PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic, Sony promise 67GB Blu-ray discs

crackhead2k
01-02-2010, 07:09 PM
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/01/02/blu.ray.technique.gives.33pc.free.storage/

Panasonic and Sony on Friday were revealed to have made a technology that could provide a third more space on a Blu-ray disc than existing technology. An evaluation technique known as i-MLSE (Maximum Likelihood Sequence Estimation) would better judge the optical quality when reading and writing discs, letting Blu-ray burners and readers work at up to a higher limit. The companies estimate that they could already produce 33.4GB per layer versus 25GB today and could result in a 66.8GB dual-layer disc.

Unlike some advanced Blu-ray developments, the new approach is primarily dependent on software and wouldn't need new lasers or settings to record the extra capacity, according to Tech-On. Some companies may need to upgrade the processing hardware inside their drives as the advanced correction needs extra performance to be handled in real time.

Sony is particularly hopeful that i-MLSE becomes a widespread standard and is likely to propose it to the Blu-ray Disc Association as part of the spec. The move would give Association members like Apple, Dell, LG and Samsung a new option for data backups and longer-running movies.

individual
01-02-2010, 07:54 PM
I've heard of this also, apparently one of the main reasons they are doing this is to finally bring the 3D movies to the consumer level. Would be great if this was all out by the time avatar 3D is released on blu-ray :D