PDA

View Full Version : desperate help needed!!!! please :)

thedan55
01-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey lads i hope everyone had a brilliant xmas and is having
a good new year!!

ive recently got myself a new intel core2quad qx6700 extreme.

i bought it specifically because it was really cheap and a good overclocker and ive always wanted an extreme processor.

ive been overclocking this chip for the last 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!! and i just cant get a stable system to complete a prime95 test. the longest i ever got before a bsod on prime95 was test 6

here are some of the results i came to that were kind of stable but wud fail in prime95

as its an asus maximus formula 2 its got loadsa settings. ive not changed all of them obviously
my fsb is 345 x 10x

CPU VCORE-1.33750
PLL V-1.53975
FSB TERMINATION/VTT- 1.31200
DRAM V- 1.86625

THIS CRASHED ALOT AND FINALLY TWEAKED TO GET TEST 6 AND BSOD ON PRIME95

i then did alot of reading then came to this point

my fsb is 290 x 12x

CPU VCORE-1.37500
PLL V-1.53975
FSB TERMINATION/VTT- 1.31200
DRAM V- 1.89275 (ram is running at 872mhz)
NBCORE - 1.24575
SB CORE 1.5 - 1.50000
SB 1.1 CORE - 1.10000

THIS LASTED FOR ABOUT 5 - 10 MINS THEN BSOD'D ON ME AND IS ALMOST ALWAYS CORE 4 ON PRIME95

this is really stressing me out and i really wanted thiS cpu to work well so i could get on with my stuff . I feel really disappointed lol
i must have started from scratch like 15 times!

any help will be greatly appreciated as im banging my head on a concrete wall and just out of mind as to what to do, i have no more ideas left on what im doing wrong or what settings to try.

any help will be taken with open arms lol

kind regards

Leeghoofd
01-06-2010, 10:35 PM
When you say test 6 is that in Small FFT mode or are you running blend or large ? Which cooling are you running ?

Musho
01-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Are you sure you aren't running tight timings with that RAM? The voltages should be plenty to pass those tests, and BSODs sound like RAM-related problems. Try relaxing the timings, or upping the RAM voltage. Try running 5-5-5-15 timings first. Also have a look at your performance level. It might be too tight. Set it at 10 and go from there. If everything is stable you can try tightening things up to increase performance. Does prime pass on stock clocks by the way? There might be a non-OCing related issue, too. Good luck! :up:

In-Fluence
01-07-2010, 03:45 AM
^ What musho says ^

I should point out that my old Q6600 didn't play ball with this board very well at all. I wasted months trying to tune mine back up to 3.6GHz on the MIIF, and never got it stable like I previously had it. Your QX may be able to go further though as you've got that nice, unlocked multi so you wont have to push the FSB so much. Have you tried 266x13? I think that way you could rule out your memory if set correctly and then you can just focus on CPU clock. What are your temperatures all around like?

thedan55
01-07-2010, 06:21 AM
im running small ffts.

ive kept the memory timing to thier original values- as in 5-5-5-15

i dont understand what you mean by too tight? i tried 266 x 13 but just couldnt even get it to start the POST so decided to leave it on 12. so i should try and up the mem voltage.......ill try it and let everyone know.

i must say thank you so much for the help i really really do appreciate it lads :yepp:

oh and my cooling is air with a scyth mine, im looking to get a corsair h50 and on prime95 load my temps shoot to 77c+ idle is no more than 32c

thedan55
01-07-2010, 06:23 AM
ive been reading around and found to be really disappointed with the problems people are having and how low rated the maximus formula 2 is :(

guess i should have come here first before i bought it, even though it was a while ago lol

andressergio
01-07-2010, 06:33 AM
ive been reading around and found to be really disappointed with the problems people are having and how low rated the maximus formula 2 is :(

guess i should have come here first before i bought it, even though it was a while ago lol

sorry to say mate but many of us experimented that crap on the MF2, i was the one fighting it for months, when i went to GIGA UD3P and saw 500 x9 stable i was shocked...

i think is not your chip maybe you should try at least a giga p45 ud3r

Cheers !!!
Sergio

Biker
01-07-2010, 06:53 AM
sorry to say mate but many of us experimented that crap on the MF2, i was the one fighting it for months, when i went to GIGA UD3P and saw 500 x9 stable i was shocked...

i think is not your chip maybe you should try at least a giga p45 ud3r

Cheers !!!
Sergio

+1

May I suggest ebaying that board asap and grabbing one of the Gigabyte EP45-UD3 series (R or P) so you can finally enjoy some socket 775 quad core win....

Good luck :up:

In-Fluence
01-07-2010, 08:03 AM
There is a full guide written by a chap called Simp in the maximus II thread. Here's the link. (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3572470&postcount=2718)

I would say it might be worth trying that out to see what you can get out of it. I managed 3.5 stable, but it wouldn't go further easily. Things might work out a bit differently as you have an unlocked multiplier, so FSB doesn't have to be an issue, but it's still worth trying to find your maximum FSB using a 6x multiplier, then increase the multiplier and vcore from there, don't try to just randomly choose speeds, this kind of board takes a fair bit of tuning, and the best way is to work your way up, and test, test, test.
If you can get your hands on a UD3p/r then do so, as these are the best for quads and take a lot less time to tune. I would say that if you like all the features, and just want a comfortable over:banana::banana::banana::banana: then this board is adequate, but dont expect to push your chip too far.

thedan55
01-07-2010, 09:16 AM
There is a full guide written by a chap called Simp in the maximus II thread. Here's the link. (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3572470&postcount=2718)

I would say it might be worth trying that out to see what you can get out of it. I managed 3.5 stable, but it wouldn't go further easily. Things might work out a bit differently as you have an unlocked multiplier, so FSB doesn't have to be an issue, but it's still worth trying to find your maximum FSB using a 6x multiplier, then increase the multiplier and vcore from there, don't try to just randomly choose speeds, this kind of board takes a fair bit of tuning, and the best way is to work your way up, and test, test, test.
If you can get your hands on a UD3p/r then do so, as these are the best for quads and take a lot less time to tune. I would say that if you like all the features, and just want a comfortable over:banana::banana::banana::banana: then this board is adequate, but dont expect to push your chip too far.

ill keep trying on this, im unbelievably disappointed at the reviews of this board as i though it was a decent board!!!! i really can afford another board at the so ill keep trying along lol hopefully ill get there one day :shrug::shakes:

ill have a look at that link seems to have some good info. to be honest if i can get 3.5 stable ill be happy. im really supprised its not a good board :shakes::shakes::shakes:

dayum

thedan55
01-07-2010, 09:24 AM
hey i read the article that was linked

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3572470&postcount=2718

few questions...is it better to push the fsb or the multi? after loads of reading i thoght it was better to push the multi rather than the fsb if you can.

what the difference with pushing the fsb rather than the multi and vice versa?

oh and the guide is actually for the same cpu that ive got!!!! so thats helpfull, but hes running a 500fsb and a 7x multi which i found strange???

thedan55
01-08-2010, 04:45 PM
so is it better to push the fsb or the multi? after loads of reading i thoght it was better to push the multi rather than the fsb if you can.

am just wondering will this guide still work if im using a higher multi and a lower fsb as opposed to the opposite like he has?