PDA

View Full Version : Forum Sig?

JToolz
12-11-2003, 11:19 AM
How do you guys create your own sigs? Also what software do you use or do you all use photoshop? I want to make my own sig so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

koensa
12-11-2003, 12:20 PM
me toO

Vitalizer
12-11-2003, 12:31 PM
try to mod a picture with effects and stuff with photoshop or paintshop

Kurupt
12-11-2003, 01:03 PM
potoshop cs / anything that can make pretty pictures I can get my hands on

Twisted
12-11-2003, 01:05 PM
photoshop

ctgilles
12-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Kurupt, your sig must be one of the most simple here on the forum :D And yet, I seem to be drawn to it, great sig :)

Death ++
12-11-2003, 02:42 PM
i always seem to be drawn to ctgilles' avatars

Kurupt
12-11-2003, 03:38 PM
sorry for the hijack

Chris_F
12-11-2003, 08:40 PM
Photoshop isn't really that hard to learn.

Kurupt
12-11-2003, 10:42 PM
hmmm ... ok thats way many people spend many years in schoo for it?

CrashOveride
12-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Kurupt

They are suckers or don't learn well on their own. There is enough info on the net that with a little work you can learn just as much as somone who goes to school for it.

sky
12-12-2003, 03:37 AM
@crashoveride
yep exactly my point.
i don't see the point of taking courses for learning the basics in ps since photoshop can be learned real easy by try-and-error. anyway, there's loads of tutorials on the net for those that need them. and some are actually real good, so even long time ps'ers can learn something.
btw.. i've never taken a course to learn photoshop but when i went to business school, we had to take a course. pretty worthless course it was, when your teacher doesn't know half the stuff her pupils know... so we taught her how ps is working.. "dodge / burn, what's that for?" doh ;)

ctgilles
12-12-2003, 06:07 AM
Kurupt, great sig :) mate
Maybe a small improvement can be done by making ctgilles -> ctgilles? ;) TIA :)

ctgilles
12-12-2003, 08:52 AM
Fixed myself *so proud* :D
Where'd you get the pics of those pills? Kinda kewl :)

Kurupt
12-12-2003, 09:47 AM
To learn the basics of Photoshop is not that hard. But same with C++ and Flash its always easy making point and click boxes.

But now lets get into airbrushing and all that fun stuff..

And you have just beautiful work like,

http://www.mediamanifest.com
http://www.davidkahl.com

Also look at these pictures done 100% in photoshop

Kurupt
12-12-2003, 09:48 AM
Very Clean

Kurupt
12-12-2003, 09:51 AM
This guy is just like a god sent to photoshop.. And if photoshop is sooo easy to learn can you make me something like this?

ctgilles
12-12-2003, 10:20 AM
sibaudio - Medicine 2
Stock photo's rock :)

JToolz
12-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Have you guys read any books to learn how to use the photoshop cs better?

ctgilles
12-12-2003, 11:06 AM
e-books

Kurupt
12-12-2003, 11:52 AM
The only books that I read r ones that teach you about colors "kinda hard to explain" and about differnt fonts and size and blah blah blah.

Chris_F
12-12-2003, 03:04 PM

Sorry, I didn't know you had to go to Photoshop school to be good with it. It's just that I've been around so many talented young FX artists that haven't yet gone to any FX schools.

CrashOveride
12-12-2003, 03:44 PM
This guy is just like a god sent to photoshop.. And if photoshop is sooo easy to learn can you make me something like this?

The basics are easy, if I had other important uses for photoshop I woud probably take the time to learn it and eventualy be able to do that (I hope). If you HAVE to go to school for it then who taught the people who teach it? Being that good does take time and skill but making sigs and such takes substantially less, not to mention that for somthing like that you have to draw it as well and I don't have that good of skilz

sky
12-12-2003, 05:04 PM
weeeelllll... what you can learn in fx-schools or lessons is how to use photoshop and all its effects. like what's dodge for, how to use gaussian blur or masking (just cheesy examples here). you can also pick up on composition of pics, lightning and such. but that is merely the technical side of drawing.
you have to have a talent for stuff like that. that talent is not very equally spread (good or bad, your call) and it shows in various places. and you can't learn talent - you can pick up technique and all those little bits of knowledge that help you understand what you are drawing and why it has to be done this or that way to look good, but you cannot learn to have talent.
if you are not as talented as other people, you have to study their work, suck in all the details, and try working it out for yourself. at first maybe by simply copying the work of others - a method that has been subject of many (very) heated discussions in the computer art scene over the past decade.
while copying you spend a good deal of time analyzing the reference pic and thus you start seeing why and how the picture is working. and so by and by you slowly pick up some unconscious understanding of that pic (maybe even conscious, which would be even better since that speeds up the learning process). and so you improve your technique step by step until - hopefully - your pics aren't much different to those of the highly talented people. just that drawing comes easier to them - that's the actual difference in talent and technique. after all - to me at least - talent is the unconscious knowledge and use of technique as opposed to practise.

well anyway.. i guess i got carried away ;)

so about the pics posted in here - really nice stuff, tho i prefer realistic (looking) pictures. and given the right amount of practise, one could get close to that. especially with that comic-style pic up there. if you can do good outlines, 1/2 to 3/4 of the pic is done since this is the part that influences the picture the most later on - and if you're not colorblind ;) the coloring / texturing shouldn't be to hard based on those outlines. and that is the part that is easier to pick up (blabla technique, see above).