PDA

View Full Version : pump storage question

jinsean
01-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I used to have 2 Dtek DB-1s running in my loop, but I'm only using 1 now. Are there any precautions I should take w/ storing a pump for long periods?

I want to be able to use it again a year or 2 down the line if my current pump ever fails.

While, I was cleaning out my loop, I just made sure to rinse the pump out w/ distilled water. Maybe I should open it up and see if there's gunk in there that should be cleaned... it's been in use for 2 years and if the gunk that forms on the waterblocks is any indicator, then there must be some crap inside the pump as well.

The first year, I used the g11 pentosin from PTS, but the 2nd year I switched over to just distilled water and PT nuke.

Thanks.

HazChem
01-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I would open it up and clean it as much as you can before storing it. Usually there is a film of residue all over the insides.

I also used pentosin on my 655. I opened it, cleaned it and stored it for and it fired up like it was brand new 8 months later.

jinsean
01-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah. Good call.

I was hesitant about opening up the pump, but I guess it wont be a big deal. Thanks.

HazChem
01-08-2010, 03:49 PM
While it's open, I would check the condition of the o-ring. If you can't get it clean enough or it looks degraded, make sure you replace it before you put it back in service. Wouldn't want it to leak!!

jinsean
01-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Small update on the Dtek db-1. There's no way to open up this pump. I emailed Dtek and they said that the pump is sealed tight w/ epoxy. I'm guessing this is why the pump can be submersible.

The best they can suggest is to rinse w/ warm water.

NaeKuh
01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
if the pump is submersible, then just fill your sink with warm water.

As its filling put a drop of liquid soap, even Palmolive will work.

Then put the pump inside, and shake it til no tomorrow.

Then put the inlet of the pump to the faucet, and use the faucet water pressure to rinse out.