PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Best Amd Board

spyvy
08-15-2002, 08:54 AM
OK WHO MAKES THE BEST OVERALL MAINBOARDS .FOR AMD SOCKET A WITH THE NEW VIA333 / with the best overclocking .through the bios./ performance / stability/ And just the best beast around. There is so many reviews im lost .. what is your thoughts?????????????????????????????????????????: D

Entuscan
08-15-2002, 09:04 AM
Abit Rocks since the KR7A
KX7 is great now if you need /5 divider

Don't know why as i can get 218Mhz using a /4 divider on my KR7A :) just need memory that can go that high maxed timings :)

septimus
08-15-2002, 11:42 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure that most people on these forums will reccomend the epox 8k3a or the abit kx7... I personally have a kx7 and its decent. I hear good things about shuttle boards however.

prsinger
08-15-2002, 12:17 PM
My first socket A board was an Epox 8K7A+. Very stable, nice features, decent performance. I now have an Abit AT7, and it's a terrific board. As far as overclocking, it's probably a bit behind Abit's KX7, but it has other great features which for me and my air-cooled overclocking made it the right choice. I run it 24/7, crunching SETI and all my home office tasks, and it's been problem-free - except for its out-of-the-box incompatibility with the stock (locked) Thoroughbred processors. Same goes for the KX7. But since unlocking the 2200+ T-bred is so simple, and Abit is good about RMA's to correct this issue if you want to run your T-bred locked, this is a minor negative.

I have a second system I run for beta testing and SETI, with a 2200+ T-bred on a Shuttle AK35GT2R. This board booted the locked T-bred no problem. Its overclocking is not up to the KX7 level, but I have it running 24/7 with the FSB at 143 for 1937 MHz and 39deg. C without hardly trying. Not too shabby! AT $95 from Newegg, it's a tremendous value - $7 less than the KX7R, $10 less than the Epox 8K5A2+ (which I have no experience with) and $57 less (!) than the AT7.

So for top OC, you can't go wrong with the KX7R. For legacy-free and almost as good OC, the AT7's the only game in town. On a cost to value basis, go Shuttle!

SPQQKY
08-16-2002, 01:47 AM
The EPoX EP-8K3A/+ is another great board. The Abit kx7-333 only allows 1.85vcore where as the EPoX allows 2.2vcore and 3.2vdimm. I am not sure what vdimm the Abit provides. The Abit's BIOS are more tweakable than the EPoX, so it is a toss up. You can get better overclocks with the EPoX without doing any volt mods or a bit better performance at lower overclocks on the Abit. Tough decision.

prsinger
08-16-2002, 08:53 AM
Well, the choice just got tougher. Abit's website has posted their new VIA KT400 chipset based AT7MAX2, KD7 and KD7-RAID:

Abit (http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/products.jsp?pSEARCH_PRODUCT_TYPE=MotherBoard)

Others are no doubt coming out too. And then there's nForce2...