PDA

View Full Version : Proper Codecs for ps3

Monkeywoman
01-09-2010, 12:21 AM
I finished downloading season 1-8 of entourage. on my pc hard drive it weighs in at 18Gig. I went to copy them to my ps3 hard drive using Java PS3 media server; I set it up and let it go, 4 hours later i get back and i have a message on my tv saying im out of space on my ps3...i had 120gig free before the transfer.

I noticed that the program kept the format of .avi but also made copies of the audio too, some how it filled the 120gigs.

Is there a format that will be playable on my ps3 but will remain around 20gigs?

zanzabar
01-09-2010, 12:23 AM
ive been using wmv (aka vc1) and dont put anything over 720p it upscales nicely and 1080 takes 3-4x the space

also tversity is better for a media center app as it works better and u dont need the JRE to contaminate your computer
http://tversity.com/

Monkeywoman
01-09-2010, 12:33 AM
ive been using wmv (aka vc1) and dont put anything over 720p it upscales nicely and 1080 takes 3-4x the space

also tversity is better for a media center app as it works better and u dont need the JRE to contaminate your computer
http://tversity.com/

just installed the pro version of tv versity, going to set it up. any good programs for .avi to vc1 i should look out for?

zanzabar
01-09-2010, 12:40 AM
i use river past and then select wmv then windows media player 9. it also works with divx but i dont think that it works with the latest one but its about the same size as the wmv

tversity though will dynamicly convert and it can do 720p over wireless G

Soulburner
04-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Why don't you just play the files over your network?

Or copy them to the PS3 HDD without trans-coding to a different format?

Xello
04-30-2010, 07:19 AM

Yeah you need to use Flash instead :rolleyes:

General consensus around a/v forums and i personally agree with it is that ps3ms is the superior app to tversity, very trim and does a fantastic job with any format you throw at it i've found.

I'm not sure about your size problem OP, i generally use ps3ms to browse files on my pc as needed and stream them on the fly, works wonders even with full 1080p over wireless :up: It's possible you need to look at your transcode settings.