PDA

View Full Version : NAD T741 AVR, good buy?

Ch@pS
01-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi guys, need your opinion on something. I have the chance to get a well looked after NAD T741 AVR for R1300, or $180. Sure it has no HDMI but I'm not to phased about that right now, especially at that price. Good or bad deal? How good is NAD as a brand?

http://www.av-land.co.uk/nad/t741/t741.jpg

Then assuming I do get it, whats the best way to link it up to a PC for the best possible sound?

Thanks

Donnie27
01-06-2010, 05:27 AM
Hi guys, need your opinion on something. I have the chance to get a well looked after NAD T741 AVR for R1300, or $180. Sure it has no HDMI but I'm not to phased about that right now, especially at that price. Good or bad deal? How good is NAD as a brand?

http://www.av-land.co.uk/nad/t741/t741.jpg

Then assuming I do get it, whats the best way to link it up to a PC for the best possible sound?

Thanks

NAD is a very good brand name!

For a PC (that's not part of a HTPC) that NAD is a good buy.

Dr_Swizz
01-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Generally NAD is good brand, they give great value for your money.
I do own two of their products: One stereo amplifier that is great (it is a C350) and a T761 reciever that is mediocre. Be sure sure to do some googling for reviews of the T741; If it is anything like the T761, you might want to consider buying something else.

Ch@pS
01-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Well I bought the NAD T741 and can say that so far I'm impressed. :) Sound quality is really a step up from my last setup, the sounds is alot warmer now. Running it with a set of TLS reference 5.1 speakers(not great quality, the next thing I need to upgrade), connected to my PC via Optical cable.

All in all I'm pretty happy as this is my first venture into a real home theatre setup(before I had a Panasonic SA-HT70 home theatre system which was ok at best) and for the price I paid the quality is good.

Donnie27
01-07-2010, 06:17 AM
Generally NAD is good brand, they give great value for your money.
I do own two of their products: One stereo amplifier that is great (it is a C350) and a T761 reciever that is mediocre. Be sure sure to do some googling for reviews of the T741; If it is anything like the T761, you might want to consider buying something else.

ALL AVR's costing less than 1.5 to 2 grand suck compared to their Stereo counterparts. That should be the subject of a whole thread alone. It is a lot easier to amplify 2 channels than it is 8:D That's why there is a mad dash by some younger folks to get their hands on Old School Stereo Receivers and AMP Pre-AMP combos.

That said, there aren't many AVR's selling for $180 that will make the 741 seem like a bad deal. I think perspective lost too quickly!

Well I bought the NAD T741 and can say that so far I'm impressed. Sound quality is really a step up from my last setup, the sounds is alot warmer now. Running it with a set of TLS reference 5.1 speakers(not great quality, the next thing I need to upgrade), connected to my PC via Optical cable.

There's better equipment but you'd be hard pressed to find it for $180. My Computer is using a Harmon Kardon 247 AVR but I have the main L&R channels decoupled. The Pre-Amp from the 247 Receiver is connected straight to an Old School Harmon Kardon 730 amp. Let's put it this way, their old 55 Watt per channel kills many so called 130 watt per ch new stuff. Note, the HK 247 is advertised as 35 watts per channel sounds as loud as many of the 100 watt per ch stuff. This is my computer room, not my den.

Ch@pS
02-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Well I bough the NAD and was very happy with it. :D Till it decided to break. :(

There is a short on the control PCB so time to take it in for repairs.

Guess you get what you pay for. :(

Ch@pS
02-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Double post!!

So here's the deal. I switch the AMP on, the LCD shows everything is working fine, 3 seconds later you see a small short on the one PCB through the ventalation fins, AMP turns off and standby light flashes.

That's the problem I faced after having the NAD work perfectly for 4 weeks.

I decided let me clean the area that's shorting with a paint brush, worth a shot right?

After cleaning there is no longer any short, but the AMP still has the same issue. Turn on, flash, turn off. After repeating this 4 times, I stick my face close to the AMP to see if there is a short further down the PCB. Turn it on and BOOM! A huge short right in my face, smoke and alles. :o

After this I decide screw it, don't have time for this anymore. SO I close up the AMP casing. Now the holes for the screws aren't lining up properly, so in my frustration I moer the damn thing with the back of a screw driver. The AMP turns on, and starts working...

What. The. Fook??????

It's now back in my lounge working as well as it ever did.

I will never understand hardware.