PDA

View Full Version : AMD puts three/four cores into laptops "Danube coming"

ajaidev
01-12-2010, 12:23 AM
"Advanced Micro Devices will put triple-core processors into laptops to fill a power and performance gap, the company said.

Laptops today contain either dual-core or quad-core processors, and offering a triple-core CPU could bring laptops that are faster than the dual-core chips but more power efficient than quad-core processors, said Bob Grim, director of client product marketing, at an AMD event during the Consumer Electronics Show. The chips will ship by the end of the first half of this year..."

http://news.techworld.com/mobile-wireless/3209934/amd-puts-three-cores-into-laptops/

So its confirmed Danube is near, i love the 2ghz quad :yepp: if its laptops are priced well i am thinking about getting one instead of a dual core ultra light laptop that i am getting. :D

nn_step
01-12-2010, 04:22 PM
But at what wattage is the real question.

informal
01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
But at what wattage is the real question.

I think there will be 35W triple core models. Should be a good balance between duals and quads.Faster in encoding and rendering than most duals(50% more cores,Mhz won't help duals much) and more power friendly ,but slower of course,than quads. Games are usually shader bound these days so a low clocked "tripler" should do a trick quite well,especially in games like GTA4 and the likes,where more cores are utilized(provided there is a semi-capable gfx card inside the laptop of course).

Manicdan
01-12-2010, 05:08 PM
i think the best part is that nothing will feel slow. sure some things might like the more mhz a duel can have, and others might like the quads extra core, but with a tricore everything should feel good, nothing bad, nothing great, just all gooooooood

wuttz
01-12-2010, 05:28 PM
.. but with a tricore everything should feel good, nothing bad, nothing great, just all gooooooood

are you sure youre still talking about a tri-core and not a three-some? :p::p::p:

Aerwidh
01-12-2010, 06:01 PM
are you sure youre still talking about a tri-core and not a three-some? :p::p::p:

If so, what are some people really talking about when they mention hexa-cores and the like? :para: