PDA

View Full Version : Dual-monitor offset issues

Bobsama
01-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi. Recently I got a second LCD for my desktop, but I've been running into problems with setting the screen offset.

Basic problem is that the offset is constantly resetting itself. Every time the screen resolution changes (which includes launching most/all full-screen games, even those that are setup to run at 1920x1080), the offset resets itself. Is there a way to more finely set screen offset than directly through Windows? I tried Catalyst CC but it's a lot bulkier than Windows at setting screen offsets.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5681/smdscn0169.jpg

I have it set like this...
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/4416/screenoffsets.jpg

Every time I launch a full-screen game, it resets the offset and makes the top of each screen even. Offset is 96px, which is almost exactly perfect for the 1" height difference at the top of the screen. Is there any program that'll let me force the screen offset at 96px? Or at least force it at the click of a button?

STEvil
01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I used CCC and it worked fine for me, never changed. I'm using XP-64 though.

I'd just lift the one monitor up or lower the other a bit.

Bobsama
01-10-2010, 05:41 PM
I used CCC and it worked fine for me, never changed. I'm using XP-64 though.

I'd just lift the one monitor up or lower the other a bit.

Which won't quite work. I'm a bit short on :banana::banana::banana::banana: to stack under the amp, putting much more on top of it will cause it to overheat, plus I sort of depend on that top edge of the left so my mouse doesn't "drift" past the corner. In short, I love how the desk is setup, I hate how there's the constant issue with ATI CCC refusing to use a 96px offset and every game resetting it to a 0px offset.

And it's not every game that's annoying me; some of them are good and play nice (ie: L4D2), though others (ie: GTA4) don't play nice.

STEvil
01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Have you set the offset, rebooted, then tried a game? I need to reboot between some CCC settings so they will stick.

SoulsCollective
01-10-2010, 11:04 PM
I have a very similar setup, except using a 24" and a 15", and the 15" is a lot lower down than your secondary. Win7 Pro x64, Cat 9.12 Hotfix. So, all I can say is that it should work.

Have you tried a driver uninstall, DriverCleaner sweep, and reinstall?

Bobsama
01-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I have a very similar setup, except using a 24" and a 15", and the 15" is a lot lower down than your secondary. Win7 Pro x64, Cat 9.12 Hotfix. So, all I can say is that it should work.

Have you tried a driver uninstall, DriverCleaner sweep, and reinstall?

Won't work. I've done that before, including on my previous dual-monitor setup (the 19" 1680x1050 LCD and a 16" 1280x1024 CRT). The problem I run into is that some games reset the offset when they reset resolution, which shouldn't happen. :shrug: Trying it through CCC gives me like a 192px offset (which means I'd have to raise the 2nd monitor another inch, which is actually quite awkward). Otherwise, AMD thinks they're doing me a favor by making smaller offsets impossible.:shakes: