really want a 120hz display myself, but i want an IPS display more, so that will be what i buy in the next month.

120hz is required for 3D without active polarization lenses... unless you have DLP.

60hz + vsync causes extra input latency. Some people can feel it, some cant. Some people have systems with a lot of latency already and that makes them feel it, others dont and that is why they dont. Also some people are just more sensitive and some gaming engines are more sensitive to it.

Its a balancing act.. and would make a killer write-up.

Blacky
01-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Ordered the Alienware. The Acer looked good too, but it is a bit less bright and I really like brighter monitors...

but can that justified the almost $100 more than acers??

EDIT: Also could anyone found reviews about AW display? trying to find one at least, but there isn't any yet seems :/

One_Hertz
01-19-2010, 08:02 PM
but can that justified the almost $100 more than acers??

EDIT: Also could anyone found reviews about AW display? trying to find one at least, but there isn't any yet seems :/

That, the ease of RMA, no retarded looking orange stand, and the zero dead pixel policy is worth $100 to me.

STEvil
01-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Hope the RMA works... They wouldnt take my laptop or its GPU back.

Bodkin
01-20-2010, 12:21 AM
^ I have send my old 2408wfp back 3 or 4 times for tiny little things like standby issues and they have done it the day after I ring them. Might just be dell uk though

AndrewZorn
01-20-2010, 11:11 AM
120hz is required for 3D without active polarization lenses... unless you have DLP.

60hz + vsync causes extra input latency. Some people can feel it, some cant. Some people have systems with a lot of latency already and that makes them feel it, others dont and that is why they dont. Also some people are just more sensitive and some gaming engines are more sensitive to it.

Its a balancing act.. and would make a killer write-up.
why does 120hz change anything? to get 60fps 3D, yes, but you should be able to use exiting 60hz technology to get 3D at 30fps (again, like we have been... has all the CES mumbo jumbo made everyone forget that 3D has been around?)... plenty for TV and movies, which is what they are currently marketing it for... the whole thing seems excessive.

and yeah, but im saying 120hz is not immune to that lag. it is the same process, just at 120hz/120fps, it will not eliminate the input lag just because it is higher...

One_Hertz
01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
why does 120hz change anything? to get 60fps 3D, yes, but you should be able to use exiting 60hz technology to get 3D at 30fps (again, like we have been... has all the CES mumbo jumbo made everyone forget that 3D has been around?)... plenty for TV and movies, which is what they are currently marketing it for... the whole thing seems excessive.

and yeah, but im saying 120hz is not immune to that lag. it is the same process, just at 120hz/120fps, it will not eliminate the input lag just because it is higher...

You can't really eliminate input lag; you can only make it better. And 120fps/120hz is better than the same screen at 60/60.

Frag Maniac
01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Well I'm in the situation of needing a display for multipurpose use to replace the clutter of my current monitor + HDTV setup, both of which are CRT. I will need to do this by the time I build my new gaming rig, sometime shortly after Nvidia launches their 300 series GPUs. I use my PC for games, movies, TV, internet, etc. I have seen how bad movies look on 6 bit TNs. Can't say I like the color shifting either. Whenever I setup a new TN display for a friend that's bought one, I can see the RGB hues change just from looking at the Nvidia Display Wizard RGB sliders from the adjacent slider, vs straight on with each slider. I have to put my head in 3 different positions just to use that tool with a TN.

What's limiting IPS/e-IPS production is the economy more so than any gamer's phobias about input lag or response time. IPS was having a hey day and increasing rapidly in popularity and sales with units such as DoubleSight's 26" (25.5 actual) IPS with less than one frame input lag, until the economy took a dive. Even though they have proven they can make e-IPS at an affordable price range, it still takes panel manufacturers committing to mass production of raw IPS panels before monitor manufacturers can opt to offer such products. The problem is not so much in getting the word out about e-IPS, it's that there isn't many people in niches of the market other than gaming that want such a thing, like pro photographers and such. The pro photo guys would rather have a full on 30" IPS that isn't detuned.

However, there certainly are those whom assume from the ads and talk they're seeing/hearing that TNs are the best way to go if gaming is your primary use, and that seems to be limiting IPS production too. There are some common misconceptions regarding the lofty dynamic contrast ratio and response times claims. In reality, the average LCD display operating at around 60Hz refreshes at 8ms, so any response time drastically below that is not necessarily going to look any different than something just below it. And a whopping contrast ratio on a TN generally means a preset that makes the color accuracy go WAY south.

