PDA

View Full Version : New to WaterCooling, newbie questions!

fggs
01-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Hello everybody!

Like the title says I'm new to watercooling and propably my questions has been covered already but just want to be sure. First a little history, I have a really old rig (Socket 462) and I decided to build a phase change system, but couldn't finished it, then decided to try watercooling. I have XSPC Delta V3 block with 1/2 tubes, Swiftech MCP655-B pump and Swiftech MCW30 for chipset. I'm using silicon hoses. Now the questions:

1) The loop is mounted with fluid but not on motherboard, never used, do I need to dissassembly everything and clean it?
2) Do I need to use some special thermal paste to install it or AS5 should be fine?

That's it for now! Thanks!

irenedakota
01-04-2010, 09:52 AM
1) How long has it been sitting with fluid in it?

2) AS5 will work fine, afaik.

fggs
01-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Wow! That was fast! Thanks for your response irenedakota.

1) I think about an year *shamed*

2) Thanks!

I'm trying to get lower temps without being unsafe, to go higher with my overclock. I think watercooler is safest than chiller and phase-change for a rookie.

Dude_Person
01-04-2010, 11:27 AM
What kind of fluid was inside?

fggs
01-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Glicol (car radiator) diluted with distilled water.

Dude_Person
01-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Unless the alcohol has eaten away at the tubing I don't think it should need cleaning. This has happened before though.

fggs
01-04-2010, 12:54 PM
I think not because there is no licking.

fggs
01-04-2010, 05:24 PM
As english is not my native language and I'm also new to watercooler, can you explain me what "silver coil" is?

Thanks in advance!

irenedakota
01-04-2010, 09:18 PM
It is a coil of pure (99%) silver :) It kills pretty much anything that could grow in your loop.

jellyrole
01-04-2010, 09:29 PM
This is the coil:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/sikibyia.html

fggs
01-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys and sorry for the dumb questions, I couldn't even find it in my country so I guess I will try to run it without cleaning.

irenedakota
01-04-2010, 11:05 PM
What country are you in?

You can buy a 2 gram strip of silver (Make sure it is 99% or higher pure and not Sterling Silver) from any jeweller and then coil it yourself.

I'm getting my silver from a friend (Who is a jeweller)

fggs
01-04-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm from Brazil, but I didn't quite understand where to put it. I know it's in the hose, but where? After the reservoir?

Conumdrum
01-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Anywhere in the loop as long as it doen't move around the loop. The coil is bendable to kinda squeeze into the tubing. it stays where put.

fggs
01-05-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the explanations, but I think I'm gonna try without cleaning and see what happens. I just hope I don't kill the board on the first try.

leo_bsb
01-05-2010, 10:28 AM
fggs, I'm from Brazil too.

I use just deionized water and some copper sulfate. This is fine for a year without major maintenance.

Silver will work too.

I would clean the loop, it is easier when it is not assembled yet. Pm me and I'll help you in Portuguese ;)

fggs
01-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks leo_bsb! I will!

Well, the loop was assembled until today, but not installed on the motherboard. I've found a leak in one of the barbs of chipset block, but was a minor thing, the biggest problem was the mounting plate of cpu block, it hit some of the capacitors, so I'm building a new one. In the mean time I'm installing some heatsinks on the PWM and removed the original heatsink from chipset. A bit of progress :D

scgt1
01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
This is the coil:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/sikibyia.html

Ha thanks for this. I guess they are in stock again. I know they were out a while ago now I know where I can get it. :up:

fggs
01-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Another really newbie question: What's the proper way to mount the block? Mount it on the motherboard and then plug the hose or mount the loop outside motherboard and then fix it? Sorry for the bad english..

Elpy
01-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Another really newbie question: What's the proper way to mount the block? Mount it on the motherboard and then plug the hose or mount the loop outside motherboard and then fix it? Sorry for the bad english..
It doesnt really matter. Just do it the way you find easier :). With a CPU-only loop both are pretty much quite easy. If you will someday add more blocks like GPU, then mounting blocks to hardware first will become a bit easier.

Although attaching the tubing to blocks first is better if you want to test the loop for leaks before having any hardware attached to the blocks.

leo_bsb
01-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I like to put the hoses after mounting the block but I use compression fittings which are easier to mount. Some barbs need some extrar force to put the hoses on and I would try to mount the block after the hose.

fggs
01-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Well, some updates, but some bad news too. I was preparing to remount the loop when a problem ocurred, what do you guys suggest for a solution? Picture below:

fggs
01-07-2010, 05:50 AM
I bought several hoses today, but can't seem to find the right one. Any suggestions PLEASE?! I really want to mount it, perhaps until the end of this month :(

Jamesrt2004
01-07-2010, 06:39 AM
get 2 90 or maybe(if your lucky 2 45 Degree fittings..

fggs
01-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks for your answer James. Well, the biggest distance between the center of northbridge barb and center of cpu barb is about 8cm, maybe it's too short for any hose..

I don't think I will find 45 or 90 fittings for MCW30, they are a little different.

fggs
01-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Do you guys think a coil will be able to fix this? I'm really ancious to have this test rig running! Please give some input!

leo_bsb
01-08-2010, 07:43 PM
that silicon hose is just bad at tight curves.
try the boiling/freezing water method or add coils, those from photocopies shops

Main
01-09-2010, 12:05 AM

It doesnt really matter. Just do it the way you find easier :). With a CPU-only loop both are pretty much quite easy. If you will someday add more blocks like GPU, then mounting blocks to hardware first will become a bit easier.

Although attaching the tubing to blocks first is better if you want to test the loop for leaks before having any hardware attached to the blocks.

I don't agree with Elpy on this one :) - the core on a socket A processor are very fragile and just by chipping the edge of the core could damage the processor in some cases, whilst other cpu's survived a unbeliveable amount of chipping.We never found any "final" answer why.
I personally crushed 3 socket A processors in a day in a vapochill.... it was a expensive day :p:
So I would definetively mounted the waterline on the CPU block first :)

Well, some updates, but some bad news too. I was preparing to remount the loop when a problem ocurred, what do you guys suggest for a solution? Picture below:

If you don't have connectors to sort out this problem I would have used a reinforced hose (i.e. the green garden hoses) .
Another "cheap way around this problem is copperbends used for soldering

RETRO FTW !