PDA

View Full Version : Looking for MB with hardware OCing.

Frag Maniac
01-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Let me first preface by saying I don't want this thread to be derailed by manual BIOS OCing advice, that's not what it's intent is. I'm primarily looking for answers, esp from those having used such boards, on questions about built in hardware OC tech that can be used easily by those not wanting to manual OC.

I've been reading a bit about the MSI OC Genie and ASUS TurboV EVO tech in the latest P55 offerings by both manufacturers. So far I'm leaning toward TurboV EVO for it's incremental approach with careful stability testing vs MSI's extremely quick method. Let me be clear though that I want not just the OC app, but a MB with the actual onboard OCing processor as well.

1) What is the lowest model of ASUS MB price wise that has the TurboV EVO tech with onboard OCing processor?

2) Does Gigabyte have a MB with an OC processor now or coming to market?

3) Are there any X58 MBs with OC processors now or coming to market?

4) If anyone's used this tech in auto mode where it adjusts all or most settings for you, what were the results?

I know some are probably thinking I could find out some of these answers on my own, but so far I've found ASUS' advertising compared to review comments indicate it's not easy to determine what exact OC tech you're getting.

Example:

ASUS' P7P55D-E Pro feature list...

* True USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s Support
* Hybrid Processor - TurboV EVO
* Hybrid Phase16 Hybrid Phase Power Design
* Quad-GPU SLI & Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support!
* MemOK!

Techgage's review of the P7P55D-E Pro (only one I could find)

http://techgage.com/article/asus_p7p55d-e_pro/9

"For some reason, ASUS didn't include the TurboV EVO overclocking tool as it had with the P7P55D PRO, and it's unfortunate, as it was quite nice. For those who might not have caught that article, why the program rocked is that it didn't give you some wimpy overclock, but something really impressive. It might not have been entirely stable, but it certainly wouldn't be far off the mark.

With this board, ASUS included Intel's Extreme Tuning application instead, which is fine, but it's not near as nice to deal with as the TurboV EVO, and for the most part, it's a lot more manual."

So it would appear the OCing app is just as important as the OCing chip built in, but I DO want both. Basically I want the most comprehensive OCing tech included in a MB that will do a fairly high auto (not manual) OC (at least 30%) with rock solid stability.

I was initially considering an X58 MB with an i7 920 (IF I can find any X58 MBs with good OCing tech) or an i7 960 and skip the OC. I am considering an i7 860/P55 setup though.

Lastly, I'd like to keep the price reasonable. It would appear if the P7P55D-E Pro doesn't actually have TurboV EVO, the cheapest ASUS MB with this tech may be their Delue model, which goes for around $220 even in the non "E" version.

MSI has a MB with OC Genie for only $160, but I feel I'd be compromising quality, stability and reliability with their product. I've also found their support has gotten much worse in the last few years.