As for my choices, they are hard to make for multipurpose use, even more so now with limited production. I often think I'd be best off with something like a Sony 32" KDL-32XBR9 HDTV than any of the monitors I've seen lately. At least all TVs are SPVA or better with 8 bit and higher color depth. Some, like the Panasonic Vieras are IPS, though they don't make a 1080p 32". Sonys and Pannys have very low input lag though, so they're the main two brands I've looked at. As for aspect ratio, I've been wanting something 16:9 for some time due to the wider FOV and resulting added peripheral content you get over 16:10, along with slim or no black bars on movies, but I have found recently there is one tradeoff I wasn't aware of.

I realized in playing DiRT 2 that if I set my CRT to 1280x720, which it can handle without image distortion once I size the image and aspect ratio accordingly, the close behind view I use for racing looks like far behind and makes it harder to control the car. Wider aspect ratios use higher, wider FOVs. It's fine, in fact a benefit in some situations, but a tradeoff in others. However I plan to eventually get a good wheel/pedal set and maybe race in driver or custom (roof) camera view after building my new rig and there's always the FOV hack option if I want to stick with close behind.

Blacky
01-20-2010, 07:31 PM

could you do a mini-review once you get it :)?

One_Hertz
01-20-2010, 07:58 PM
could you do a mini-review once you get it :)?

I don't know an awful lot about LCDs. I can say if I like it or not and I can do any tests people give me. I have the spyder 3 express for colour calibration.

According to dell the monitor was shipped out yesterday, but it went out from the US so I am not sure when I get it.

One_Hertz
01-22-2010, 07:02 PM
So I got the screen today. A few notes:

1) The buttons are VERY cool.
2) The response time and input lag are quite good.
3) The viewing angles are awful. Side to side isn't too horrid, but if you look up on it, or down on it even by 5-10 degrees, the colours start to get messed up. In other words, if I want to sit on my knee(s) instead of my ass I have to adjust the screen, which is very annoying.
4) Out of the box, the colours are quite bleak and the display shows a tiny bit too much green. These things are fixed if you have a hardware calibrator.
5) 120hz is GREAT! Even the mouse movement in desktop is smoother.
6) The monitor is much too bright, even for my tastes. I had to turn down brightness to 20 and it is still a bit much.

YukonTrooper
01-22-2010, 07:45 PM

3) The viewing angles are awful. Side to side isn't too horrid, but if you look up on it, or down on it even by 5-10 degrees, the colours start to get messed up. In other words, if I want to sit on my knee(s) instead of my ass I have to adjust the screen, which is very annoying.
4) Out of the box, the colours are quite bleak and the display shows a tiny bit too much green. These things are fixed if you have a hardware calibrator.
6) The monitor is much too bright, even for my tastes. I had to turn down brightness to 20 and it is still a bit much.
How is the contrast? Have you actually calibrated with hardware? What is the backlight bleed like? That's the one glaring issue I have with my 2233rz, which I'm thinking of returning and getting one of the 1920X1080 displays when they're all available and full reviews are out. It's going to be SO hard going back to 60Hz while I wait, though.

One_Hertz
01-22-2010, 07:59 PM
How is the contrast? Have you actually calibrated with hardware? What is the backlight bleed like? That's the one glaring issue I have with my 2233rz, which I'm thinking of returning and getting one of the 1920X1080 displays when they're all available and full reviews are out. It's going to be SO hard going back to 60Hz while I wait, though.

Contrast is nothing special. Not too bad not too good.

Yes, I calibrated with spyder 3 express. I was not thrilled with how the screen looked before calibration at all. Everything looked washed out.

Backlight bleed is OK. I do notice a little at the very top of the screen with a pure black background, but not at the bottom oddly enough.

The biggest problem with this screen for me is definitely the viewing angles.

YukonTrooper
01-22-2010, 08:45 PM
The biggest problem with this screen for me is definitely the viewing angles.
Yes, the vertical viewing angles on TN panels kill a part inside of me. Do you notice any shift from top-to-bottom or left-to-right when looking at the screen head-on?

One_Hertz
01-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Yes, the vertical viewing angles on TN panels kill a part inside of me. Do you notice any shift from top-to-bottom or left-to-right when looking at the screen head-on?

head-on - no. I will check this some more today and edit this post if I do notice anything.

Bodkin
01-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Just ordered my acer, would have got the alienware, but it dosnt seem to be happaning in the uk

PaganII
01-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Frag Maniac - Panasonic indeed makes a 32" 1080p TC-L32S1
And a couple of 37s TC-L37G1 120HZ
TC-L37S1

STEvil
01-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Frag Maniac - Panasonic indeed makes a 32" 1080p TC-L32S1
And a couple of 37s TC-L37G1 120HZ
TC-L37S1

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/images/Content/hpq12_image02.jpg

INTERPOLATED IMAGES != 120hz :shakes:

STaRGaZeR
01-23-2010, 05:55 PM

I've been 1 month using a crappy 60Hz laptop after being 6 months with the 2233RZ. It's HARD, I can tell you that. Let's hope that ViewSonic with LEDs doesn't disappoint.

