PDA

View Full Version : 5870 Waterblock Roundup

jellyrole
01-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I am going to be doing a roundup of all the 5870 waterblocks, or at least as many as I can get, and need to know what all you guys want me to test/how. Temperature will obviously be tested, but is there anything else?

This is the loop specs:
5870 Blocks(one at a time) duh
Swiftech QPR 3x120 (fans undecided)
MCP655 pump
Koolance 350 i7 block<<Removed
Feser UV Red 1/2" ID tubing

CPU block will not be in place for this round.

So far I have the Aqua block on the way, Eddy should be sending me one due to an agreement he set up, and I have contacted the other companies. Koolance told me to contact their resellers, which I did talk to PerformancePCS and FrozenCPU, so hopefully I will get some more replies about this tomorrow.

If you are a company representative and have a block you would like to have included in this roundup, please contact me via private message, thanks!

SoulsCollective
01-11-2010, 10:46 PM
You're not going to be able to do a proper review with a CPU block in the loop. The point of a review is not to say "this is my experience" - that's what a product discussion thread is for. The point of a review is to provide some clear facts (usually pressure drop and temp delta for waterblocks) which folks can then extrapolate from accurately to get an idea of how the block will work in their system. If you have uncontrolled (and, in this case, nigh uncontrollable) variables, the data is not useful.

Eddy_EK
01-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Try to get as many water blocks as possible.
At least 3 of them.
EK, Aquacomputer, Koolance, + DD...
Testing less than 3 blocks for me is not worth, like I wrote you on e-mail.

Baulten
01-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Take the CPU out of the loop for testing. It's an uncontrollable variable. I understand you're trying to measure "real world" use but it's going to screw up the test results.

It would also be useful to measure the pressure drop and flowrate changes through the blocks, if you have the supplies.

jellyrole
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Okay, I can do that I guess..what equipment would I need to test pressure and flowrate changes, and also what can I use to measure the temperature of the water itself?

jellyrole
01-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Any one else have input on this?

Hondacity
01-13-2010, 11:29 AM
one website has done a comprehensive review already..

Kenjiwing
01-13-2010, 11:58 AM
You got a link honda?

Vetalar
01-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Kenjiwing

this for example (http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/wasserkuehlung/78095-extreme-review-das-grosse-wakue-roundup-hd-5870-oc.html)

sprayingmango
01-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Skinnee Labs has the best reviews possible....why try to reinvent the wheel? Hasn't this already been beat to death? I'm curious, what background and reputation do you have that even qualifies you to be a "trusted" source?

Jamesrt2004
01-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Skinnee Labs has the best reviews possible....why try to reinvent the wheel? Hasn't this already been beat to death? I'm curious, what background and reputation do you have that even qualifies you to be a "trusted" source?

the fact he is willing to put in the many MANY hours it takes.

jellyrole
01-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Yea, just because someones done already doesn't mean I may will have the same results/can't do it myself. And I enjoy doing these types of things would really like to learn how to better test and analyze these hardware cooling solutions.

woffen
01-13-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't think skinnee does gpu waterblocks either so someone doing those on a regular basis would be quite cool. Everyone has to start somewhere so go for it if you have the time and money, guess all that equipment is quite expensive. Good luck btw:up:

skinnee
01-13-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't think skinnee does gpu waterblocks either so someone doing those on a regular basis would be quite cool. Everyone has to start somewhere so go for it if you have the time and money, guess all that equipment is quite expensive. Good luck btw:up:

I do, its just a matter of having/being able to get the "Popular" GPU's at the time. GPU block testing is the most expensive set of tests you can do. Its about $1000 US every 3 months.

My trip to CES had a lot to do with getting more testing done for the community. I am very excited about some of the groundwork that was done in Vegas, luckily all of you will benefit from that work.

:toast:

Hondacity
01-13-2010, 01:52 PM
i just read that power supply test at your website....

lol

skinnee
01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
:shrug:

I never reviewed a Power Supply... Johnny Guru has that on lock.

woffen
01-13-2010, 01:56 PM
I do, its just a matter of having/being able to get the "Popular" GPU's at the time. GPU block testing is the most expensive set of tests you can do. Its about $1000 US every 3 months.

My trip to CES had a lot to do with getting more testing done for the community. I am very excited about some of the groundwork that was done in Vegas, luckily all of you will benefit from that work.

:toast:

Ok, I haven't just stumbled upon one yet then:)

That sounds really good and I can't for more of your tests!

Hondacity
01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
:shrug:

I never reviewed a Power Supply... Johnny Guru has that on lock.

i know you didn't...

http://techarkade.com/

jellyrole
01-13-2010, 08:00 PM
This probably won't become a every round type of thing, I just don't have that kind of money as I'm going to college next year(yes..I'm 18).

@Hondacity, what did you think of that review? I'm trying to get more and more detailed with the more products I review.

Hondacity
01-13-2010, 08:07 PM
i suggest you read jonnyguru.com hardocp.com etc

**try doing dual cards....

jellyrole
01-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Hardocp is out of the question I can't stand that site, but I will take a look at jonnyguru.

leo_bsb
01-14-2010, 08:22 AM
www.hardwaresecrets.com
it is brazilian based but the reviews are made in USA. Very good PSU tests, with loads, components, etc.
Johnyguru is the other one I trust, they actually share a lot.