PDA

View Full Version : Soyo SY-P4X400 just came in

Unshra
08-15-2002, 06:21 AM
I’m well aware of Soyo’s history in the OC arena, and much like Asus they tend to be hit and miss with a few that just go up in smoke. Since the current SIS468 based motherboards don’t seem to be performing well and Asus P4T533 also has some problems (both could be fixed in a BIOS update) I decided to buy the SY-P4X400 Ultra.

Just got the board in today and will run some test once I get home. Hopefully this board fairs better then the current SIS468 based boards. I’ll post my thoughts once I run some tests.

For those who don’t know the SY-P4X400 Ultra is based off the VIA Apollo P4X400 chipset.

Wish me luck.

-Unshra

Silversink
08-18-2002, 01:49 PM
I've had my eye on that board and will be interested in your findings ;)

Hardass
08-18-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Silversink
I've had my eye on that board and will be interested in your findings ;)
Which eye?;)

Unshra
08-18-2002, 06:37 PM
Bad news, the board I got was as close to DOA as you could get. The system would only boot if the BIOS was cleared, it didn't matter is the bios was cleared before you would have to do it again in order to boot the system. This was very upsetting since features like on board sound and even the boot order could not be set as you would have to clear the BIOS once you restarted after the save. This was very annoying and I'm currently RMA it, hopefully this as just a bad board I'd hate to see this happened to someone else.

I've decided to switch to the VIA P4PB400 which is based off the same chipset, and has gotten good reviews from VR-Zone. Well I'll stay away from Soyo a bit longer :p

So for right now I'm back on my aopen until the VIA comes in.