Blacky
01-23-2010, 07:10 PM

On the viewing angles part, do you think could be affected by a setup like this (http://i46.tinypic.com/2s635s7.jpg)?

One_Hertz
01-23-2010, 07:35 PM
On the viewing angles part, do you think could be affected by a setup like this (http://i46.tinypic.com/2s635s7.jpg)?

No because each screen is facing you almost directly.

edit: second thought, the side screens will probably start to look a little yellow.

Blacky
01-30-2010, 04:39 AM
Acer's (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=243225&page=3) 120hz display its available at newegg for $400!

YukonTrooper
01-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Acer's (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=243225&page=3) 120hz display its available at newegg for $400!
If you meant to link to Newegg, you ended up linking right back to this page. :)

LinusTech
01-30-2010, 12:11 PM
just to make something clear, i think the "gaming" thing (whether it be response time or input lag) has gone way too far.

which do you think is more important for gaming (not "highly competitive counter strike"): beautiful images, rich blacks, accurate representation of color, good viewing angles (not just for 'angles', but on a screen that big, even the edges get distorted)? or less ghosting (though i rarely saw it on my 12ms 2405fpw) (as if recent marketing tricks in that regard dont completely inflate TNs superiority anyway) and usually unnoticeable input lag (which can exist on any monitor)?

it isnt separated into "photography experts on macs" and "PRO UBERL337 GAYMERS"... a good monitor is a good monitor. specific situations are not as clear-cut as they are made out to be. TN has a couple of slight advantages... but not enough to say it is better than a quality IPS panel (with a few very distant exceptions, like HIGHLY competitive games, as in, career-level)

I haven't even finished reading the thread, but this is definitely worth quoting so more people see it.

Same argument applies to headphones/headsets and many other products. A whole lot of nonsense goes on about "gaming" or "music" etc, but in reality a good pair of cans with accurate sound reproduction and a good sound stage is just plain better.

Same is true for soooo many things...

STEvil
01-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Yup.

I got tired of waiting for eyefinity and 120hz so I just picked up a 46" Toshiba Regza. In 1-2 years when things are fleshed out maybe i'll find a couple more ;)

Blacky
01-30-2010, 09:50 PM
If you meant to link to Newegg, you ended up linking right back to this page. :)

hahaha didn't noticed! thanks! its fixed!

RPGWiZaRD
02-02-2010, 06:33 AM
I haven't even finished reading the thread, but this is definitely worth quoting so more people see it.

Same argument applies to headphones/headsets and many other products. A whole lot of nonsense goes on about "gaming" or "music" etc, but in reality a good pair of cans with accurate sound reproduction and a good sound stage is just plain better.

Same is true for soooo many things...

Can't quite agree with you there. I think what's most important is your own preferences and what it will be used for, for some people accuracy in colors or accuracy in sound isn't necessarily the most important. I for example prefer headphones with somewhat exaggerated low frequency response being a basshead listening to trance/breakbeats etc and would return a high quality one if bass response isn't satisfying enough even if the higher frequency range sounds godlike. When it comes to monitors I prefer performance over image quality, no matter how great it looks, it doesn't matter if the feeling isn't great as well where 120Hz is definitely a huge bonus where motion is represent much more smoother and life-like. There are no 60Hz LCDs no matter the price I'd rather use than even the cheapest 120Hz LCDs if I was only limited to one monitor, for some specific uses I could ofc rather use a good 60Hz IPS panel rather than 120Hz TN but I can't stand gaming on a 60Hz LCD for example (I tried forcing me to but couldn't and ended up holding onto trinitron CRTs until 120Hz LCDs showed up), then I'd rather turn to a cheap CRT.

One_Hertz
02-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Just a quick note... 120hz + vsync + 120fps still produces enough input lag for me to turn vsync off. It isn't anywhere near as bad as 60hz + 60fps vsync, but still not as good as no vsync. If you are really sensitive to input lag like me and want the positives of vsync then unfortunately 120hz is not the solution.

120hz is still great though :)

RPGWiZaRD
02-02-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't use vsync with my VX2268wm as tearing is much less of an issue with 120Hz. Many games also comes with built-in fps limiters like UT3 (well any UEngine3 game at least) which I still keep playings for hours daily.

STEvil
02-02-2010, 06:14 PM
A note on colors guys:

If you have only a certain range of colors you might miss the person in the red uniform on the red background...

Blacky
03-08-2010, 03:48 AM
ASUS (http://www.techpowerup.com/116739/ASUS_Unveils_a_Host_of_New_Products_for_the_Gaming _Community.html) has announced their VG236H and the world's largest 120Hz gaming monitor, the 27" PG276H. They should be available for Q2 :D